Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Godholio posted:

No, I can only handle so much self-fellatio before I lose interest and re-proclaim that I'll never own a glock. But this page actually has some side-by sides of the standard G30 and the SF, AND a description of the difference. The SF's backstrap has 3mm taken out.

Fake edit: :lol: Nevermind, the Glocks run $200-300 more than the Springfield and M&P I'm looking at.

You're not the only one. They feel all wrong with that weird grip and they just recoil wrong to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

You son of a bitch I've been wanting a 5" 27 for ages :argh:

Oh, no worries then, because that's just a pre-27 :q:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Does ruger do this

Not as far as I know, probably because Ruger doesn't chase a lot of Mil or LE contracts.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i thought yall got to keep the gun if you killed someone with it

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Proud Christian Mom posted:

i thought yall got to keep the gun if you killed someone with it

No, that's scalps*.

*SEALS only.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Dead Reckoning posted:

Oh, no worries then, because that's just a pre-27 :q:

:argh::argh::argh:

Edit:

I kinda want to pick up a 4" model 28, too. At least those are easier to find.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 3, 2017

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Little lady wants a :barf: Taurus :barf: curve. Anyone know if they're any good?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I've never seen one of those or even heard of it until now. I recommend finding a place that carries them and let her handle it. Even better would be finding a range that'll rent one out.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I can't decide whether they designed the gun like that or it was bad q/a and they just went with it

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

I've never seen one of those or even heard of it until now. I recommend finding a place that carries them and let her handle it. Even better would be finding a range that'll rent one out.

She got to fire one already at the range. We have a gun dealer out here who does a ladies night type thing where he encourages women to come out and shoot guns. She ended up digging the Curve and hating the LC9, which surprised me. I'm a dilettante at best when it comes to semi-auto pistols but I have heard awful things about Taurus guns in general for the last 6 years or so, so I was curious if this is the exception to the rule or just garbage

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
A few of their models are built on old hardware from other companies. Taurus bought an old Beretta factory and continued operations with the same tooling and workers, just rebranding the product as the PT-92. I've actually heard the reliability is good, though.

Edit: Here's a pretty interesting review of the Curve.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 3, 2017

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Godholio posted:

A few of their models are built on old hardware from other companies. Taurus bought an old Beretta factory and continued operations with the same tooling and workers, just rebranding the product as the PT-92. I've actually heard the reliability is good, though.

Edit: Here's a pretty interesting review of the Curve.

:lol: Even Foghorn was saying its poo poo.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I, too, have always asked the question of "what if nerf and Lego made a real gun"

Wait, no I haven't.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Eesh. Yeah, that review seems to confirm a few fears.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Booblord Zagats posted:

Eesh. Yeah, that review seems to confirm a few fears.

While not a normal strategy, does your wife react to not wanting "cheap brands and labels?"

That or show her this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9_YWNo1f-o

While that's just Brazil; there was also this:
http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/07/taurus_agrees_to_voluntary_rec.html
https://www.tauruscartersettlement.com/

I'll also say this having held both the Judge and the Governor, while both being gimmick guns, the Judge felt like a hunk of crap vs the Governor.

not caring here posted:

I, too, have always asked the question of "what if nerf and Lego made a real gun"

Wait, no I haven't.

You to can work for Kel-Tec!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

MazelTovCocktail posted:

While not a normal strategy, does your wife react to not wanting "cheap brands and labels?"

She doesn't care. She grew up on a ranch and having her clothes come from Tractor Supply, Wal Mart and places like that so she doesn't give two shits about the label on something.

She does like shooting my Bersa PPK knock-off though, so I'll probably just give her that even though its a bit heavier than she wanted

e: and yeah, the judge is a turd, I don;t care for the governor either. I'm a revolver guy and I've had 2 Taurus revolvers (a 38sp and a 44) and they were both good guns with no issues in my years with them, but I'dn be remiss not to point outr that my Rossi re-manufacture of the same 38 model was miles better in terms of mechanical smoothness and accuracy and my S&W 357 is even more-so. So I was curious if they'd gotten any better with semi-autos after seeing a friends PT24 be a laughable poo poo-gun for years. It would appear they have not

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 3, 2017

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Booblord Zagats posted:

She doesn't care. She grew up on a ranch and having her clothes come from Tractor Supply, Wal Mart and places like that so she doesn't give two shits about the label on something.
Well that's not a bad thing, but in this case, if it worked, it wouldn't have been a bad outcome. lol

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Tractor Supply is pretty good.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Are all the good red dots disposable batteries or am I just not searching hard enough for one that can be used from a nice usb charger?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Nobody makes a rechargable USB AFAIK. Closest you could get is by buying a AA or 123A powered one and using rechargable batteries in it.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

sky shark posted:

If you can't afford a used Glock 19, then get a shotgun - Remington 870, Mossberg 500 or 590. Buy a shitload of ammo and learn how to run it, and learn how to handle it inside your house.

