Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
For me it was the cats.

We used to test steroids on cats. We'd inject them with varying doses and kinds and just kinda evaluated their condition. They were well taken care of for the most part.

A lot of them would get visibly more muscular and it was really funny because they'd often dislocate their knees and hips by accident by jumping too hard over the obstacles. The joints didn't scale well. We got a lot of good data and wrote some good papers so it was for a good cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party

TrustmeImLegit posted:

For me it was the cats.
it was really funny because they'd often dislocate their knees and hips by accident by jumping too hard over the obstacles. The joints didn't scale well.

From the guy crying in another thread about his dead pet cat

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
cognitive dissonance on human subjects, *shudders*

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

TrustmeImLegit posted:

For me it was the cats.

We used to test steroids on cats. We'd inject them with varying doses and kinds and just kinda evaluated their condition. They were well taken care of for the most part.

A lot of them would get visibly more muscular and it was really funny because they'd often dislocate their knees and hips by accident by jumping too hard over the obstacles. The joints didn't scale well. We got a lot of good data and wrote some good papers so it was for a good cause.

swole cats sounds like something that shouldnt be messed with. sometimes science goes too far...

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

poopnanners posted:

From the guy crying in another thread about his dead pet cat

What? My cat died from sepsis. There wasn't any science in that. These cats were for science and they didn't die from too much steroids. Hell they were super amped about it.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Can I converse with females. It's still highly debatable.

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
I had to re-bury human skeletons in a swamp.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
It was just mice for us. But I dunno, like my whole group are part of an entire educational institute that includes animal welfare and so we had mice that were probably nurtured by other students and then killed by other students and then we're the ones who dissected them. We didn't just order our mice, our mice were bred, raised, and delivered, on demand, from another group of students!

I didn't dissect any, but I helped with the scalpel blades, of course.

And I got weirdly in to it, like "yeah, the old blade slips out easily like that, ok the new one just snaps in like that, yep, easy". Seemed kinda weird. I'd prefer a rabbit. At least I sorta know what to do with a rabbit. Mmm...after you deglove the skin, gut, wash, all that poo poo, and I reckon you can poach that flesh in a soy/hoisin/ginger/chilli mix for 90 minutes then fry it out, brown the pieces a bit, and be left with a bunch of really tasty tender strips of deliciousness.

Meh, I'd do it with a mouse. But they're too tiny. Dissecting the drat things to extract the spleen to extract the DNA from it is hard enough.

Still though, a few dozen de-gloved mice, gutted, with a regular stew mix of caramelized onions and various vegetables, a litre of red wine, a handful of various herbs, and let it stew slowly until the bones become soft...yep I can see that.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
what drugs are you on op

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That Robot posted:

what drugs are you on op

Science!

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
part of my study involved giving mice a shitload of meth and then taping them to a shelf wall so they'd dangle upside down. the experiment was a success

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
i sold powder to all the mices

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I cut genes out of cancer cells then stared at them for a good while.

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
I also looked at old glass bottles I found in a hole to figure out if they were Prohibition era or not

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I injected mice with human brain tumor in their legs. When they got too big we had to euthanize them by breaking their necks. We had literally hundreds of mice.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

We researched how willing people were to injure others if an authority figure okay's it. Basically, you sit there with the subject and tell them to press a button that they believe is issuing electric shocks to somebody in another room. (it is not) You increase the intensity of the shocks and tell the subject that they can quit at any time but that it's fine to continue because there's a waiver and blah blah blah. End result: regular people will murder another person if an authority figure tells them it's okay to do.

I am lying but I did read about a study like this.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

We researched how willing people were to injure others if an authority figure okay's it. Basically, you sit there with the subject and tell them to press a button that they believe is issuing electric shocks to somebody in another room. You increase the intensity of the shocks and tell the subject that they can quit at any time but that it's fine to continue because there's a waiver and blah blah blah. End result: regular people will murder another person if an authority figure tells them it's okay to do.

I saw that episode of SVU too.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Looked at FLIR videos of wasps in trapped small boxes as the temperature was gradually increased until they died. Put the data in an excel sheet.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
please dont torture connecticut residents , married but discreet

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

We researched how willing people were to injure others if an authority figure okay's it. Basically, you sit there with the subject and tell them to press a button that they believe is issuing electric shocks to somebody in another room. (it is not) You increase the intensity of the shocks and tell the subject that they can quit at any time but that it's fine to continue because there's a waiver and blah blah blah. End result: regular people will murder another person if an authority figure tells them it's okay to do.

It's the ol' Milgram experiment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

TrustmeImLegit posted:

For me it was the cats.

As an addendum to this we brought in an animal behaviorist to study the cats as many of them had started kicking eachother in the head, one cat got seriously injured. He said the increased leg power made the cats prioritize them as weapons. Luckily most of the cats had hosed up their legs so badly jumping around too much that kicking wasn't feasible anymore. It was funny because most of them couldn't even run properly in the course we set up for them to evaluate their condition. They were like retarded kangaroos.

TrustmeImLegit fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 29, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
cry at my desk and pray for carbon monoxide poisoning so i could die without burdening my loved ones with the knowledge that i had killed myself

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

cry at my desk and pray for carbon monoxide poisoning so i could die without burdening my loved ones with the knowledge that i had killed myself

What were the results.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I did a lot of research on what will and will not fit up my butt.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TrustmeImLegit posted:

What were the results.

leaving academia

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

Pick posted:

leaving academia

methane from other academia's farts

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I spilled sea urchin jizz on my jeans during lab class and the stain never fully came out

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

leaving academia

Sometimes the animals just don't cooperate. One of the cats scratched me really bad. We put face shields and claw cappers on the meaner ones.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

scrubs season six posted:

I did a lot of research on what will and will not fit up my butt.

What were the results

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

One time there was a chipmunk at my gf's parent's house and as the summer went on we would place peanuts closer and closer to the bench we sat on outside. Eventually the chipmunk got close enough to be comfortable with us and ate out of our hands. It was a cool and good experiment.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
I don't think I'd be able to work with cats, kudos OP.

I've given mice fecal-oral transplants, by homogenizing mouse stools then force-feeding them other mouse's poo poo.

Then I infected them with fatal C. difficile colitis.

Results are unpublished as of yet so I don't really want to describe the experimental design. I've got lots of other publications though.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Dissected a cat LOL

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
One of the cats when we dissected it had a biceps femoris that was a third longer and twice as thick as any before previously documented that we could find. The joints were shredded and bone bent. Its still in a bottle of formaldehyde and badass looking.

Steroids work when you give them 5 times the equivalent human dose.

The vet said if you told him that muscle came off an adolescent tiger he'd believe it let alone a house cat.

TrustmeImLegit fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 29, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TrustmeImLegit posted:

What were the results

Most things will. Some things won't.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't have an objection to animal testing in theory, but hearing the details still makes me sad. poor kitties.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
only living things i've done experiments on is cells in culture and they don't have feelings so whatever

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

LordArgh posted:

only living things i've done experiments on is cells in culture and they don't have feelings so whatever

Did you sperm in a cup then drink it

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.
the only research i do is math

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The only research I do is sperming in a cup then drinking it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU