Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenalia
May 16, 2005
what

Tiggum posted:

I really love hearing about regional differences, but especially from people who experienced them as outsiders, so if anyone moved to or from America (or even moved to a different part of America) I would love to hear about the things you noticed that were different, things that you had no warning of and just assumed that what you grew up with was the same everywhere. Even just little things like what words mean (eg. grill/broiler) are interesting, but bigger stuff would be great.

ok

I've moved to the US twice for work and have had pretty bad culture shock both times. First was Washington (Seattle, not DC), second was North Carolina. To Americans a lot of this will probably seem silly, but that's culture shock for you!

First and foremost was the driving, you absolutely have to drive everywhere. I grew up used to walking/biking everywhere or taking public transit, since everything was pretty close together. In the US it's more like little islands separated by highways or huge 2-3 lane 45 mph (~75 kmh) roads that are somehow not considered highways. Even living close to a grocery store and trying to walk there occasionally wasn't very fun because the sidewalks are small, the intersections are huge, and you have a constant stream of cars whizzing by at 80 km/h. This was honestly the hardest thing for me because I really like just walking around and taking transit. Maybe it was just me, but it felt like more work to drive to the mall and deal with traffic than just being able to ride the train wherever. I kind-of-sort-of got over it by going to parks on the weekends (which were quite nice and plentiful).

Flags everywhere. Stores have flags, homes have flags, even the pants are flags. I was used to only seeing flags on government buildings, so it felt really weird and a little cultish to me at first. I also learned about the pledge of allegiance, which seemed REALLY weird and cultish. I guess if you don't know (since I didn't), every day schoolchildren recite a pledge that goes: "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." I still think the pledge is pretty weird, but I got used to the flags. Most Americans I talked to about it just tune them out, and it seems to be more of a style thing?

I found it really weird that most minimum wage and working-class jobs were dominated by black people, especially in NC. At the offices I worked it would just be a sea of white people, and then when you go to the store or Five Guys or whatever almost the entire staff would be black. Racial tensions and politics seem higher in the US in general, and it wasn't really a thing I noticed until moving there.

Sweet tea in NC is incredible. It's not like the powdered Nestea or Brisk or whatever, it's actual brewed tea that's then loaded down with sugar. It has a unique taste and gets you wired as balls. I would treat myself with it occasionally but not often because...

Everyone is fat, especially in NC. It was very rare for me to meet someone that wasn't at least a little chunky outside the gym. At the gym were the usual gym rats that were ripped but I guess they must have lived there because basically everyone else is packing. It's also easy to understand why, because the portions are gigantic. If you eat out at a restaurant or fast food they would give you 3x the normal portion sizes. We went to a famous BBQ place in Raleigh, got 1 meal and split it between us, and were still completely stuffed and had to get a to-go box for half of it. Then they brought out a "slice" of carrot cake that was basically an entire cake. The cake was given to us for free, because the hush puppies (deep fried cornmeal) that you ALSO get served complimentary with every meal were 5 minutes late. Another time I was taken to Five Guys, and besides the massive, dripping (and delicious) burgers we got a "medium" fries and it filled the bag, and came with complimentary peanuts. Basically the point I'm making is that if you don't prepare your own food everyone will try to feed you to death. I would eat out once a week and have enough leftovers for an additional 1-2 meals, but most locals would clean their plate.

I was always very scared of guns and had a fear that someone would just randomly pull one on me, but I never really physically saw any aside from cops. I did see plenty of signs like "please don't bring your guns into this movie theatre" or "this is a drug-free school" (as opposed to a drug-filled one?) which were pretty unnerving. That one has stayed, and most Americans didn't really understand my fear, but it's just a weird feeling coming from a place where they're not allowed to where they are and always made me feel vaguely unsafe.

Bills are higher, but so are wages. It was difficult to get my head around finances at first because there is no single-payer or pension plan, you do that stuff yourself, but it's also pre-tax. You have your own 401k, your own HSA, etc. So while the salary is $20k more in the states, my monthly savings are the same or less because so much goes towards maxing the 401k, putting enough in the HSA to match the deductible, etc. My employer's a 100/0 medical plan, but with a $2000 deductible, bascially pay out of pocket for everything except major surgery. That's also considered a pretty decent plan, many have worse. Having to actually pay at the doctor was a weird thing to get used to (I got a few "hey wait you have to pay" while walking out), but the doctors were also much friendlier and professional, and it's super-easy to get appointments for even special things (but that's also unsurprising, given how much I'm paying them). Also in NC everyone has central air and it adds a lot to the bill, because all the houses are cheap and poorly insulated. I got mad at a lot of apartment places for having thin walls and bad insulation before learning that's just really common in NC.

Anyway, this has gotten long and I'll stop there. Hope that's enough of a foreign perspective! Also hope I didn't make all the Americans mad, it was just a list of some of the things I found odd.

Jenalia fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenalia
May 16, 2005
what

Tiggum posted:

This was a great post and if you've got more examples I'd love to hear them. Also, what country are you from?

Thanks! A good question! I'm "from" Japan since I was born there but we left when I was still young, mixed parents, so I don't know if I'd say I totally identify with Japanese sensibilities. I've lived in Canada, France, and (briefly) Sweden. The country and culture I'd say I identify the most with is probably Canada since I did the most of my growing up there and kept going back.

In Washington it rained, a lot. Just really thick, oppressive and unending rain. I actually got SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) because of it and had to get a lightbox. Between the rain, having to drive 20+ minutes on the highway to do anything at all, and kind of a depressing work environment that was why I left the first time. On the flipside, NC weather is just so beautiful year-round that I take every opportunity to be out in it. Weather-wise it's the nicest place I've ever lived, and the locals are so unused to anything but perfect weather all the time. There was a "blizzard" about a month ago that resulted in a couple inches of snow and ice on the road and everyone freaked out. Everything shut down, groceries were emptied, and everyone drove slowly. It was the only time I actually enjoyed driving here because everyone was driving defensively at reasonable speeds (while I was used to Canada snow driving). About two months before that there was a "storm" that made it pretty windy/rainy (though nothing like Seattle) and knocked out power at a Walgreens. Same case again, nobody went out, grocery stores emptied. That's just how nice the weather is in NC all the time, and each of the freak weather events lasted 1-3 days.

The US has a couple of walkable cities, but for the most part people are inside. That's weird phrasing and hard to understand, but people-watching in other countries was usually done on the sidewalks as the crowds mingled, whereas in the US you do most of your people-watching in the stores and restaurants. The stores are much bigger to accommodate this, but even in rural France and Canada you'd see more people just out and about. In Washington and NC you'd have to go to the parks or designated paths to see people out, and they were usually with their kids or dog, so there was a sense of obligation. There are even a lot more dog parks, specifically for taking your dog to. It just feels like it's a lot more zoned, and you have designated activity areas, if that makes sense?

Milk and cheese are very popular in the US. Very very popular. If you're like me and lactose intolerant it can be really hard to find stuff that DOESN'T have lactose in it. Even things like bread will have this little text somewhere on the packaging that says "may contain traces of milk" or "processed in a facility that manufactures milk products" which is legalese for THIS WILL gently caress YOU UP. I've experienced this before (you learn to be careful) but in the US moreso than anywhere else it's been more of a guarantee. I'd had products containing the warning before and been fine, but in the US if it even mentions milk or whey anywhere on it then it's like eating a brick of cream cheese. For the first few months I was perpetually eating lactaid and feeling awful until I had systematically gone through and eliminated every single food product that was made within 100 feet of milk. If I'm eating out I just accept that it'll be impossible to avoid, Americans put cheese on absolutely everything. There are dishes where I question why they even include the other ingredients, because they're just vessels for getting hot cheese into your mouth.

That labeling thing also reminded me of this: you can't trust the labels in the US. There are a few icons on packaging that are regulated, but for the most part they can (and will) say anything and straight-up lie to you about what the product contains. I had to spend time researching what those regulated icons are and just learn to distrust everything and do extensive research on anything I buy. This can include food at the store, like how most olive oil and honey are anything but, or more manipulative marketing schemes. I've received notices in the mail that masquerade as overdue bills or SCARY SOUNDING NOTICE that turn out to be an ad for some scummy insurance. Ads get shoved in the mailbox, onto/under your door, on your car. In the US it always feels like someone is trying to sell you something, and chances are good that they're being unethical about it. Apartments would have really draconian leases and charge huge fees to cancel or modify them, and then the office manager would really try to encourage you to cancel or modify your lease since they get a cut of the fee. Basically it feels like the law is on the side of the businesses, and you're the hapless and uninformed consumer caught in between. In Canada and especially France it felt like the opposite, that you had a lot more power/options as a consumer.

It's also a lot easier to buy stuff in the US than anywhere else in the world. If I have the money to pay, I can have just about any product on my door later today or tomorrow. There are shops everywhere, so I can also just go out and buy what I want. I used to call around to see if a store would have what I want, but in the US there's every possible store I could need within 30 minutes of me. Shopping online is a lot easier too, because everything is in stock and probably comes with free shipping. It means shopping is a bit less of an "adventure" but it's also a lot more convenient. It also means you never have to leave your home ever!

Americans are friendly, but it's a bit more of a mixed bag. Related to the above, sometimes they're being really friendly cause they want to sell you something. In the stores they'll greet you and chat with you and such but you can also sometimes tell they'd rather not be. Talking to someone in a relaxed social setting they tend to be friendly. In Seattle people were a little more rude/uncaring, but in NC people seem genuinely friendly and nice. In NC I've seen grocery baggers run out after someone to their car with a bag they forgot, and in Seattle I saw those "take a penny leave a penny" trays be constantly empty. It depends a lot on where you are, I guess is what I'm saying. For a point of comparison, I found people in Vancouver to be the rudest so I'm not trying to say people in Seattle were nasty or anything. When you've lived in Europe and the West, you get an "authenticity" sense, where there's a difference between polite friendliness and genuine warmth. NC has contained some of the most genuinely nice and friendly people I've met. You do have to be careful though, as people tend to guard their motives and true feelings more. Canadians have very vulgar mouths (if you ride the train in Canada and eavesdrop get ready for the F bombing of a lifetime) whereas Americans tend to be a bit more... proper. I really feel like I need to watch my potty mouth here.