If you can afford a Glock 19, but not a quality AR, then buy the Glock and some spare magazines & a good holster & belt.

If you can afford an AR, buy an AR, and a dozen or so magazines (unless you took more home when you ETSed), then a quality red dot.

Also invest in a small & bright flashlight to keep with your pistol. Something like 70% of shootings take place in dark environments and with cheap AA / AAA lights coming out of China for $30 with 100+ lumens, there's no excuse not to have one.

I'm a bridge inspector. I have the best and most luxurious flashlights.

I appreciate the post though. Exactly what I was hoping to see.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

Are all the good red dots disposable batteries or am I just not searching hard enough for one that can be used from a nice usb charger?

Not technically a red dot, but Vortex has a new Eotech knock off that has a micro USB port for charging. They're supposed to start shipping sometime this spring.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/03/news/companies/trump-gun-ammo-sales/index.html

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Booblord Zagats posted:

e: and yeah, the judge is a turd, I don;t care for the governor either. I'm a revolver guy and I've had 2 Taurus revolvers (a 38sp and a 44) and they were both good guns with no issues in my years with them, but I'dn be remiss not to point outr that my Rossi re-manufacture of the same 38 model was miles better in terms of mechanical smoothness and accuracy and my S&W 357 is even more-so. So I was curious if they'd gotten any better with semi-autos after seeing a friends PT24 be a laughable poo poo-gun for years. It would appear they have not

The positive talk on Rossi revolvers is kind of relieving. My .357mag is a Rossi and watching the rear sight fly off at the range during my ccw class was really off-putting, but it was cheap and everything important mechanically works like a charm. And the rear sight was re-tapped for a larger screw and as much metal-metal adhesive as physically possible without being noticeable.

I wouldn't buy a Rossi again, but I'm comfortable with the one I have. Until I can dump money on that R8 someone mentioned before in another thread. But I don't have that kind of gun money laying around.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

The positive talk on Rossi revolvers is kind of relieving. My .357mag is a Rossi and watching the rear sight fly off at the range during my ccw class was really off-putting, but it was cheap and everything important mechanically works like a charm. And the rear sight was re-tapped for a larger screw and as much metal-metal adhesive as physically possible without being noticeable.

I wouldn't buy a Rossi again, but I'm comfortable with the one I have. Until I can dump money on that R8 someone mentioned before in another thread. But I don't have that kind of gun money laying around.

I'd buy another Rossi if I needed another short barrel snake shooter I could leave in a drawer until I need to shoot some substandard hand load at something 12 feet away and never, ever gently caress up in the slightest or need any service past the occasional oiling. Because It does that job exceedingly well

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Part of me really wants a Chiappa Rhino in a 5" barrel for my first revolver purchase, mainly because I'm into super weird engineering (it's the same reason I bought my project car, really. Rotary engines are fascinating, and so are underslung revolvers).

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

It never went into production but the G11 was the holy poo poo :wtc: of firearms engineering

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Smiling Jack posted:

It never went into production but the G11 was the holy poo poo :wtc: of firearms engineering

I've always said, if you're going to buy something that would benefit from lots of little springs, levers, and gears, like a wrist watch, or a handgun, buy it from the Germans. Because there is nothing German engineers love more than lots of little springs, levers, and gears.

Capn Beeb posted:

But boy oh boy when revolvers gently caress up, they're a pain in the rear end to get going again.
They certainly lack the simplicity of a Glock or Makarov, where repair and troubleshooting consists of, "Take apart the gun, determine which of the ten parts is worn or broken, put the gun back together." That said, there are plenty of people out there who can work on Smiths, and I don't think Ruger is going anywhere any time soon. Neither of them should go out of time at enthusiast levels of shooting.

Professor Bling posted:

Part of me really wants a Chiappa Rhino in a 5" barrel for my first revolver purchase, mainly because I'm into super weird engineering (it's the same reason I bought my project car, really. Rotary engines are fascinating, and so are underslung revolvers).
The trigger on the one I tried was somewhere between "poo poo" and "rear end."

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dead Reckoning posted:

The trigger on the one I tried was somewhere between "poo poo" and "rear end."

