Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Scudworth posted:

Only Tony Montana could manage to poo poo up a "Tell me about living in the US" thread with angry Australian politics posting, it's kind of magical.

The best part of being an American is watching the rest of the world complain about us while at the same time possessing an irresistible hunger for our culture.

As for language, I agree that The extreme Appalachian dialects can be a little hard to understand even if you're familiar with them. I spent most of my summers as a kid and teenager in the middle of West Virginia and I will still occasionally meet someone, usually an older man, with an accent so thick I could only make out the occasional word or two. In person you can gently understand what they're trying to tell you, but like over the phone sometimes impossible. I remember once years ago I was at work and had to call one of our truck drivers to change some details with delivery. Dude's hillbilly accent was so thick I could literally get no information out of him on the phone. Once he arrived, it was pretty easy to figure out what he was saying, but the phone it was just pure mush mouth nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Shbobdb posted:

For most Americans, you are much more likely to be killed or extorted by a police officer than you are by anyone else.

That is some absurd hyperbole dude unless you have some data to back it up.

But, making wildly exaggerated claims is American as poo poo, so I can't judge you too harshly.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Shbobdb posted:

We'll never know because it is incredibly difficult to collect data on extrajudicial murder by cop. If you have to hide the evidence, that's damning enough. The cops are a criminal gang out to steal your money and kill you.

Lol, ok man.

• Locked thread