Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Carver Crisis posted:

So then why wasn't Styles in the Rumble?

Obviously because Shane McMahon doesn't like AJ Styles, which will be why they face at Wrestlemania!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

That's because he is a vanilla midget from the bad show, Carver Crisis.

The failsafe was there for Roman because of Jericho fuckery maybe? AJ hasn't cheated Cena for like six months.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Roman Reigns is named Joe, so technically, we got a Samoan Joe in the Royal Rumble after all...

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Obviously because Shane McMahon doesn't like AJ Styles, which will be why they face at Wrestlemania!

The 'Mac that Runs the Shack?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Cubone posted:

Hypothetical: Last night, with the exact same booking, with the sole exception that instead of it being Roman Reigns who comes out at #30 and eliminates Undertaker, Jericho, and Bray, only to eventually get surprise eliminated by Randy to the panicked relief of the crowd, it's Hornswoggle with an assist by Fit Finlay- is this a surprise?
You have to tell us which one always lies and which one always tells the truth

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Carver Crisis posted:

If they provide any explanation (doubtful) it will probably be something along the lines of "oh, he was cheated out of the title by Braun." I thought it was weird they had that Stephanie/Foley scene with Zayn and Ambrose, but at the beginning she was like "that didn't work" and Foley was all "my bad."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Carver Crisis posted:

Because he already gets his ~automatic rematch~ so no need to Rumble for it.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Kofi Kingston's signature spot was garbage.

They should have revealed the presence of the fatguy golfcarts and had one driving around ringside for Kofi to leap onto and not snap his neck of course.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

shadow puppet of a posted:

Kofi Kingston's signature spot was garbage.

They should have revealed the presence of the fatguy golfcarts and had one driving around ringside for Kofi to leap onto and not snap his neck of course.

See, now that would have been great. Kofi saves himself by landing on the golf cart, only for the driver to start heading back up the ramp. Kofi now has to figure out a way back to the ring without touching the ground.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Sanguinia posted:

#30 absolutely should have been Samoa Joe and making it Roman absolutely sucked all he energy out of the room and turned the crowd on the match.

That being said, anyone saying that his pressence ruined the match or the PPV is foolish. It was one of the best rumbles in recent memory, and one of the best overall PPVs of the last 12 months, period. The ending being botched after the whole thing was red hot sucks, but it is what it is.

Like someone else said... if you are locked into Orton winning, it's a mistake to debut somebody new at #30 that is just going to get effortlessly tossed out after barely wrestling the entire match. You put someone new in early, like AJ last year, so that when they lose it's because they have been wrestling for 45+ minutes. You ideally also have whoever eliminates them set up their first feud.

Speaking of which, was fully expecting Reigns to run in and illegally eliminate Strowman to get payback for his match earlier, but it seems like he didn't give a poo poo and has now moved on to Undertaker

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

#30 absolutely should have been Samoa Joe and making it Roman absolutely sucked all he energy out of the room and turned the crowd on the match.

That being said, anyone saying that his pressence ruined the match or the PPV is foolish. It was one of the best rumbles in recent memory, and one of the best overall PPVs of the last 12 months, period. The ending being botched after the whole thing was red hot sucks, but it is what it is.

Yeah I definitely want to hear 30 people bitching about Randy Orton burying Samoa Joe or Nak instead of people finding a way to complain that Roman Reigns jobbed twice in one night.

Randy Orton is cool and good and while this wasn't the greatest Rumble in history, it was a solidly good-to-great card throughout. Orton and Bray were really over with the crowd, Luke Harper teasing a Sister Abigail got an enormous pop for a guy who isn't allowed to talk.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Detective No. 27 posted:

Roman Reigns is named Joe, so technically, we got a Samoan Joe in the Royal Rumble after all...

I'm glad we had a detective on hand to definitely be the first person to make this joke

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

a new study bible! posted:

I don't think anyone was expecting Lesnar to get squashed.

I really dug that. No way of knowing if it's what actually happened or not but Meltzer I think commented when Goldberg first destroyed Brock that Brock would be all for it because he knows it'll build a popular storyline and lead to a huge payday when the two go at it at Wrestlemania. Getting obliterated by Goldberg AGAIN at the Rumble just seems to further that, they can easily do a storyline where Brock has gone completely off the deep end now that Goldberg has smashed him twice and people are still gonna be excited to see it because they haven't blown the two in a match/physical confrontation any longer than a minute or 2 so far.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

dont even fink about it posted:

Yeah I definitely want to hear 30 people bitching about Randy Orton burying Samoa Joe or Nak instead of people finding a way to complain that Roman Reigns jobbed twice in one night.

Randy Orton is cool and good and while this wasn't the greatest Rumble in history, it was a solidly good-to-great card throughout. Orton and Bray were really over with the crowd, Luke Harper teasing a Sister Abigail got an enormous pop for a guy who isn't allowed to talk.

Jobbed is a weird way of describing losing in 1v2s, but I agree with the rest of it. They keep protecting Reigns, which is annoying but is still better than having him actually win.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

RacistGuidingLight posted:

It shoulda been Drew Carey, or Jonathon Taylor Thomas.

