Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
are you saying i can roid up my cat or what

not that i will but theoretically if it was like post apocalypse or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Used a tea spoon to collect a toddler's kneecap.

archeology

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Moridin920 posted:

give that fucker some buffout

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009

Default Settings posted:

Used a tea spoon to collect a toddler's kneecap.

archeology

I found a part of a human skull cap on the side of a lovely service road next to a landfill and citrus processing plant. The hole was next to a dirty baby diaper that had been sitting in the Florida summer heat for hours.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Candlelight Virgil posted:

The only research I do is sperming in a cup then drinking it

What were the results?

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

thomawesome posted:

I also looked at old glass bottles I found in a hole to figure out if they were Prohibition era or not

Well don't leave me hanging

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Thorazine.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

It works. Like imagine your cat now but it can kick you really hard and jump super high. Although like I said though it'll dislocate its joints a lot so you get your revenge for the kicking.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

the only research i do is math

What type of math

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

We researched how willing people were to injure others if an authority figure okay's it. Basically, you sit there with the subject and tell them to press a button that they believe is issuing electric shocks to somebody in another room. (it is not) You increase the intensity of the shocks and tell the subject that they can quit at any time but that it's fine to continue because there's a waiver and blah blah blah. End result: regular people will murder another person if an authority figure tells them it's okay to do.

I am lying but I did read about a study like this.

Yeah, that study was covered in several different classes I took in both highschool and college. I think it's actually illegal to do tests like that these days.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

shadowvine118 posted:

Yeah, that study was covered in several different classes I took in both highschool and college. I think it's actually illegal to do tests like that these days.

They did a tv movie about the experiments and William Shatner played the scientist conducting them.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

shadowvine118 posted:

Milgram's study and the reaction to it was a significant contributor to the formation of IRBs to approve research before it is carried out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institutional_review_board

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

What type of math

well, theoretical physics really.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i have a theoretical degree in physics

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all
I spent a full day making seven different precise 10 mL dilutions of a styrene solution to check the GC/MS results for linearity.

It's not not up there with making buff cats, but I had fun. :shrug:

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all
We also documented the progress of a wasp nest outside the lab window over the summer.

We didn't publish that part.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Soup du Journey posted:

i have a theoretical degree in physics

Mr. Fantastic?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

probably diisopropyltryptamine

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

poverty goat posted:

probably diisopropyltryptamine

What's diisopropyltryptamine?

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
I chilled people's arms with ice water and vibrated their fingertips while they listened to pink noise. I also zapped their arms sometimes.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Math owns.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

Math owns.

Counterpoint: Math sucks.

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you
Helped take delivery of two frozen, disemboweled gorillas. Well, they were frozen to start with but def lots of pink glorp in their bags when they arrived. We had to use a hydraulic winch to lift them and steering a winch down creepy hallways while trying to stop a carcass from swinging is not easy.

Used a stone tool to skin and deflesh a leg that was recently separated from a goat.

poo poo outdoors all over this drat world.

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009

Lacey posted:

Well don't leave me hanging

The defining bottle was a milk jug that placed the collection from just after Prohibition to the early forties. There were a lot more bottles to be excavated but it was a community project and there was no real funding involved.

I wouldn't call the results entirely conclusive but based on the data we had, that was what we could conclude. The rest of the project could be a decent Master's thesis, though.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
We used to take infant piglets, hook them up with catheters/arterial lines, and forcefeed them a ketogenic sludge every couple hours.

Then after a week we vivisected them (it would ruin the results otherwise) to measure carnitine levels. It was kind of the waste because the prof didn't know what she was doing half the time so the results were a waste.

But some science was accomplished though.

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party

TrustmeImLegit posted:

We used to take infant piglets, hook them up with catheters/arterial lines, and forcefeed them a ketogenic sludge every couple hours.

Then after a week we vivisected them (it would ruin the results otherwise) to measure carnitine levels. It was kind of the waste because the prof didn't know what she was doing half the time so the results were a waste.

But some science was accomplished though.

You are bad.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

poopnanners posted:

You are bad.

No the prof was. While I was there we "wasted" three piglets worth of data. And each piglet needed round the clock supervision and care for up to ten days. It sucked as an undergrad.

It was a good experience for me personally though and it informed me that Environmental science and also Nutrition are the basket weaving of the life sciences so I steered clear afterwards.

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
That's really great how torturing animals was such an enriching experience for you. Thanks for sharing.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

poopnanners posted:

That's really great how torturing animals was such an enriching experience for you. Thanks for sharing.

Take this anti intellectual nonsense out of here if you don't have a research story to share. Science is done with these kinds of things.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I was a police ride-along for ten hours a night a few times a week gathering data. The cops were nice enough individuals but also annoying jaded pricks who seemed largely powerless to positively affect the southside neighborhood we were in. It was discouraging.

I learned a lot about where hookers hang out in my metro area and met a lot of folks. It's a good story, but it probably wasn't worth how little sleep I got.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

idiot of the legal system posted:

I learned a lot about where hookers hang out in my metro area

What were the results.

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
OP cannot find his mom. Please respond.

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

Reading the OP, all I could think of was this..

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man
I can't give too many details because I think the project might be ongoing, phase one involved a screening survey and we discovered that alcoholics aren't likely to show up to lab appointments

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

SWOLE CATS

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

My grandpa is a retired doctor and told me about how they would remove the vocal cords of animals during research so that they wouldn't have to listen to them scream.
These days he donates to ASPA even though he's never really been an animal person, and I kind of figured it was out of guilt for stuff like that.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
im a communications major, op

lol

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

That Robot posted:

what drugs are you on op

chinese research chemicals

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017