Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm a sucker for bullpups because of bad sci-fi, anybody know what my options are in the state of Washington?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Any experience with the Steyr M9-A1 or their other variants? I've handled the standard model at a gun store but haven't had a chance to actually try putting rounds through one yet. I really like the ergonomics and grip of it, though I realize that it'd be hell to get any sort of holster/spare parts for one.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I really liked the feel of steyr pistols (and the space lasers look) but they were still kinda new at the time and I bought a cheap revolver instead. Still really like them though. Maybe when you come down to $400 land.

M_Gargantua posted:

Alright, that kinda sold me. I've seen some nice match grade M1A's and the semi-auto is attractive, but if it loses practical effectiveness I'll just pursue a nice 700. Now knowing all the kind of marketing poo poo Remington probably pulls that will be fun to research.

I don't know that I'd trust remington to make anything more than an 870 shotgun and a 700 bolt action.

There are probably better options, but it's kinda hard to gently caress up making either of those guns.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 30, 2017

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That said if you don't want to do traditional research or care about cost, just buy guns as I did at one time, based on things from when I was a kid and watched Commando, Terminator, Predator, Die Hard, Invasion USA, Delta Force, etc Let the IMFDB be your guide.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Real talk, anyone have experience with the Ares SCR? I live in a van city (DC) so this is about the only thing I can get AR like performance out of.

And no, moving to VA is not an option for me.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

redneck nazgul posted:

Any experience with the Steyr M9-A1 or their other variants? I've handled the standard model at a gun store but haven't had a chance to actually try putting rounds through one yet. I really like the ergonomics and grip of it, though I realize that it'd be hell to get any sort of holster/spare parts for one.

Concealed carry is not just the gun, so you are right to be concerned about holsters & spare parts - spare mags are essential too. Do yourself a solid and check out the Shield & Glock 19 before you buy a Steyr. That said, nothing wrong with buying a gun you like and rolling with it as long as it's reliable. If you love it, invest in 500 rounds of ammo and make sure it works, then carry away.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

M_Gargantua posted:

Doubly fun to research then. (Someone just tell me what to buy for like 100-500yrd)

N4B we should do a range day.

where in CT you at? i'm within 30 min of Hartford.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

suboptimal posted:

Real talk, anyone have experience with the Ares SCR? I live in a van city (DC) so this is about the only thing I can get AR like performance out of.

I seem to recall someone in TFR owns it and liked it. I also know it's even legal in NYC.

It's still really modular apparently.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 30, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

within 30 min of Hartford.

(CT is small yo) I've done most of my shooting in Wallingford.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ahhh ok, i know the area somewhat

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I seem to recall someone in TFR owns it and liked it. I also know it's even legal in NYC.

It's still really modular apparently.

that looks beautiful in the same way a well used sawed off lever action does

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

The next Signature weapon in Far Cry

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

suboptimal posted:

Rent a storage locker in VA?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That's pretty slick.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I'm all for bolt guns, if you do go the Remington route make sure it's the modded trigger group and not the one currently under recall.

Coworker sent in his two years ago for trigger replacement, and still doesn't have it back.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Just don't buy Remington poo poo period anymore, their QC has gotten steadily worse since they were bought up by the Cerberus group back in like 2007 or something.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 30, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Jesus loving christ that's terrible turn around. Just give the guy another gun for fucks sake.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So should I be looking around for an old 700, or is there a new bolt action king in .308

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

DoktorLoken posted:

You can shoot a lever action ridiculously fast with skill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsexKLYtCkI

:stwoon:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

what are the good brands

i honestly have no clue when it comes to this stuff

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

DoktorLoken posted:

Rent a storage locker in VA?

I want to have a rifle and a handgun that I can store legally in DC. The handgun part isn't so bad, but if I want anything with AR-like modularity, I'm in a bad way.

A friend I know went the storage locker route, but loving with registration stuff isn't a road I want to go down right now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Gargantua, I've always been partial to Savage but that's because I grew up shooting their sears rebranded shotguns and stuff.

Though they're becoming a bigger name these days, so you might look into them. Also, they're not owned by Cerberus, a huge plus. Couldn't hurt to look, at least.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

what are the good brands

i honestly have no clue when it comes to this stuff

Handguns: Glock, S&W M&P models. Stick with guns popular with police departments, stay away from .40S&W and go with 9mm as modern defensive ammo in 9mm is great and there's a reason why the FBI is switching back from 40 to 9 (more ammo = better than).

AR style rifles: Colt (except their entry level ARs that just came out), FN, Noveske, BCM, Daniel Defense. Look for companies that actually have NSN & military contracts.