My GF would have popped huge for JTT

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Anytime Nia jax come out I say "I'm not like most grills" in hank hill voice

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Brock is cool with getting squashed because it means he has to work less for the same payday. He's gotten into the Nash school of "smarter, not harder".

And holy poo poo you semantics-obsessed weirdos arguing over the word 'surprise', learn the difference between 'mildly unexpected' and 'shocking'. Things in life have nuance; they're not solely defined by betting lines and dictionary definitions.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, I was even honest and checked the "I only wanted the free trial" box instead of the comedy "other" option.
I checked Other but my reasoning was that their video player still sucks. It reminds me of RealPlayer.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

oh god the memories

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

dont even fink about it posted:

You guys make it sound like the only possible scenario was a surprise coming out at 30 and Orton going over. Nobody's arguing that the booking wasn't internally consistent for what they did, they're arguing that they shouldn't have done it that way at all. I mean, yeah, if they wanted to leverage the audience's reflexive dislike of Roman to sneak Randy in, and had an unannounced participant at number 30, that's... what they did, alright.

We didn't even know 30 was going to be a surprise until Undertaker came out at 29. Even if they were dead set on Orton going over (which, why?), if Joe came out at 29, then Undertaker or some other preannounced participant at 30, do you really think there'd just be no way to not have Orton be booed? I feel like that's not giving nearly enough credit to Orton, or to hard-working heels like Rusev and The Miz who we're actually supposed to dislike. And even if it was true, that would say more about how dumb it would be to have him win than how good it would be to build the entire ending of the match around trying to make it seem less dumb.

What's done is done, but if the product deliberately evoked fan's real world disdain for an angle, they're still entitled to that disdain.
There's a difference between King Joffrey and Martin Shkreli. Some of us prefer our wrestling bad guys to only be pretend loathsome.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cubone posted:

There's a difference between King Joffrey and Martin Shkreli. Some of us prefer our wrestling bad guys to only be pretend loathsome.

jesus christ

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cubone posted:

Hahahaha are you making GBS threads me?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
The fiend Roman hiked drug prices killing thousands of Make A Wish kids

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
If a point has to be made with a sledgehammer, you can call me The Game.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cubone posted:

Or I can call you a gigantic moron with no sense of perspective in creating effective analogies, because that works too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
evoking the real world disdain of fans, in wrestling terminology, is known as "working"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cubone posted:

I thought your name was Cubone

not Mark

Cubone
May 26, 2011

If my hyperbole offends, you and everyone you love can slowly burn to death in a radioactive nuclear hellfire.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cubone posted:

If my hyperbole offends, you and everyone you love can slowly burn to death in a radioactive nuclear hellfire.

It's called the sun.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

It's called the sun.
Mark.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cubone posted:

It doesn't offend me, it just makes me think you're an idiot.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It doesn't offend me, it just makes me think you're an idiot.
Okee dokee. I wasn't playing the "I'm too edgy" card, I was playing the "these objections are irrelevant" card.
I reached for a figure I assumed nobody would bother to defend, to avoid an irrelevant tangent. Clearly this backfired and I overshot and landed on taking wrestling too seriously, because now we're talking about that. You're entitled to think these the actions of an idiot, but being too edgy is just something I have to live with.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
you aren't stupid because you exaggerated, you're stupid because you think a wrestling company using the actual feelings of fans to get a certain reaction out of a match finish is bad

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
like seriously, "we want pretend heels, not real ones" is basically "we don't want to be worked"

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Alain Post posted:

you aren't stupid because you exaggerated, you're stupid because you think a wrestling company using the actual feelings of fans to get a certain reaction out of a match finish is bad

My reaction to Reigns showing up was "hahaha boo", I wasn't making this argument on my own behalf
What I'm objecting to is this dismissive notion that any person not wanting the product to incorporate strong feelings from outside of the story is automatically an idiot.

You're equating having an emotional response to the content a story with having an emotional response to the way the story is told, and I don't think that's fair. Threatening to tell the kind of story that the audience dislikes in order to get a reaction is, at the very least, pretty loving weird. When Jeffrey Dean Morgan showed up in The Walking Dead, they didn't show how bad he was by having him threaten to return the series to long uneventful stretches of dicking around in the forest. That'd be hilarious, but if it pissed people off, I think that'd be a valid response.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
The only heels in wwe are reigns, stephanie, and charlotte

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

some guy on the bus posted:

"So you see because 2 + 2 = 5, Roman being in the rumble was a surprise."

M. Night Shyamalan Presents: Royal Rumble

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

schweens posted:

The only heels in wwe are reigns, stephanie, and charlotte

There are certain regions of the country where New Day gets an unusual amount of boos )=

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

r-truth should have been #30

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Cubone posted:

What I'm objecting to is this dismissive notion that any person not wanting the product to incorporate strong feelings from outside of the story is automatically an idiot.

Just FYI I'm blaming you for Sami Zayn not winning the rumble, I believed in you, you were my favorite pokemon, and now I hate you and my dreams have been crushed thanks a lot

Cubone 1996-2017

Dragon Quest Monsters was a better game anyway

Pokemon sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

its me glenda posted:

r-truth should have been #31

• Locked thread