Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Cool man. I've always wanted to try out this kind of stuff but have no idea where to start. If you got tips, post em. And if anyone is familiar w comp/match shooting near lejeune (lol rip my life) let me know

My experience so far has been mainly IDPA and 3-gun. IDPA is just pistol and thus easier to get into from a budget perspective.

Honestly the biggest thing is to just show up with what you have. All of the matches I've been to are very friendly to new shooters. I try to invite people, but they tell me they aren't good enough yet. Which to me sounds like "well I can't go to the gym until I'm in shape." The whole point is to improve, so just show up, have fun and learn what you can from others and from honesty self reflection of your performance. The only person you should be competing against is yourself, last match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

not caring here posted:

Fox River socks. Always Fox River socks. There may be better out there but I have never had socks that last so goddamn long.

Hearing protection my wife and I use these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T7QJ9O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's better out there but for the price they are pretty aces.

There's no loving way you'd catch me wearing a plate carrier but I'm sure someone else can help.

Eh, I switched to only wearing good quality (REI, Darn Tough, etc.) wool boot/light hiker socks. They're so much better that I threw away or gave to homeless people all of my Fox River socks.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
The blue force gear plateminus carriers are awesome; super light weight and thin. The SOC-C belt is nice too, though I have heard good things about the HSGI warbelts. How much crap do you want to carry though?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Also hearing pro - a lot of the instructors out there are rocking the same Sordins / Peltors you guys have been issued. Peltor has come out with a set of rechargable in-ear active hearing protection units for each ear that are expensive but nice - http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...92682142&rt=rud

I'd worry about one falling out and losing it though, so I use my muffs.

SHOT show has seen various forms of in ear / hybrid hearing protection with various comm capabilities. These guys have a set that you can plug your iPhone into so you can protect your hearing while on the phone with 911 - https://www.silynxcom.com/store/headset-systems/clarus-pro/

No idea how it works with the new Iphones that don't have headphone jacks

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

The Rat posted:

For plate carriers, I have used the Crye JPC and Paraclete SOHPC and like them both. For a war belt I am happy with the Blue Force Gear SOC-C. Will post pics and more details when I get home.

I bought the Paraclete SOHPC on Rat's recommendation and it's been great

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

DoktorLoken posted:

Eh, I switched to only wearing good quality (REI, Darn Tough, etc.) wool boot/light hiker socks. They're so much better that I threw away or gave to homeless people all of my Fox River socks.

Actually, it's funny that you say that my wife got some Darn Toughs and she loves them. I was tempted but I like a thick sock and the place we were at didn't have any in a thick variety so I guess I'm gonna be a Fox River scrub for a while longer.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

sky shark posted:

Also hearing pro - a lot of the instructors out there are rocking the same Sordins / Peltors you guys have been issued. Peltor has come out with a set of rechargable in-ear active hearing protection units for each ear that are expensive but nice - http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...92682142&rt=rud

I'd worry about one falling out and losing it though, so I use my muffs.

Seconding this, Sordins and Peltors own. Just be sure to get the gel earcups. Very comfortable.

Now that I'm home and on my PC I can go a tad more in depth regarding plate carriers.

The Crye JPC is ridiculously lightweight and comfy. Used it on my last contract where I only needed armor for convoys and flights going out to FOBs and VSPs. I don't know that I'd want to put much weight on it in terms of mags, pouches, etc though. It was a great improvement compared to the IOTV that was issued to me in terms of comfort.

The SOHPC/SOC-C belt combo is what I used on my first contract, and what I continue using for 3-gun. (Mainly because I don't want to by a full 3-gun rig.) I like it because it has soft armor in the belt and the plate carrier's cummerbund, so I have more coverage with that. Also having the PC/belt setup means that the weight of my stuff is distributed pretty evenly between my shoulders and my hips, rather than it all being on my shoulders like an IBA/IOTV. I actually prefer the belt soft armor to the belt foam padding that comes with it by default. Sits more solidly on my hips. The other benefit to the belt/PC setup, at least for the purposes of that contract, is that I could keep the belt on at all times and have the radios with me, along with pistol etc. If the team got a call, I just had to throw on the PC and I was ready to go.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Syrian Lannister posted:

In Illinois, so target shooting, something to give to my son in a couple of years .

22lr would probably meet your needs just as well, but yeah, .223 is fine. If you have prior shooting experience, or want to hunt, there are more optimal calibers out there, but they are all more expensive to feed than a .223. Any particular brands that you are looking at?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
What's with all the plate carriers? Are you guys cops, viligantes, or something else?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Zeris posted:

What's with all the plate carriers? Are you guys cops, viligantes, or something else?

they're Immortan Joe Biden's War Boys

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dead Reckoning posted:

22lr would probably meet your needs just as well, but yeah, .223 is fine. If you have prior shooting experience, or want to hunt, there are more optimal calibers out there, but they are all more expensive to feed than a .223. Any particular brands that you are looking at?

That's what I was thinking. 22LR is much cheaper for ammo and probably the rifle itself.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With all this talk about Blue Force Gear...I think it's time to post Blue Force Gear Velociraptor.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I miss Dino Riders

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Plate carriers have become popular because people have realized that rifles are much better than shotguns, which are much better than pistols. If you are carrying a rifle, you should have some spare mags, and if you are carrying spare mags, you might as well have rifle plates underneath. A plate carrier setup lets you have 120-180 rounds, a med kit / tourniquet and unlike soft armor it doesn't wrinkle or degrade if it is in your closet or trunk. For a while there were scads of SAPI / ESAPI plates available via Craigslist / eBay, and if you are frugal you can get new manufacture , quality, name brand, (not AR500 steel bullshit) LVL IV standalone plates for $200 a pair... that can handle multiple hits of 7.62x54, .30-06, and more, let alone 9mm & 5.56

Throwing on the plate carrier isn't likely to happen in a home invasion situation, but it's one of those handy things to have during civil unrest, and since we've been at war for 15 years, there's a generation of vets who have the "better to have it and not need it" mindset.

Let's not pretend that the vast majority of the civilian owners haven't bought them for anything other than "I want to pretend I'm an operator when I look in the mirror" tho. Also for some reason the cult of crossfit has decided that exercising in a plate carrier is a good thing

sky shark fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 31, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

But how much will they slow me down when I'm out 'softin?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm looking to try some local carbine/pistol matches so I put together a duty belt to hold a few AR and handgun mags. The belt just came in the mail today:

The BFG AR mag pouches were on sale for half off, but they're MOLLE and not belt models so they seem to sit low and flop around a bit, so I suppose I should pick up a MOLLE to duty belt adapter of sorts to fix that. Pistol is an M&P9c with 17 round magazines w/ X-Grip adapters to make it have a full size grip. I had the Safariland ALS belt holster laying around and it seems to be well suited for this.

Seems to be pretty comfortable, although I've never owned or used tactical anything other than an issued IOTV or IBA w/ FLC. The weird mag pouch arrangement is due to my being cross dominant; I shoot long guns right handed and handguns left handed.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 31, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I will ride glorious on the corvette road!

Also I want to buy a plate carrier now, that one looks sexy.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

http://www.skdtac.com/Paraclete-SOHPC-SKD-Spec-p/par.106.htm

This version doesn't come with soft armor in the cummerbund, hence the lower price than the original. But you can still buy soft armor panels and put them in there if you want. (Of course you still need plates too.)

ReebTop
May 17, 2003
Loving the suggestions, thanks. I had mostly been looking at SKD Tactical's stuff; my unit still issues us IBAs and I absolutely loving hate them, and while I may never get any solid use out of a plate carrier, if I really need it I want to have it.

I'm a medic with a light infantry company in a cav squadron, so I want stuff to be light and modular. Looking for a way to carry combat load of 5.56 and 9mm, a decent dump pouch for whatever, and some means to have quick access to big ticket life saving poo poo on my chest or belt (i.e. tourniquets, occlusives, so on.) I usually have two TQs, some occlusives, a 14 ga NCD needle, ETB, gauze, tape, and gloves in various mag and grenade pouches on my right chest, with six M4 mags on the left. I carry IV and airway supplies and less crucial stuff in my assault pack (and the issued one is okay but not the greatest), along with food and socks and such. I feel like a good canted holster for the belt would be good...and maybe something to hold a multitool and admin stuff somewhere. And a Camelbak that I can't rip the God drat spigot off of would be nice for once.

There's just too many options and it's all HSLD mumbo jumbo to me. That said, gonna look at the stuff you guys recommended and see what I can figure out.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

There are / were number of companies that make IBA conversion kits that change them from front opening to side entry, add an internal cummerbund and generally improve the dumpster fire that is IBA. The question is, will your chain of command allow you to use a conversion kit or personally owned carrier.

Also you don't want a canted holster. Holsters should, when possible be worn at your strong hand centerline. Canted holsters are for concealed carry under coats. A straight draw holster on the side of your body is going to be the fastest draw for you wearing armor - and it should be as high on the belt as possible and still clear your setup & allow for a proper & clean drawstroke.

https://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/video/holster-angle-placement-004480/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFz6in_EkT4

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
What's the opinion on Shellback or Ares 500 hard armor?

(First responder asking)

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I live in Florida and have only ever occasionally fired a 12 gauge. What's a good starter gun for a total newbie? Not sure if I want a shotgun or a decent handgun.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
What do you want to do with it?

Plinking, home defense, range, hunt, etc?

A .22 rifle is always a good place to start. Cheaper ammo, not loud enough to really need hearing protection (use it though), low cost of entry, light, get a ruger 10/22 and you can do almost anything you want to it. Always in enough demand that when you get sick of it, you can sell it easily.

If you're looking at it like a hobby, you'll have a .22 eventually.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 31, 2017

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Unless you are hunting or otherwise involved in shotgun shooting sports, there's no reason to own a shotgun anymore. Rifles are better in every way.

I'd really suggest getting a 10/22 and a couple 500 round packs of ammo and practicing the fundamentals.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Plates are heavy. Got them pretty cheap at work a few years back. Ended up not using them. Still, keep them around. I use a Tactical Tailor plate carrier. I live near their main factory/warehouse and they do great warranty work.

Need to find a new place to go plinking.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

sky shark posted:

Plate carriers have become popular because people have realized that rifles are much better than shotguns, which are much better than pistols. If you are carrying a rifle, you should have some spare mags, and if you are carrying spare mags, you might as well have rifle plates underneath. A plate carrier setup lets you have 120-180 rounds, a med kit / tourniquet and unlike soft armor it doesn't wrinkle or degrade if it is in your closet or trunk. For a while there were scads of SAPI / ESAPI plates available via Craigslist / eBay, and if you are frugal you can get new manufacture , quality, name brand, (not AR500 steel bullshit) LVL IV standalone plates for $200 a pair... that can handle multiple hits of 7.62x54, .30-06, and more, let alone 9mm & 5.56

Throwing on the plate carrier isn't likely to happen in a home invasion situation, but it's one of those handy things to have during civil unrest, and since we've been at war for 15 years, there's a generation of vets who have the "better to have it and not need it" mindset.

Let's not pretend that the vast majority of the civilian owners haven't bought them for anything other than "I want to pretend I'm an operator when I look in the mirror" tho. Also for some reason the cult of crossfit has decided that exercising in a plate carrier is a good thing
Holy poo poo are plates really that cheap? I don't know why but I always assumed it was like a grand for a set of plates

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

:yeah:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
This is a much easier way to make your peener size larger on the ol internet

:nws: http://kotaku.com/new-conan-game-sure-has-dicks-in-it-1791800860

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Just pulled the trigger (heh) and bought my first big boy rifle off gunbroker. A PTR-91 GIR.

Guess I should probably find an FFL sometime today??

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Plates are heavy. Got them pretty cheap at work a few years back. Ended up not using them. Still, keep them around. I use a Tactical Tailor plate carrier. I live near their main factory/warehouse and they do great warranty work.

Need to find a new place to go plinking.

how do you like your SOCOM 16?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
On the other end of the spectrum, I'm in the process of restoring a P-1837 Brunswick Rifle.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803184

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

how do you like your SOCOM 16?

I enjoy shooting it. It's a handy size compared to my first rifle a M1.
On the other hand I bought it as a CA resident and compared to some flavor of AR I wouldn't recommend it. AR are simply better all across the board in states where you can buy them without compromise. Except maybe if you really really don't like pistol grips on your rifle.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

my kinda ape posted:

Just pulled the trigger (heh) and bought my first big boy rifle off gunbroker. A PTR-91 GIR.

Greetings fellow PTR haver. May your cheap surplus ammo be plentiful

The Rat posted:

My experience so far has been mainly IDPA and 3-gun. IDPA is just pistol and thus easier to get into from a budget perspective.