Bolt actions: Remington 700 (pick your flavor of 20+ variants), Savage rifles are a great budget option, AI if you are made of megabucks

AK rifles: I used to be an Arsenal fan, but wow are they pricy.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Seconding Savage. I have a Model 10 FP in .308

Spend extra money on good glass though.

Glock's are great, everyone has parts/holsters for them. Honestly a G19 is probably the best pistol out there. I'm not familiar with SW semi-autos, so I'll defer to others. However their pre-lock revolvers are phenomenal.

LMT also makes a decent mid-range AR platform.

Syrian Lannister fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 30, 2017

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Any thoughts on the Bushmaster XM15-E2S? I'm thinking about making the plunge and getting a scary black rifle. :tfrxmas:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BigDave posted:

Any thoughts on the Bushmaster XM15-E2S? I'm thinking about making the plunge and getting a scary black rifle. :tfrxmas:

Don't buy a Bushmaster. For low budget entry, look at Palmetto State Armory...although Sky Shark will have to chime in on which one is the budget and which one is the premium build as I can't remember.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

sky shark posted:

Handguns: Glock, S&W M&P models. Stick with guns popular with police departments, stay away from .40S&W and go with 9mm as modern defensive ammo in 9mm is great and there's a reason why the FBI is switching back from 40 to 9 (more ammo = better than).

AR style rifles: Colt (except their entry level ARs that just came out), FN, Noveske, BCM, Daniel Defense. Look for companies that actually have NSN & military contracts.

Bolt actions: Remington 700 (pick your flavor of 20+ variants), Savage rifles are a great budget option, AI if you are made of megabucks

AK rifles: I used to be an Arsenal fan, but wow are they pricy.

When limited on magazine size (typically 10 rounds) what's your opinion on going with 40 over 9?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LingcodKilla posted:

When limited on magazine size (typically 10 rounds) what's your opinion on going with 40 over 9?

You can also look into other calibers like 45ACP or 10mm.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

M_Gargantua posted:

So should I be looking around for an old 700, or is there a new bolt action king in .308

I hear Ruger's Gunsite Scout is fairly well received.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

what kinda caliber should i be look at so i can actually afford to shoot my penis certified verification

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

MazelTovCocktail posted:

You can also look into other calibers like 45ACP or 10mm.

Yeah I'm a big fan of Sig and waiting for an all steel p227 model to be available.

I should have included 45 with the other two options.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

M_Gargantua posted:

If I were looking at new bolt action .308s for a precision rifle purpose, I'd take a hard look at the Ruger RPR.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

also jfc centerfire or rimfire i just wanna shoot cans not blast off to the moon

only weapons i ever fired were m16 and saw

for reals im hopeless at this stuff

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Rat posted:

If I were looking at new bolt action .308s for a precision rifle purpose, I'd take a hard look at the Ruger RPR.
I love Ruger. They make so much cool stuff, that I can't think of a reason to buy, but I still want, like the wheelgun in 9mm.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

also jfc centerfire or rimfire i just wanna shoot cans not blast off to the moon

Ruger 10/22. I seem to recall them making a new drop in trigger that is supposed to be good. I also like Savages Rimfire offerings.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^
This. 10/22 is literally the best rifle for plinking. Hell, buy yourself a 10/22 takedown with a threaded barrel and if we are all lucky, the Hearing Protection Act will pass and you can buy a nice .22 silencer for it to make can blasting even more fun

LingcodKilla posted:

When limited to 10 rounds, get the biggest bullet you can. .40 is ok in this instance if you need to conceal and want something like a Glock 27, but I'd seriously consider a Glock 30 or 29 instead. Load up on spare magazines, carry at least one as magazine failures are one of the most common reasons for malfunctions and I think everyone here agrees that real life isn't the square range with stationary paper targets?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

What-?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/05/nypd-authorizes-registration-of-ares-scr-rifles-in-nyc/#axzz4XD9XDxWZ

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yep, it's pretty drat amazing they were able to design around it and not make some horrid aboard like the Stag complaint guns are for NY (or were being offered) and still be really goddamn modular.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Ruger 10/22. I seem to recall them making a new drop in trigger that is supposed to be good. I also like Savages Rimfire offerings.

kinda falling in love with the ruger scout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Just stick with the standard stuff, 5.56, 9mm, .22. Usually if you look you can find stuff in bulk that's cheap plinker ammo.

Sorry I haven't gotten around to looking up CT and MA laws, trying to do job search stuff but I'll have something for you guys tomorrow. But man we got a lot more dudes in here that like guns than I realized so hopefully someone finds the answers for you before my slow rear end does.