Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

sky shark posted:

Shotguns are terrible for home defense. Shotguns are heavy, have punishing recoil, and every pellet you send downrange is a potential lawsuit. "You can't miss with a shotgun!" is bullshit - Shotgun spread depends on the type of barrel you have, but typically is somewhere between .5" to 1" per yard of travel. Look at the furthest point you could conceivably shoot from / to inside your house and credibly say your life was in danger. Typically that's going to be an interior hallway, maybe some 20 feet away. Your shotgun pellet spread will be roughly 3.5-7", which is plenty of opportunities for 00 or 000 pellets to miss. Making it worse, your average Remington 870 / Mossberg 590 comes with a lovely little brass bead front sight, and no rear sight. You can spend more for a HD shotgun that has ghost rings or a 1913 rail for optics, but at that point you definitely should have bought a rifle.

Operating a shotgun is something that takes a lot of training and practice to do effectively. I don't know what your level of skill is; you could have been breaching all day, or running around with a M1014 in Iraq or something, but for most people, they are not willing to invest in the time & practice to become proficient. The pump action is incredibly easy to get stress induced malfunctions, with the most common being "short stroking" - leaving your shotgun inop.

Finally the Walmart special is going to be probably 3+1 or maybe 6+1 if you get an extended mag. Many home invasions have 3+ intruders, typically armed themselves, who will be firing back at you. A "click" when you want "bang" is not a good thing. Reloading a shotgun under stress is not easy either.

The shotgun has been romanticized in movies & TVs with the iconic "clack-clack" to let the viewer know that poo poo's about to get real. That's Hollywood. The reality is that they are long, heavy, cumbersome and not great for people who aren't experienced with them. If you are willing to get trained up, be my guest. Make sure that your wife / significant other can run it as well, and ask her what she prefers afterward - the AR or the shotty.

Shotguns have their purposes. I'm considering buying one of these for a "truck gun" because there's times where a 14" barrel comes in real handy - https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590-shockwave/

My first choice for people in my house will always be a rifle.

I got my 590a1 all sharp and pokey and ready to rock. I did go through a fair amount of training and enjoy it but yeah it's a heavy beast but I like the idea of having a combination gun, spear and club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

LingcodKilla posted:

I got my 590a1 all sharp and pokey and ready to rock. I did go through a fair amount of training and enjoy it but yeah it's a heavy beast but I like the idea of having a combination gun, spear and club.

That's why I have my M1861 Sprinfield set up for home defense.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

LingcodKilla posted:

Do you have a choke in yours? Cause my 590A1 patterns pretty wide with the factory cylinder bore. Need to send it off to get threaded.

But yes gun spear club what up

:v:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Hey sky shark/The Rat, gimme some recommendations for AR-15 manufacturers/what to look for/what to avoid.

Or your other rifle of choice, I'm not picky.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

What's your purpose and budget?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

The Rat posted:

What's your purpose and budget?

Home defense in lieu of a shotgun (per above)/popping off rounds for proficiency and fun/getting the wife interested in shooting/defending my puckins

I'm not sure of the budget yet, that's probably going to be more of a "what am I paying for" thing. Looking more for reliability than super cool tactical stuff.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I'll sperg out when I get home. Too much to type out on my phone.

Long story short, basic home defense would be roughly $900ish (irons, light mount, good light, MOE furniture). From there, the sky is the limit.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
ARs are overrated and way too common.

What you want is a falling block action breechloader.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

sky shark posted:

Handguns: Glock, S&W M&P models. Stick with guns popular with police departments, stay away from .40S&W and go with 9mm as modern defensive ammo in 9mm is great and there's a reason why the FBI is switching back from 40 to 9 (more ammo = better than).

AR style rifles: Colt (except their entry level ARs that just came out), FN, Noveske, BCM, Daniel Defense. Look for companies that actually have NSN & military contracts.

Bolt actions: Remington 700 (pick your flavor of 20+ variants), Savage rifles are a great budget option, AI if you are made of megabucks

AK rifles: I used to be an Arsenal fan, but wow are they pricy.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Speaking of ARs, can someone comment on recent Colt AR-15s? I'm told that at the very least they used to be a solid unit, but one of the last things I did when I was still in was get a poo poo detail of unboxing a bunch of M4s from Colt and giving them a quick look over. I was not very impressed at all with the fit and finish of them. Lowers and uppers just rattley as gently caress, actions rough, triggers suck, just generally seemed like poor quality. Is this the same with the Colt AR-15s available commercially or does Colt just dump junk on the army because they can?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Colt recently came out with an Expanse model AR that you should stay away from. The government model M4s have to meet military spec from the factory and get much more testing & meet tougher requirements than the average Bushmaster, Remington, DPMS or whatever.

