Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Grandmother of Five posted:

That said, cultural difference on those topics are interesting to hear about and examine in themselves, and I think that this post;

is a great example of a post that is interesting and fits well within the context of an Ask/Tell thread imo. The example of breaking down the different uses of guns; that all guns doesn't serve the same purpose and are tools for different situations, and that you might buy, inherent or collect gun for different reasons makes a lot of sense, whatever your stance on gun control is, I think. Despite not being familiar with firearms, it is fairly easy to recognize that something like handguns, rifles and shotguns are markedly different tools, and that you might own several both as a hobbyist, collector, or for practical purposes. Perhaps that sounds mundane to some, but from the perspective of someone with relatively little experience with and knowledge of fire-arms, I find it interesting, as well as such reasoning as relatively large response times for law-enforcement being a motivating factor when it comes to personal home-defense.

As far as takes on politically charged issues like gun controls, the kind of personal experience and reasoning like in the above quoted posts is interesting in the context of this thread, imo.

Well if you're interested in this, I'll try to add another perspective without hopefully continuing yet another gun control derail.

I think the importance of guns in rural American culture today is largely a modern invention, calling back to a past which never truly existed. My mom's side of the family were homesteaders who owned and lived on a ranch in South Dakota. In ye olden days this was the wild west, and today its stereotypical Red America with tons of trucks, guns, and only country music on the radio. My grandfather owned a gun or two, but I don't know the details because while every family in the area almost certainly owned at least one gun, it was a tool for ranching and not a cultural icon. My uncles who still live there probably also own a gun or two, but again I don't know the details because they don't sit around all day talking about guns. People like my mom's side of the family were poor as hell and didn't have the disposable income to buy a dozen guns, they didn't even have indoor plumbing until like the 1960's and they were significantly better off than a lot of their neighbors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread