Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
FNX45 Tactical is pretty huge, and has 15 +1 in .45. A lot of the pistols these days are going for interchangeable backstraps to better fit your hands: Sig P320, HK VP9 & 40, Glock Gen 4 models, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

my kinda ape posted:

Cost aside, are there any real life disadvantages to a heavier barrel other than the obvious increase in weight (and changes to the balance of the gun)?

Weight is the main disadvantage. Only disadvantage in my book really. I tend to prefer heavy barrels since they don't open up shot groups with heat as quickly, and they also have much less POI deviation when mounting a can when compared to a lighter barrel.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
What's a good optic for a PTR 91? I've always thought eotech stuff was cool but I looked at the prices and gently caress that.

$300 (or less preferably!) is about as high as I'd like to go unless it's absolutely worth spending more.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Spend more. If you have $300 as your limit, buy an Aimpoint PRO if you can find one. Aimpoint Micro T1 or Comp M4s otherwise. Cheap glass won't hold up, and while huge strides have been made in stuff from Holosun and the like, it still breaks

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

In that price range, for that kind of gun, I'd go with a Vortex Strike Eagle myself.

1-6x scope, $329 iirc.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I absolutely love my Aimpoint H1, although that's probably more cost than some other options. Every bit as functional as an Aimpoint Comp M4 and way smaller/lighter. You get what you pay for with Aimpoint, their poo poo is nearly indestructible.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

What is the loving deal with the AR charging handle I mean god drat maybe I just need practice but it is a pain in the dick to use

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Smiling Jack posted:

What is the loving deal with the AR charging handle I mean god drat maybe I just need practice but it is a pain in the dick to use

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-s/123.htm

They're not super gimmicky looking, just a lot stronger and hav better grip than the stock one. I've got the small latch on mine, which is perfect. My upper came with it, so I dunno if I'd drop $50 on a new charging handle personally. I don't think stock charging handles are all that bad.

Also, I'm assuming you're a right handed shooter; how are you manipulating it? One finger? Two fingers?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Pesticide20 posted:

Just want to throw out that by larger I meant frame size, not caliber. Not that I'm opposed to getting something in .45, just was wondering what's decent these days, as every time I look at pistols I almost feel overwhelmed by the options.

Get a 1911. Unless you're a loving communist/terrorist sympathizer.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Godholio posted:

Get a 1911. Unless you're a loving communist/terrorist sympathizer.

1911s are one of those guns that while you're better off getting something a bit more modern to start with, you're going to probably end up with one sooner or later.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Larry Vickers had this to say about 1911s

quote:

The 1911 is an enthusiast’s pistols. In order to keep that gun running you have to, it’s not optional, you have to become your own armorer to a degree. You have to be able to diagnose and fix minor problems on an end user level. If you’re not willing to sign up for that, frankly you have no business running a 1911 for anything other than occasional recreational shooting. If you’re going to put yourself in harm’s way with that gun and you’re not willing to sign up for that, then you need to avoid it.

Of course he was pimping the HK45 he helped design instead, but the point is that the 1911, while iconic, is a gun that will require more maintenance & care than a garden variety glock

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've only put about 3k rounds through mine, but that seems exaggerated. I've never had to do more than a standard teardown for cleaning/oiling. It's a little more complicated than, say, a Beretta, but if it's not your first time cracking open a pistol you can probably figure it out without youtube.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

Seriously considering having my S&W revolver etched and inlaid by an artist I know who does some pretty neat metal work. It's a blued gun and he's trying to talk me in to doing some silver inlay and getting teak grips that he can do some laser engraving on them as well. He's been researching the old Tiffany custom guns and the late 1800s European firearms engraving and wants to try it out on my cheapo rattlesnake shooter. All it will cost me is the silver used and the price of the grips
I would say you should absolutely do this, but I have a soft spot for barbeque guns.

Pesticide20 posted:

Looking for some pistol recommendations at the moment. I have a Sig P229 chambered for .40 S&W, but I'm thinking of getting something a little larger. Suggestions?
Just for recreational shooting, or is this something you might have to trust your life to?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dead Reckoning posted:

Just for recreational shooting, or is this something you might have to trust your life to?