Military issue service rifles will not have great triggers straight from the factory. The specs call for a certain trigger pull weight, not a smoothness of action. I can't comment on the rattle though, or upper to lower fitment; from the factory that should be pretty tight. Unless the rattle is from the M4 stock and sling swivels?

I forgot to add, for a home defense rifle don't go out and buy surplus SS109 ammo. There's much better stuff on the market. Reading material: https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/#mozTocId803443

For further information, Primary & Secondary is also a great source for knowledge. They have a FB group and their own webforums.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
No, the lower and upper fitment was loose as poo poo. And we went through quite a few of those big crates of them.

I also think this was a year or 2 after FN had picked up the M4 contract, yet we still had piles of these Colts coming in because... well, I assume someone was getting paid. So I also assume nobody was checking them.

Then again, knowing manufacturing, you can really put some slop into anything if you really work the tolerances and don't give a gently caress, and still have a thing pass QC.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Ok, now that I'm home, cheapass but still functional general purpose/home defense AR.

Complete lower, $150: http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar15-complete-moe-plus-lower-black.html
Upper, $370: http://palmettostatearmory.com/mid-length-pencil-premium-madness-16-cmv-chrome-lined-stripped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html (PSA premium/CFH uppers are decent. I wouldn't buy their PTAC/Freedom lines, though others have and they haven't blown up on them yet.)
Bolt carrier group, $90: http://palmettostatearmory.com/palmetto-state-armory-5-56-premium-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group-8779.html
Charging handle, $25: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-m16-charging-handle-438.html

That puts you at $635, not counting shipping.

From there, add your choice of iron sights, a sling, and a light. These are all largely based on user preference, and will cost you an extra $100-250 depending on what options you go with. (I like Magpul backup sights, Blue Force Gear VCAS or Magpul MS1 slings and Surefire Ultra Scouts for this purpose.)

You'll need mags too, but if you're in GiP you probably have some aluminum 30s left over, right?

Beyond those basic essentials, it's all a matter of how you want to spend your money. Optics? Free float forend? Nice match grade trigger? Better barrel? The list goes on. :suicide:

What sky shark said regarding the good brands is accurate. I've never bought a complete AR15 since I've always pieced them together myself, more out of being a parts-picky gear queer than anything. If I wanted something solid off the shelf, it'd probably be Daniel Defense. And even then I'd replace the fugly stock and grip.

(Side note keymod is dead, all hail MLOK.)

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Also, you can consider not even bothering with irons and going straight for a rugged red dot if you choose. The Aimpoint Micro T1 is the king of mini red dots these days, followed by the Comp M4s (civilian version of the M68). The army spent a lot of money studying sights and found that red dots speed up hits on target by 50%, which is the reason why the M68CCO exists. Do not cheap out on optics. DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON OPTICS. It is perfectly acceptable to spend as much, or more, on glass as you do on the gun itself, depending on the purpose. I am a huge proponent of commonly available batteries, so I will push AA over a CR2032 / CR123A option almost everytime with the exception of the T1 because it's just so small and light.

Rat, this may interest you - Remember that pic of a T1 with what looked like a AA battery compartment? A little bird told me at SHOT that it is actually a AAA battery, and that they were contracted for a certain number of pieces... that contract will be completed some time in Q2 this year and we may see them available after that..

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Christ don't tell me that, I can't afford to upgrade/replace the five Micros I already have.

On the topic of home defense ARs, here's an older picture of mine. Only current difference is it's wearing a Surefire 5.56 MONSTER can instead of this one.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
If the apocalypse happens I'm just going to make my way to The Rat with a 2062 ready to be signed, if he'll accept my services as his manservant or something.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Wow ARs are too fuckin expensive. Guess I'll be using sticks and stones.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Bought my 590a1 used for $220. Never had a breakdown and never did anything more than a cursory cleaning. Put at least a thousand rounds through it since 2006.

Lol it weighs 9.8 pounds fully loaded.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

If you can't afford a decent AR, get a decent pistol, because 9 times out of 10 if someone comes in your house you are going to be calling 911 while aiming for the door anyhow. You can get new 9mm Shields for $389, police trade in Glock 17s for $399 or 19s for $369 and save money... and at least the pistol you can carry concealed.

Now that the election is over, there's bargains to be had, because a lot of people maxxed out their credit cards thinking that Cilnton was going to win & assault weapons would be banned. Putting together an AR is slightly more complicated than lego sets so there's nothing stopping you from buying a decent stripped lower receiver, buying a complete upper set up the way you want, and then buying a lower parts kit however you want it and saving money over a prebuilt gun that may have options you don't need. Bud's Gun Shop sells the Colt OEM rifle for $785 - https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/2679/COLT+LE6920-OEM1+CAR+5.56+16+NO+FURNMT

This is a complete rifle, minus handguards, trigger guard stock and carry handle, which are the parts people usually discard and replace with whatever they want. You could toss a B5 SOPMOD stock on there for $60, Magpul handguards for $28 and a Craigslist KAC or whatever BUIS you want, $10 trigger guard and have a complete rifle for under a grand.