Oh also they don't know much about places outside America, as is the usual stereotype. If I say I used to live in Canada they assume that means I lived in the arctic. I had an American genuinely ask if we celebrated Christmas "up there." It gets worse if you talk about Europe. They were polite and interested though. It's much more important to assimilate into American culture, so you don't get exposed to other cultures as much. I knew a Chinese guy that had moved and changed his name to Mike and worked very very hard on his English in order to fit in.

Gosh golly (loving fuckballs) I can write a lot about America apparently. Right now I'm still in NC and trying to decide whether or not to stay. It's been tough to choose, because NC is honestly the nicest US state I've ever been to out of the 15 or so I've visited. The weather is nice, the locals are nice, the jobs are good, the prices are reasonable. I just get really homesick, too. Returning to Canada means probably never having a house (or a really long commute), but I also feel more comfortable there. A lot of my fears are irrational like being stuck with a huge medical bill, or getting shot, but the major tipping point for me is going to end up being the driving. It's the only place I've been or lived where the car culture is so pervasive, and I find driving really stressful.

Jenalia fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 14, 2017

Jenalia
May 16, 2005
what

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Why are Europeans so afraid of guns?

It's 99% likely that I will never need a gun to protect myself, but I have one anyway just for emergency protection. It's just another preparedness tool like flashlights, radio, bottled water, batteries. I hope I will never need them in a real life or death situation, but nothing wrong with being prepared.

Believe me, you're like the 100th American to say that to me. I did say it was irrational, but I also tried to describe it in my first post: there is something unsettling about coming from a place where they're not allowed to a place where they are. They are long-range murder devices. If someone pulls a knife on me, while I still may be hosed, I feel like I have a better chance of getting away. With a gun, I need to serpentine and hope they're a bad shot. If I see someone with a knife it's a little scary but maybe they're a butcher or whittle sticks? If someone is carrying a gun they at least have some intent to kill. Also statistically my chances of being involved in gun related violence have gone up significantly by moving here, so it's definitely a thing you notice. Like you said though, it's still pretty unlikely. Fears don't operate 100% on cold hard logic.

Jenalia
May 16, 2005
what

LogisticEarth posted:

Obviously it is the (partially deserved) stereotype that Americans are ignorant of geography and countries beyond the border, but on the flip side I've had some hilarious experiences talking to Europeans about American geography and culture as well. Trying to describe where I was from (New Jersey) resulted in a hell of a lot of confusion, with some people having learned anything they know about the region from Billy Joel and Bruce Springsteen songs, or thinking that it was one of the boroughs of NYC. People also thought I was from Canada based on my (real) accent, but thought that I should sound like Fran Drescher or Tony Soprano since I was from NJ. It's a really odd feeling that so many non-US folks "know" a lot about the country, but through the lens of entertainment media. Hence this thread, of course.

For sure, I met Europeans that didn't even know about other countries in the EU. Ignorance transcends all boundaries :downs:

American media definitely plays a big part, you're exposed to it no matter where you are in the world. I remember thinking King of the Hill was some ridiculous parody until Americans told me "no, it's actually like that." Canada has laws specifying that a certain percentage of television must be original Canadian programming, because it's so easy just to air a sitcom from the US instead. TV there was mostly a mix of US and UK programming. France had a lot of original programming, but you're exposed no matter where you go and learn from a comedian's point of view.

Anyway, I never meant it as something that bothered me, just funny. Plus you can have fun with it, I had a coworker convinced that bagged milk means you get your own bag and dunk it in a vat of milk. Let's be honest though, NJ is totally a borough of NYC ;). Hell, so is Cary in NC (Containment Area for Relocated Yankees).

Jenalia
May 16, 2005
what
I've actually had someone say "oh right, asian" to me before when taking off shoes and it's just really bizarre to me. Do you just track dirt around and vacuum more? Do you wear your shoes to bed? In the shower? Do you keep the shoerack next to your bed? I just cannot understand why you'd want to keep your shoes on inside. You can wear slippers instead, which are warm and way more comfy. Do you just never buy slippers? "You can have my shoes when you pry them from my cold dead feet" seems to be a way more universally accepted sentiment in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenalia
May 16, 2005
what

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Have you never been to a house where people don't do this? It just doesn't make that much of a difference, dirt-wise

I have and it sucks because slippers are way more comfy than shoes, especially if you're wearing heels. Preferring shoes to slippers is crazy-talk.

• Locked thread