Honestly the biggest thing is to just show up with what you have. All of the matches I've been to are very friendly to new shooters. I try to invite people, but they tell me they aren't good enough yet. Which to me sounds like "well I can't go to the gym until I'm in shape." The whole point is to improve, so just show up, have fun and learn what you can from others and from honesty self reflection of your performance. The only person you should be competing against is yourself, last match.

Yea, that's the big reason I haven't tried yet. But I'm going to. I'll probably go to a couple and watch first, ask around for advice, before buying up gear and entering. Also I don't have a shotgun yet so I'll look into the pistol only stuff.

FastestGunAlive fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 31, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

sky shark posted:

Unless you are hunting or otherwise involved in shotgun shooting sports, there's no reason to own a shotgun anymore. Rifles are better in every way.

Home defense.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

Home defense.

A bullet from an AR is less likely to overpenetrate walls than buckshot, believe it or not.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I actually have a hard time believing that.

my kinda ape posted:

A good idea.

My first rifle was from gunbroker...a 1944 US-issue Garand with what appears to be the original furniture. :3:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

I actually have a hard time believing that.

The scientific answer is that the faster something's going, the quicker it sheds energy when it hits something else.

The non-scientific answer is that these guys built fake walls with drywall and 2x4s and started shooting them with poo poo to see how many walls they go through.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-14-rifles-shotguns-and-walls/

Now, the 5.56 round admittedly did go all the way through, but it was clearly tumbling and just not having a very good time of it and by the time it came out the far end, it wasn't going fast enough to just punch cleanly through on its way out.

The 12 gauge buckshot, on the other hand, didn't give a poo poo.

Other tests they've done also show that 5.56 starts tumbling after coming out of the first wall and, for the test I linked, they made the wall segments bigger because previously 5.56 was tumbling so badly it deviated from its original trajectory and just zipped off some random direction, missing the other two walls entirely.

They found the same thing on Mythbusters, shooting into water. Slower bullets (pistols and such) went further underwater than rifles and even .50 BMG.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's definitely interesting. Gonna have to watch a bunch more youtube videos of dudes shooting stuff with guns I don't have.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Godholio posted:

Home defense.

Shotguns are terrible for home defense. Shotguns are heavy, have punishing recoil, and every pellet you send downrange is a potential lawsuit. "You can't miss with a shotgun!" is bullshit - Shotgun spread depends on the type of barrel you have, but typically is somewhere between .5" to 1" per yard of travel. Look at the furthest point you could conceivably shoot from / to inside your house and credibly say your life was in danger. Typically that's going to be an interior hallway, maybe some 20 feet away. Your shotgun pellet spread will be roughly 3.5-7", which is plenty of opportunities for 00 or 000 pellets to miss. Making it worse, your average Remington 870 / Mossberg 590 comes with a lovely little brass bead front sight, and no rear sight. You can spend more for a HD shotgun that has ghost rings or a 1913 rail for optics, but at that point you definitely should have bought a rifle.

Operating a shotgun is something that takes a lot of training and practice to do effectively. I don't know what your level of skill is; you could have been breaching all day, or running around with a M1014 in Iraq or something, but for most people, they are not willing to invest in the time & practice to become proficient. The pump action is incredibly easy to get stress induced malfunctions, with the most common being "short stroking" - leaving your shotgun inop.

Finally the Walmart special is going to be probably 3+1 or maybe 6+1 if you get an extended mag. Many home invasions have 3+ intruders, typically armed themselves, who will be firing back at you. A "click" when you want "bang" is not a good thing. Reloading a shotgun under stress is not easy either.

The shotgun has been romanticized in movies & TVs with the iconic "clack-clack" to let the viewer know that poo poo's about to get real. That's Hollywood. The reality is that they are long, heavy, cumbersome and not great for people who aren't experienced with them. If you are willing to get trained up, be my guest. Make sure that your wife / significant other can run it as well, and ask her what she prefers afterward - the AR or the shotty.

Shotguns have their purposes. I'm considering buying one of these for a "truck gun" because there's times where a 14" barrel comes in real handy - https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590-shockwave/

My first choice for people in my house will always be a rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

I enjoy shooting it. It's a handy size compared to my first rifle a M1.
On the other hand I bought it as a CA resident and compared to some flavor of AR I wouldn't recommend it. AR are simply better all across the board in states where you can buy them without compromise. Except maybe if you really really don't like pistol grips on your rifle.

Ive got an AR but I've always wanted something M14ish.

And I've got 1400 rounds of 7.62 doing nothing.