Another option is a pistol caliber carbine, or those funky "pistols" that have "stabilizers" or "braces" - the CZ Scorpion EVO 3 is around $700 from various retailers, and is plenty compact for use in a house. Put a brace on it and promise that you'll never, ever, ever shoulder it should you have to use it in an emergency (because that's a felony) and you have a PDW

sky shark fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 1, 2017

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Yeah but they're awesome :3:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I actually do have one gun, but it's a stevens model 940D which is some lil baby shotgun.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Seriously considering having my S&W revolver etched and inlaid by an artist I know who does some pretty neat metal work. It's a blued gun and he's trying to talk me in to doing some silver inlay and getting teak grips that he can do some laser engraving on them as well. He's been researching the old Tiffany custom guns and the late 1800s European firearms engraving and wants to try it out on my cheapo rattlesnake shooter. All it will cost me is the silver used and the price of the grips

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I enjoy my shield 9c, however the grip pokes out when carrying more than I like. I'm considering getting the m&p .380 bodyguard for better concealment or would it be better if i got longer shirts?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
if i didnt live in communist maryland id probably get an sbr pistol caliber ar15 this year. a nice o/u cost more than i want to spend which is the only other thing i'd want.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

if i didnt live in communist maryland id probably get an sbr pistol caliber ar15 this year. a nice o/u cost more than i want to spend which is the only other thing i'd want.

I thought there are still ways to do an SBR in MD?

vains
May 26, 2004

you cant get an ar in md.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah you can it just has to be a heavy barrel. You think the law was well written?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

When I left you could still get one as long as it had a heavy barrel.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That has to easily be one of the dumbest laws I've ever heard

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

not caring here posted:

That has to easily be one of the dumbest laws I've ever heard

gun_control.txt

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

McNally posted:

When I left you could still get one as long as it had a heavy barrel.

Yeah but Heavy Barrel increases side to side recoil

http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/Heavy_Barrel

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Bolow posted:

Yeah but Heavy Barrel increases side to side recoil

http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/Heavy_Barrel

Cost aside, are there any real life disadvantages to a heavier barrel other than the obvious increase in weight (and changes to the balance of the gun)?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
A thicker barrel takes away room for railzzzz and laserzzzzzzzz.

Maybe puts more force against the threads in the receiver? Thermal expansion is gonna be greater on a thicker barrel, but you're talking a difference of (at a rough guess) about .3 microinches per degree F, so about two tenths of gently caress all. And it'd take longer to heat up anyway.

Anyway, whenever someone mentions under and overs I always think of this piece of propaganda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfo1QUGfWZE

vains
May 26, 2004

thats cool. i had to sell my ar before i moved here and i forgot about the hbar thing. i don't think i'll be able to set an sbr though since i live in bmore city and the chief has to sign off on it or i do the whole trust thing.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thats cool. i had to sell my ar before i moved here and i forgot about the hbar thing. i don't think i'll be able to set an sbr though since i live in bmore city and the chief has to sign off on it or i do the whole trust thing.

Nope sign offs were eliminated with 41F. You just mail a notification letter. You don't need a trust either.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Looking for some pistol recommendations at the moment. I have a Sig P229 chambered for .40 S&W, but I'm thinking of getting something a little larger. Suggestions?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Nope sign offs were eliminated with 41F. You just mail a notification letter. You don't need a trust either.

You should still get a trust. A trust is a smart move for any NFA items; it's less than the cost of a single $200 transfer tax, and will allow anyone in the trust to have possession of the NFA item. Your wife has to shoot someone in the house? No worries, she can use the suppressed Glock 19 you have for that. Your brother wants to take your suppressed shotgun or rifle hunting? No problem.

Plus if you keel over and die, the NFA items remain in the trust and aren't confiscated pending the disposition of the will.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pesticide20 posted:

Looking for some pistol recommendations at the moment. I have a Sig P229 chambered for .40 S&W, but I'm thinking of getting something a little larger. Suggestions?

P227?
I'm just waiting for an all stainless one myself.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Pesticide20 posted:

I've got a .45 but I'm kind of meh about it. I do however smile every time I fire a 10mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just want to throw out that by larger I meant frame size, not caliber. Not that I'm opposed to getting something in .45, just was wondering what's decent these days, as every time I look at pistols I almost feel overwhelmed by the options.