Occasionally plinking, self defense if necessary.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

my kinda ape posted:

What's a good optic for a PTR 91? I've always thought eotech stuff was cool but I looked at the prices and gently caress that.

$300 (or less preferably!) is about as high as I'd like to go unless it's absolutely worth spending more.

What are you looking for in an optic? Trying to push the range? Mid-range? Up close? I dunno because I don't have an optic for mine, but what you're looking for willc hange the advice given

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

So it seems like if I go down this road I should just get a shotty with like 50 shells and then upgrade to an AR clone if I actually shoot the drat thing. Does this seem reasonable?

e: also would appreciate make/model/quote

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

ARs are way more fun and useful for multiple purposes (plinking, longer range shooting, etc.), plus you can build a cheap one for ~$500.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Agree, shotguns and ARs are apples and oranges as far as the types of shooting you do with them.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Pesticide20 posted:

Looking for some pistol recommendations at the moment. I have a Sig P229 chambered for .40 S&W, but I'm thinking of getting something a little larger. Suggestions?

I've always been happy with my CZ75 SP-01.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I thought for sure somebody in GiP posted about this a while back, but I can't dig up the post. Has anybody ever owned an Inland Mfg M1 Carbine? They look poo poo hot, but I always prefer personal anecdotes over paid reviews.

https://www.inland-mfg.com/assets/images/2016%20Flyer.pdf

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I have a NPM M1 purchased through the CMP

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/617093573

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Arc Light posted:

I thought for sure somebody in GiP posted about this a while back, but I can't dig up the post. Has anybody ever owned an Inland Mfg M1 Carbine? They look poo poo hot, but I always prefer personal anecdotes over paid reviews.

https://www.inland-mfg.com/assets/images/2016%20Flyer.pdf

Well it's not the original company for one. Two those are practically as much as an original.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

FastestGunAlive posted:

What are you looking for in an optic? Trying to push the range? Mid-range? Up close? I dunno because I don't have an optic for mine, but what you're looking for willc hange the advice given

Mid-to close range I'd say. Probably closer to mid.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Pesticide20 posted:

Occasionally plinking, self defense if necessary.
TBH, I've found the guns best for self defense are not the most fun guns to plink with; they tend to be utilitarian plastic bricks that are accurate, have nice but not amazing triggers, and go bang every time.

You already have the P229, which covers the "oh God what if I have to defend myself" niche pretty well. If you're planning to sell it to fund your new purchase, I personally like the Walther PPQ 5", and I've heard good things about the P320 full size.

If you are going to keep it, you may as well get something that is fun to plink with. Depending on your budget, an uncoverted Ruger Single Six is a neat little take on the Cowboy gun. If you're shopping up-market, High Standard automatic target pistols, .32 wadcutter target pistols, and PPC revolvers are all great shooters.

There is also the option of getting a revolver. Smith & Wesson .38 or .357 revolvers are still cheap, or you could get a Ruger GP-100. They have good to excellent triggers, and let you plink with low recoil .38 special wadcutters or shoot full power .38spl +P or .357 mag. They are sub-optimal for self defense compared to a semi auto pistol, but are a drat sight better than nothing, and .357 magnum hasn't gotten any less deadly since 1935.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Dead Reckoning posted:

There is also the option of getting a revolver. Smith & Wesson .38 or .357 revolvers are still cheap, or you could get a Ruger GP-100. They have good to excellent triggers, and let you plink with low recoil .38 special wadcutters or shoot full power .38spl +P or .357 mag. They are sub-optimal for self defense compared to a semi auto pistol, but are a drat sight better than nothing, and .357 magnum hasn't gotten any less deadly since 1935.

I had a GP100 a while back and the trigger out of the box kinda sucked, but that's easily fixed with a Wolff power spring pack and watching a youtube video on how to swap springs. Also changing the factory sights to something useful is incredibly easy as all you do is depress a plunger for the front sight blade and it falls off, then punch a pin for the rear sight. Super simple poo poo.

But boy oh boy when revolvers gently caress up, they're a pain in the rear end to get going again.