Well, that's a shame. I'll have to see if I can find one to test, then.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I'd like an AR that has the short stroke piston action versus the Gas operated direct impingement system. I had a silenced HK-416 variant with a forward grip and I forget what PEQ/Optics but I loved the gun when I was playing cowboys and Indians in Afghanistan and Iraq. I wasn't a door kicker, but I had to go on a lot of missions for SSE / Battlefield interrogating.

Is buying a civilian H&K the only way I can get that piston action? Or do other manufacturers make similar products?

Christ it's gonna be pricey to get an H&K and then a long wait and even more money for a silencer. Plus whatever optics I decide on.

Oh god all my money.

Is it also NFA to get a really short barrel too?

The thing I loved about having a suppressed weapon was that I didn't need ear pro when practicing on the range. I'd like that again as a civvie.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I'd like an AR that has the short stroke piston action versus the Gas operated direct impingement system. I had a silenced HK-416 variant with a forward grip and I forget what PEQ/Optics but I loved the gun when I was playing cowboys and Indians in Afghanistan and Iraq. I wasn't a door kicker, but I had to go on a lot of missions for SSE / Battlefield interrogating.

Is buying a civilian H&K the only way I can get that piston action? Or do other manufacturers make similar products?

Christ it's gonna be pricey to get an H&K and then a long wait and even more money for a silencer. Plus whatever optics I decide on.

Oh god all my money.

The thing I loved about having a suppressed weapon was that I didn't need ear pro when practicing on the range. I'd like that again as a civvie.

MR556A1 is the civ variant, separate tax stamps ($200 ea) for the can and registering the lower as an SBR. Probably less expensive to grab a decent lower to register, then order the shorty upper since as it's not technically the "gun" part you can just get it shipped to your door. There are definitely other manufacturers doing the piston AR thing, but HK seems to be the one with the least bitching about traditional problems you'd hear with a direct impingement to piston ghetto-rig.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Cans need stamps and SBRs need registered... for now.

Didn't the GOP want to introduce legislation to make it easier to get around that poo poo?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Oh god all my money.

There are other companies that make piston uppers. LWRC is the top dog outside of HK, then there's Sig, Adams Arms and some others. I used to have a LWRC upper, but I sold it because it wasn't as accurate as I wanted and the recoil impulse was very noticeably sharper than a direct gas AR upper. It ran cleaner, sure, but about the same time I realized that my direct gas uppers were running just as reliably. (I keep my guns well l00bed and don't clean them often.) And then there's the whole replacement parts commonality thing.

Supposedly they're better for short barrels and can use. But I have both and have done just fine with direct gas and regular oiling.

That said, suppressed short weapons are fun as hell. I still keep my earpro on for anything supersonic though. Yeah there's legislation introduced, but I honestly don't see it passing. But then I didn't see the current election results happening and welp here we are.

(147gr 9mm is subsonic by default, and that out of the canned 5K there is FUN ON A BUN.)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I never shoot full speed rounds with a suppressor on without earpros. Not even with a big rear end can. That sonic whipcrack is a sneaky bastard. It's a lot less mean for sure with 5.56, the bigger the hole the less the suppressor effect is even with subsonics.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

You should really be using hearing protection either way

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Professor Bling posted:

Well, that's a shame. I'll have to see if I can find one to test, then.

The generation 2 allegedly has better triggers, and frankly, if you want to own this masterpiece:

or the drug lord gun from a 90s film set in 2030,

...who am I to get in your way?

Now, on the other hand, the nice thing about collecting firearms is that there are a huge number of designs that tried out absolutely nuts operating principles over the years, so there are lots to pick from if you are a fan of unreasonable engineering choices.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

The generation 2 allegedly has better triggers, and frankly, if you want to own this masterpiece:

or the drug lord gun from a 90s film set in 2030,

...who am I to get in your way?

Now, on the other hand, the nice thing about collecting firearms is that there are a huge number of designs that tried out absolutely nuts operating principles over the years, so there are lots to pick from if you are a fan of unreasonable engineering choices.

They dont look comfy at all to hold.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
That looks like something :siren: anime warning :siren: out of Trigun

Edit: I want to shoot one

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Pesticide20 posted:

That looks like something :siren: anime warning :siren: out of Trigun
That's because it's a poor man's version of the Mateba revolvers, which the people who make animes apparently have a big ol' throbbing hard on for.

(I believe TFR members own something like 1/5 of all the MTR-8s ever imported.)

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

That's because it's a poor man's version of the Mateba revolvers, which the people who make animes apparently have a big ol' throbbing hard on for.

They look pretty fuckin' cool. It's too bad they're rare as hell and handguns are a pain in the dick law-wise in Canada because god drat, I'd own one.

I'm not that much of a fan of the MTR-8 though. Bit too weird looking for me.