Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Tiggum posted:

I really love hearing about regional differences, but especially from people who experienced them as outsiders

I've spent many months in America staying at friends houses all over the map, getting more of a feel for day to day stuff than a usual tourist does, and I will tell you the #1 craziest poo poo about the USA -

They wear shoes indoors.
In houses.

No not all of them do, not 100%, and the small percentage that doesn't will be quick to say so, but most of America does, they don't think it's weird or repulsive. When I come back home (to Canada) each time no one believes me. They can't conceive of it. My friends in other countries go nuts when I post photos of this poo poo on facebook as proof.
I will never get used to it no matter how long I'm down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
For real though the food (and gasoline) is so cheap there.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Only Tony Montana could manage to poo poo up a "Tell me about living in the US" thread with angry Australian politics posting, it's kind of magical.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
If any of the innocent parties aren't white they currently have no reason to believe that whatsoever.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Oh the police might very well protect them, but the POC/Latino/etc population of the US has no reason to believe that they will, as the rash of police brutality against them is no myth. You asked about belief.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Tiggum posted:

I don't know if this is an American thing, a people talking poo poo on the internet thing, or maybe a more universal thing that I'm just oblivious to, but it seems to me that Americans have this weird fear of waitstaff spitting in their food. Like, I've never worried about that at all, anywhere. It seems like such an unlikely thing to happen.

This is a tangent from the fact that in cultures where tipping waitstaff is normal and built in to their salaries, there is a significant portion of people who truly believe that the only way to get quality service and food from places is to make sure that the staff must essentially beg and cater to your every whim just to make a basic living wage. They believe that if waitstaff were paid actual career money service would go down and they would have no reason to bring you good food or offer you good service. This is despite no other industry having this issue when the staff is being paid decently, and that this clearly does not happen in non-tipping cultures. It's some combination of paranoia and narcissism.

Yes it is awful. Tipping culture is awful. It creates this mentality.

Here's an article in praise of this system so you can see how sociopathic but totally real these ideas are (yes not america but we have the same poo poo system too)
http://torontolife.com/food/restaurants/the-critic-no-tipping-policy-service-industry-danny-meyer-amanda-cohen-hemant-bhagwani/

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Why are Europeans so afraid of guns?

It's 99% likely that I will never need a gun to protect myself, but I have one anyway just for emergency protection. It's just another preparedness tool like flashlights, radio, bottled water, batteries. I hope I will never need them in a real life or death situation, but nothing wrong with being prepared.

You have "thing that can kill whatever I point it at" in a list along with batteries and water. And not as a hunting item, as a protection device. Considering the need for that as part of basic emergency preparedness involves a level of fear and paranoia that is unmatched in the western world.

America includes a culture of fear that is so hard to express from the outside but it's always there. We don't share the fear YOU have to feel the need for guns, if that makes sense.

So I guess the answer is a question: why are Americans so afraid of each other?

(is it not ironically because of guns?)

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 15, 2017

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

System Metternich posted:

More like oldcomplaintless

Thought of another question: I hardly ever see Americans discussing “villages“, it's always “towns“ or “cities“, and the perception of size seems different as well - I've seen towns with like 40,000 people still being described as “small“. What would you say makes a village and separates small from mid-sized and big towns?

"Village" is an old fashioned term almost no one would use in most contexts outside of describing some kind of storybook theme park or place where Amish people live.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
It's not germs it's just dirty. Literal dirt, from the ground, half the reason we wear shoes in the first place,shouldn't be on carpets or floors of a home.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Shoes worn outdoors aren't clean, dirt is dirty, that's what is on the ground outside. And it's on your shoes.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Tar_Squid posted:

By showing a vaguely dick shaped outline on the screen slowly filling up red white and blue, like the American flag. And then when orgasm was achieved, SPARKLES SHOT OUT THE TIP! Needless to say, the ENTIRE CLASS broke down laughing.

Fourth of July has always been a bit off ever since for me.

Was it this?!?? - :nws: http://i.imgur.com/It5pprg.gif :nws:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Trump.mp4 posted:

I wonder if there is a bigger Catholic/Protestant divide in parts of Europe.

Nope, not at all. Not ever.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Nessa posted:

Here are some examples of Canadian accents.

Captain Bailey from Mass Effect.

That's the actor who played Tigh on Battlestar Galactica, and I do find it interesting that viewers in other countries would not immediately pick up that his accent is rural/hick as gently caress, and have that play in to how they see his character as it did for me.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Pharmaskittle posted:

Oh poo poo I never thought about Canadian strip clubs. Do they throw their loonies, bigger bills, or have some kind of change belt on the dancers?

No one throws bills at all, since everything is done in $5's. So bills are given out far far less, and usually handed to the people directly. No one "makes it rain". Some people stack loonies and toonies at the edge of the stage politely, throwing them will get you thrown out immediately. Sometimes I've seen a sort of game happen where two dancers will come out with a towel held between them for people to throw change into, but this was a trashier place.

This is all based on several places around southern ontario. In Alberta (and only in Alberta) you can throw coins at them. It's disgusting.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Tiggum posted:

It's not though? Even if there was some trees or something there (which there isn't in that picture), why not compress the roads and put the greenery on the sides where people can enjoy it? What's the advantage of those giant traffic islands? I mean, someone presumably designed that road and decided it should be that way.

Exactly. Australia and Canada both have massive amounts of uninhabited wasteland and the roads aren't like that simply because it just doesn't make any sense to build that way.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

zakharov posted:

What should people who don't own land do? You know, like most people in cities, who rent?

That wasn't the context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

married but discreet posted:

Perhaps a stupid question, but I recently got my PhD and am moving to Austin to work as an evolutionary biologist at UTA.

Why would you worry about this on that level at all when you can just say you're a biologist. Period. Like you're worried about landlords and this never occurred to you.

• Locked thread