Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I keep and breed livestock guardian dogs. On the 21st, Belle ( 3/4 Pyrenees, 1/4 Anatolian) gave birth to 12 puppies. The sire is Boot, who is 100% Pyrenees.

Here's what they looked like as tiny skeletons!

One was stillborn and we lost one early on but the remaining 10 are 8 days old now and fat and happy. I set up a webcam so that I can monitor them without being on top of them 24/7 and decided to stream it because why not. Feel free to watch my potatoes! (they do basically nothing right now because they are grubs but hey, puppies.)

Here's a link to the twitch:

https://www.twitch.tv/bucam2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
TEN puppies! :kimchi:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Mom's back!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Belle has been great for a first time mom, I couldn't be more impressed with her. Depending on how her pups turn out, she has more than earned a retirement in the house sleepin' on the sofa forever after a couple more litters (which obviously will be spaced widely to not put too much strain on her.) If she wants it that is;she is a working dog and if she would prefer to keep working that's up to her. All her pups are going to working homes and I have the highest hopes for all of them.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I'm going to keep a boy out of this litter. I have my eye on a couple, but we will see how they do with the stock before I make my decision.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

This has been a bad week for me but your livestream is making it better.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Glad to know I can be of service :3:

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

They're beginning to degrubify.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
Watching them feed, you wonder how they possibly could all get their turn. That's a lot of puppy. Also that one that's currently in the middle left puppy pile, might be part cow. Fatty.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
Uh oh! Two puppies just escaped!

http://imgur.com/a/Dm7ZT

Edit: Yeah Human saved the day! One of them got caught in a bag or towel? Or something. He came right into view struggling and then the human came just in time. Whew.

pandaid fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 8, 2017

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Uh oh! Cam offline. :[

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

where boot neck?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

pandaid posted:

Uh oh! Two puppies just escaped!

http://imgur.com/a/Dm7ZT

Edit: Yeah Human saved the day! One of them got caught in a bag or towel? Or something. He came right into view struggling and then the human came just in time. Whew.

YEAH there should not have been a bag on the floor where an escapee could get caught, that was my bad. I picked up any potential hazards in there and put up a barrier to prevent future escapes. They're getting very mobile!

thatbastardken posted:

where boot neck?

Belle has a really long neck, maybe she stole it

I'm hoping that between them their children will be Normal Necked Dogs

CharlesM posted:

Uh oh! Cam offline. :[

Yeeeahhhhh It was my anniversary yesterday and I was out for the night and it got bumped and lost its charge, should be good now though!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Paused?

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed
Will it come back? I NEED MY DAILY PUPPIES.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

During the last broadcast, the pups managed to overturn the water bowl. Maybe they figured out how to dismantle the camera? (And it was probably an adorable group effort.)

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Aww it's offline. I had to turn off my VPN because it said I was banned from Twitch, which I have never used. lol. But then it turned out you were offline anyways. I want to see wriggling puppies! Right now!

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane.
So, since I haven't been around for awhile, when did you make the jump from Pit Bulls to LGD and why? Also, are you sure about the lineage of your ASD mix, because ASD do not come in black and crossing one with a Pyr would not result in black puppies...

SolanaSkyes fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 19, 2017

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

HELO STUBBANA

ive had lgd's since 2006 lmao

pls post ur showlatolions and their glorious stilts

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Farmers care more about practical non-show coat than color. They also tend to be less "THIS MUST BE BREED" and more "ok bitch good stud good puppies fine"

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

i still have shitbulls too :D lets fight stubs cmere

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

I know literally zero farmers that would ever get their farm dogs from show breeders. It's mostly livestock auctions and know a guy who knows a guy if people are still doin it the way they were when I lived at home.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Tasty_Crayon posted:

I know literally zero farmers that would ever get their farm dogs from show breeders. It's mostly livestock auctions and know a guy who knows a guy if people are still doin it the way they were when I lived at home.

IRRESPONSIBLE

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

I know nothing of lgds, but a quick google search led me to this

http://sam.cobankopegi.com/Hokka.html

which led to this (scroll down to see a picture of a turkish anatolian, looks like Belle)

http://cobankopegi.com/black/

so apparently anatolians can come in black and white, and pretty much all color coats are acceptable?

