Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Grandmother of Five posted:

Yeah, this kind of stuff is interesting & pretty funny imo. As an outsider, it sort of looks like many European US immigrants attempt to hold on to an European heritage, but creates something that is both distinct from, but also part of the American culture and their heritage culture, and becomes something newly unique. It isn't better or worse, but it is sort of funny when an area, like Solvang in California, which is big on Danish heritage apparently, serves what are traditional Danish dishes to them, but are dishes that were never served here in Denmark, but are unique to Solvang.

Solvang is kind of a tourist trap, it's not particularly Danish, you're right. I spent a semester studying abroad in Copenhagen so I'm familiar with Denmark and much of the US, I grew up in the Midwest and now live in California.

Most ethnic groups retained some traditions or bits of language, even if they are unrecognizable to modern Europeans. The big exception are German-Americans, because of the World Wars it became very unpopular to identify as German, speak the language, etc.

American settlement and migration occurred in waves, so each region will have a distinct history and culture depending on when and by whom it was settled. My ancestors were mostly Germans and Scandinavians who immigrated in the 1860s, stopped to help rebuild in Chicago after the great fire, then continued on to become farmers in the Great Plains. Utah started out as a Mormon theocracy and basically remains that to this day. The Southwest and California used to be part of Spain/Mexico. Cajuns in Louisiana, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tiggum posted:

That's interesting, because wearing shoes in houses is also the norm in Australia (or at least in Victoria, I can't speak for the whole country). Like you say of America, there are some people who'll ask you to take your shoes off when you visit, but it's pretty rare. I wonder what a map of the world colour coded by shoes-in-the-house or not would look like?

In my experience this is a huge deal in Asian-American households but really variable otherwise, it might be a cultural thing.

• Locked thread