Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

I know nothing of lgds, but a quick google search led me to this

http://sam.cobankopegi.com/Hokka.html

which led to this (scroll down to see a picture of a turkish anatolian, looks like Belle)

http://cobankopegi.com/black/

so apparently anatolians can come in black and white, and pretty much all color coats are acceptable?

Even wikipedia has this:

Appearance
The Anatolian Shepherd dog is a muscular breed. They have thick necks, broad heads, and sturdy bodies. Their lips are tight to their muzzle and they have triangular drop ears. Males stand 660 to 790 mm (26 to 31 inches) tall, females between 680 and 760 mm (27 to 30 inches). They weigh between 40 and 70 kg (90 and 150 pounds), with females on the smaller side and males on the larger side. The coat may be any colour, although most common are white cream, "sesame," and white with large coloured spots that do not cover more than 30% of the body. Known as piebald, these colours may or may not be accompanied by a black mask and/or ears

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatolian_Shepherd#Appearance

Chido fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Tasty_Crayon posted:

I mean I GUESS they could have time to worry about coat color but they are mostly too busy waking up at dawn to make sure their sow doesn't crush ten grand worth of piglets.

Edit: "SHOW DOGS? What kind of liberal obamacare communist bullshit is that? Ok I've got the chain looped around the hooves when I say pull you pull"

but... Anatolians can come in any color, including brindle and black? o.O why do you have this fixation with the coat color? I mean, I know nothing about lgds, but I don't get your comment.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

From that anatolian site I found, this is very interesting!

For many decades, people avoided importing brindles, and until very recently, have avoided importing any black dogs. While these choices are understandably personal, others may be misinformed and unaware that black exists in the genetics of native working Anatolians in various dominant and recessive forms. These choices have resulted in the breed standard being overruled with personal beliefs or preferences, which are prejudicial to the genepool and historical accuracy.

The other type of black is recessive black. Recessive blacks are on the A locus. There are two main varieties of recessive black in the agouti locus. Tanpoint (marked like a Rottweiller with tan accents) and recessive black, where the dog is an allover black.
Recessive blacks can sneak up on you after generations of 'pure breeding' fawn dogs. That's the nature of recessives; you don't know which dogs carry them until that sub-population begins to increase so there is more chance of recessives pairing up. For example, this can happen in Labrador Retrievers. In Anatolians, some tanpoints have begun to appear.

http://cobankopegi.com/black/

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

SolanaSkyes posted:

You're talking to an owner/breeder/and OMG EXHIBITOR of Anatolian Shepherds. My dogs are out of proven, direct Turkish import working lines and can also hold their own in the show ring. My youngest is from a very well known kennel on the East Coast that was instrumental in introducing the Anatolian Shepherd to the USA. She was born and raised in a goat pasture, and at the moment, when she is not going to a dog show, she is guarding her handler's sheep and poultry. I must be doing something wrong, amirite?

Truthfully, the ASD community has no problem with working only breeders and they are as welcome as anyone else. The reason why someone would go to a "show breeder" for a LGD Anatolian to be exclusively a working dog (and yes, most are sold into working rather than show homes) is because we health test and provide the healthiest, safest dogs, and will always provide assistance to the new owners. However, there is no real difference between "show bred" and "working bred" Anatolians, like there has been with Pyrs, although I do know of one exclusively show ASD breeder that tries to breed for a softer temperament and show disposition. She is not considered reputable though.

... no offense, but why would you show an anatolian if you have it to guard your livestock? Doesn't taking the dog away from the farm stress the animal, and cancels the purpose of having a lgd if it's not around to protect livestock?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

SolanaSkyes posted:

You're talking to an owner/breeder/and OMG EXHIBITOR of Anatolian Shepherds. My dogs are out of proven, direct Turkish import working lines and can also hold their own in the show ring.

I don't know if I'd trust a lgd who doesn't get anxiety or gets nervous about being away from its livestock to be a trustworthy guard. Shouldn't they try their hardest to always stay with their livestock?

Solana... do you bring your anatolian inside the house to sleep at night?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

SolanaSkyes posted:

You managed to find the personal webpage of an idiot who paid an assload of money to import "rare black Anatolians" from a shady dealer in Turkey, ended up with a couple of obvious mutts, and she's been battling to try to get them registered as Anatolians here for years. The ASDCA has refused to register them (and every other black dog that has applied), and that particular person has not bred a litter in several years (Janice last updated her site since 2011). There is another working breeder in the South that claims to have AKC registered blacks, but he also other breeds roaming around amongst them, and very dark brindles. The closest you will come to a "black Anatolian" is a very dark brindle.

I don't know if I'd trust the ASDCA's opinion on what the right colors of anatolians are. I mean, they accept genetic defects like bulldogs and pugs with no face and horrible health and genetic problems as breed standard.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

wtftastic posted:

Do you talk about her over tea with the other breeders, making sure to make her feel as excluded as possible from any and all events.

Honestly, what the gently caress is the point of a LGD when you take it away from the livestock to play barbie. Am I missing something? Who cares what the gently caress your stupid dog looks like if its good at killing nuisance animals? If you take an LGD away from stock, even if it works with a team of other dogs, you've done nothing but stress it and the stock out for no other reason than ribbons.

A dog is not well bred unless it resembles a footrest. If it doesn't have the official arbitrarily accepted colors then it can't work, because colors is everything.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Dog show person knows more about a dog breed than the people who have kept the breed for its original purpose for generations (and who give no shits about color coat conformation).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

SolanaSkyes posted:

You managed to find the personal webpage of an idiot who paid an assload of money to import "rare black Anatolians" from a shady dealer in Turkey, ended up with a couple of obvious mutts, and she's been battling to try to get them registered as Anatolians here for years. The ASDCA has refused to register them (and every other black dog that has applied), and that particular person has not bred a litter in several years (Janice last updated her site since 2011). There is another working breeder in the South that claims to have AKC registered blacks, but he also other breeds roaming around amongst them, and very dark brindles. The closest you will come to a "black Anatolian" is a very dark brindle.

Example of a working german shepherd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVOmROsXJ3Y

What show people consider the correct form of a german shepherd (the lower they drag their crotches to the floor, the better?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf95aY8E7_E

So sorry if I don't trust your CREDENTIALS as a SHOW LADY Solana, but breeders like you go more for extreme looks than actual viable animals :/. I bet if you went to Anatolia you'd tell the farmers there they have mutt dogs because no true anatolian dog would ever be black (despite that color having been part of the breed for a looooooong time it seems, show people just decided they didn't like black so they exclude it from show standards, just like pugs with any resemblance of a snout are deemed unworthy).

• Locked thread