Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Yeah I did get a little defensive, sorry to take it out on you. I just find it weirdly insulting when someone from NYC or even that guy from Boston have these really strong opinions about "people from the South" without having been there and giving it a chance. I had a buddy who lived in NJ and commuted everyday into the city. He was a wreck both mentally and physically from the stress he would put himself through (he was wound pretty tight) but he always told himself "At least I don't live in a racist shithole in the south." And then his wife got a waaay better job in Texas. God, you would have thought he was going to be pushed out of a helicopter. He moved, and it basically took him a week to decide that not only was Texas "not that bad", but the city he was living in was "actually pretty progressive." As a bonus his wife kept her NY salary, which in Texas means he could stay home with the kids and they didn't *need* his income to stay afloat.

Also, I traveled through Montana as a kid, it really is a beautiful state. Sorry you didn't get to ride Horses to school, being from Kentucky I got that a lot too.
Oh, well, I am from Louisiana, about as deep south as you can get and I grew up with "Black folk with pink gums are okay, but if their gums are purple, they are more like apes" and "to N*ggers have green blood" and "there was nothing wrong with slavery because black people can't take care of themselves".

Two of those three statements came from teachers growing up in small town Louisiana. Some of the vitriol is very deserved. There is totally racism up in Chicago as well, where I went to University, but there is nothing like that in your face cartoonish racism outside the deep south for the US from what I've seen.

Also, growing up there were semi regular lynchings of gay people (maybe one every other year?) But I think that changed.

The food is legit great. I miss po'boys and a good etouffe, but I won't raise my children there.

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

boner confessor posted:

this depends on two factors in my opinion

1) geographic proximity to the slaveholding south

2) economic and population growth that has taken place since the civil war

Oh yeah, I'm sure Atlanta is totally more reasonable than anywhere in Louisiana, I personally favor number 2 (with a slight modification of calling it internal migration more so than just economic and population growth), over 1, however.

But yeah, the stereotypes of the rural deep south still live on in all-too-large swaths of the U.S.

• Locked thread