Kinda want to get another one, though. A 4" this time instead of the 6" I had, that thing was just a smidge too long.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My .357 has a 4" barrel and I'm glad I went with that instead of a 6".

Used to have one of those H&R 922s and it was like looking down a dowel rod when I shot it. Something like an 8" barrel on a .22 revolver is just ridiculous.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Found a semi-local gun range that has a great selection of pistols for rent, and there's a price break at three. What is the difference between the Glock 30SF and 30 Gen 4? I see a bunch of contradictory nonsense on various forums, but on Glock's own website the specs are loving identical and so are the apparent features in the images. It's not the same photo, but it might as well be the same gun pictured twice.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Have you checked the Glock thread in TFR?

E http://www.glockforum.net/forum/glock-talk-discussion/3022-glock-30-30-sf-differences.html

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=432620

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I hear you guys like 4 inches.

357 club checking in.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
IMO, five is the correct number of inches for a .357 revolver.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Anything over the lug is a waste. :colbert:

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

SquirrelyPSU posted:

So it seems like if I go down this road I should just get a shotty with like 50 shells and then upgrade to an AR clone if I actually shoot the drat thing. Does this seem reasonable?

e: also would appreciate make/model/quote

If you can't afford a used Glock 19, then get a shotgun - Remington 870, Mossberg 500 or 590. Buy a shitload of ammo and learn how to run it, and learn how to handle it inside your house.

If you can afford a Glock 19, but not a quality AR, then buy the Glock and some spare magazines & a good holster & belt.

If you can afford an AR, buy an AR, and a dozen or so magazines (unless you took more home when you ETSed), then a quality red dot.

Also invest in a small & bright flashlight to keep with your pistol. Something like 70% of shootings take place in dark environments and with cheap AA / AAA lights coming out of China for $30 with 100+ lumens, there's no excuse not to have one.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Also if you're purchasing a firearm.for home defense also invest in poo poo like an alarm system, good deadbolts, etc

Stuff to either wake you up when you're at home or act as a deterrent when you aren't home.

A dog is not a reliable home guard or alarm system, don't count on fluffy.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Dead Reckoning posted:

IMO, five is the correct number of inches for a .357 revolver.

You son of a bitch I've been wanting a 5" 27 for ages :argh:

sky shark posted:

If you can't afford a used Glock 19, then get a shotgun - Remington 870, Mossberg 500.

Try to avoid new Remingtons, though. QC has fallen off super hard, and the Express line is especially bad. 500s are also kinda ho hum but at least the finish on those won't rub off on your hands. Come on, Remington :( Summitgunbroker usually has a good supply of former police 870s, including older and nicer 870 Wingmaster riot guns.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

No, I can only handle so much self-fellatio before I lose interest and re-proclaim that I'll never own a glock. But this page actually has some side-by sides of the standard G30 and the SF, AND a description of the difference. The SF's backstrap has 3mm taken out.

Fake edit: :lol: Nevermind, the Glocks run $200-300 more than the Springfield and M&P I'm looking at.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

If you still have a military ID (not sure if IRR counts, depends on the dealer I suppose) S&W has a huge military discount. Just go to a S&W LE dealer and you can buy their LE SKU guns. I think it's $450ish for an M&P with factory night sights and 3 mags. Plus sometimes they have a $50-$100 rebate on top of that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's basically what I'm doing, if I go with the M&P, but the price is actually a little better than that. The XDS will be about 450, the various G30s are 650+.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Glock does the same thing for LEOs and active duty / retired MIL with their blue label program - https://us.glock.com/bluelabel

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If you're looking at Austrian maybe look at the steyr line. I doubt you'll find one to rent at a range though. And mags are probably expensive with a bonus side of scarce.

But pew pew space gun pew.

I carry a raging semi for the Steyr L40 and the Baby Eagle in .40 with the longer barrel. If I had no restraint, a chunk of my tax return would be going to one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

sky shark posted:

Glock does the same thing for LEOs and active duty / retired MIL with their blue label program - https://us.glock.com/bluelabel

Does ruger do this