Even wikipedia has this:

Appearance
The Anatolian Shepherd dog is a muscular breed. They have thick necks, broad heads, and sturdy bodies. Their lips are tight to their muzzle and they have triangular drop ears. Males stand 660 to 790 mm (26 to 31 inches) tall, females between 680 and 760 mm (27 to 30 inches). They weigh between 40 and 70 kg (90 and 150 pounds), with females on the smaller side and males on the larger side. The coat may be any colour, although most common are white cream, "sesame," and white with large coloured spots that do not cover more than 30% of the body. Known as piebald, these colours may or may not be accompanied by a black mask and/or ears

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatolian_Shepherd#Appearance

Chido fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 19, 2017

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

I mean I GUESS they could have time to worry about coat color but they are mostly too busy waking up at dawn to make sure their sow doesn't crush ten grand worth of piglets.

Edit: "SHOW DOGS? What kind of liberal obamacare communist bullshit is that? Ok I've got the chain looped around the hooves when I say pull you pull"

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Belle is actually not even a true black, but a really dark brindle. You know who does have black marked dogs in their background? Boot, the sire, who is a ~~~show correct~~~ color lmaooooooooooo

Not a single white puppy in the litter, all badger or black marked whites and one black masked fawn :3:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Tasty_Crayon posted:

I mean I GUESS they could have time to worry about coat color but they are mostly too busy waking up at dawn to make sure their sow doesn't crush ten grand worth of piglets.

Edit: "SHOW DOGS? What kind of liberal obamacare communist bullshit is that? Ok I've got the chain looped around the hooves when I say pull you pull"

but... Anatolians can come in any color, including brindle and black? o.O why do you have this fixation with the coat color? I mean, I know nothing about lgds, but I don't get your comment.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

because she breeds conformation anatolians that lay around with her chickens and she cant fathom anything but KC poo poo bc shes solana

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

From that anatolian site I found, this is very interesting!

For many decades, people avoided importing brindles, and until very recently, have avoided importing any black dogs. While these choices are understandably personal, others may be misinformed and unaware that black exists in the genetics of native working Anatolians in various dominant and recessive forms. These choices have resulted in the breed standard being overruled with personal beliefs or preferences, which are prejudicial to the genepool and historical accuracy.

The other type of black is recessive black. Recessive blacks are on the A locus. There are two main varieties of recessive black in the agouti locus. Tanpoint (marked like a Rottweiller with tan accents) and recessive black, where the dog is an allover black.
Recessive blacks can sneak up on you after generations of 'pure breeding' fawn dogs. That's the nature of recessives; you don't know which dogs carry them until that sub-population begins to increase so there is more chance of recessives pairing up. For example, this can happen in Labrador Retrievers. In Anatolians, some tanpoints have begun to appear.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
HIjacking this thread to announce that my dog Mouse is also due to whelp in early May :toot:

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
The puppies will be a mix of Bedlington, Whippet and Border/Bearded Collie :)

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

notsowelp posted:

HIjacking this thread to announce that my dog Mouse is also due to whelp in early May :toot:

Username and post information do not align, beep boop.

(okay it's whelp not welp but darn it)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

notsowelp posted:

The puppies will be a mix of Bedlington, Whippet and Border/Bearded Collie :)

mONGERELS

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Farmers care more about practical non-show coat than color. They also tend to be less "THIS MUST BE BREED" and more "ok bitch good stud good puppies fine"

You're talking to an owner/breeder/and OMG EXHIBITOR of Anatolian Shepherds. My dogs are out of proven, direct Turkish import working lines and can also hold their own in the show ring. My youngest is from a very well known kennel on the East Coast that was instrumental in introducing the Anatolian Shepherd to the USA. She was born and raised in a goat pasture, and at the moment, when she is not going to a dog show, she is guarding her handler's sheep and poultry. I must be doing something wrong, amirite?

Truthfully, the ASD community has no problem with working only breeders and they are as welcome as anyone else. The reason why someone would go to a "show breeder" for a LGD Anatolian to be exclusively a working dog (and yes, most are sold into working rather than show homes) is because we health test and provide the healthiest, safest dogs, and will always provide assistance to the new owners. However, there is no real difference between "show bred" and "working bred" Anatolians, like there has been with Pyrs, although I do know of one exclusively show ASD breeder that tries to breed for a softer temperament and show disposition. She is not considered reputable though.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

SolanaSkyes posted:

You're talking to an owner/breeder/and OMG EXHIBITOR of Anatolian Shepherds. My dogs are out of proven, direct Turkish import working lines and can also hold their own in the show ring. My youngest is from a very well known kennel on the East Coast that was instrumental in introducing the Anatolian Shepherd to the USA. She was born and raised in a goat pasture, and at the moment, when she is not going to a dog show, she is guarding her handler's sheep and poultry. I must be doing something wrong, amirite?

Truthfully, the ASD community has no problem with working only breeders and they are as welcome as anyone else. The reason why someone would go to a "show breeder" for a LGD Anatolian to be exclusively a working dog (and yes, most are sold into working rather than show homes) is because we health test and provide the healthiest, safest dogs, and will always provide assistance to the new owners. However, there is no real difference between "show bred" and "working bred" Anatolians, like there has been with Pyrs, although I do know of one exclusively show ASD breeder that tries to breed for a softer temperament and show disposition. She is not considered reputable though.

... no offense, but why would you show an anatolian if you have it to guard your livestock? Doesn't taking the dog away from the farm stress the animal, and cancels the purpose of having a lgd if it's not around to protect livestock?

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

SolanaSkyes posted:

You're talking to an owner/breeder/and OMG EXHIBITOR of Anatolian Shepherds.

Oh do forgive me my lady, I didn't recognize you without your mouche.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

SolanaSkyes posted:

You're talking to an owner/breeder/and OMG EXHIBITOR of Anatolian Shepherds. My dogs are out of proven, direct Turkish import working lines and can also hold their own in the show ring.

I don't know if I'd trust a lgd who doesn't get anxiety or gets nervous about being away from its livestock to be a trustworthy guard. Shouldn't they try their hardest to always stay with their livestock?

Solana... do you bring your anatolian inside the house to sleep at night?

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Chido posted:

I know nothing of lgds, but a quick google search led me to this

http://sam.cobankopegi.com/Hokka.html

which led to this (scroll down to see a picture of a turkish anatolian, looks like Belle)

so apparently anatolians can come in black and white, and pretty much all color coats are acceptable?

Even wikipedia has this:

Appearance
The Anatolian Shepherd dog is a muscular breed. They have thick necks, broad heads, and sturdy bodies. Their lips are tight to their muzzle and they have triangular drop ears. Males stand 660 to 790 mm (26 to 31 inches) tall, females between 680 and 760 mm (27 to 30 inches). They weigh between 40 and 70 kg (90 and 150 pounds), with females on the smaller side and males on the larger side. The coat may be any colour, although most common are white cream, "sesame," and white with large coloured spots that do not cover more than 30% of the body. Known as piebald, these colours may or may not be accompanied by a black mask and/or ears

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatolian_Shepherd#Appearance

You managed to find the personal webpage of an idiot who paid an assload of money to import "rare black Anatolians" from a shady dealer in Turkey, ended up with a couple of obvious mutts, and she's been battling to try to get them registered as Anatolians here for years. The ASDCA has refused to register them (and every other black dog that has applied), and that particular person has not bred a litter in several years (Janice last updated her site since 2011). There is another working breeder in the South that claims to have AKC registered blacks, but he also other breeds roaming around amongst them, and very dark brindles. The closest you will come to a "black Anatolian" is a very dark brindle.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

SolanaSkyes posted:

You managed to find the personal webpage of an idiot who paid an assload of money to import "rare black Anatolians" from a shady dealer in Turkey, ended up with a couple of obvious mutts, and she's been battling to try to get them registered as Anatolians here for years. The ASDCA has refused to register them (and every other black dog that has applied), and that particular person has not bred a litter in several years (Janice last updated her site since 2011). There is another working breeder in the South that claims to have AKC registered blacks, but he also other breeds roaming around amongst them, and very dark brindles. The closest you will come to a "black Anatolian" is a very dark brindle.

I don't know if I'd trust the ASDCA's opinion on what the right colors of anatolians are. I mean, they accept genetic defects like bulldogs and pugs with no face and horrible health and genetic problems as breed standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

SolanaSkyes posted:

Do you talk about her over tea with the other breeders, making sure to make her feel as excluded as possible from any and all events.

Honestly, what the gently caress is the point of a LGD when you take it away from the livestock to play barbie. Am I missing something? Who cares what the gently caress your stupid dog looks like if its good at killing nuisance animals? If you take an LGD away from stock, even if it works with a team of other dogs, you've done nothing but stress it and the stock out for no other reason than ribbons.

• Locked thread