Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Cans need stamps and SBRs need registered... for now.

Didn't the GOP want to introduce legislation to make it easier to get around that poo poo?

yeah so what? the nfa isnt good legislation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
I can understand the argument for additional regulations on machineguns and actual destructive devices like mortars, RPGs and other explosives. Not saying I agree with the argument, but I can understand it.

Silencers though? People need to understand that silencers wound up being restricted because the NFA was done in the Great Depression & people were poaching because it was either illegally shoot a deer or your family starves.

Silencers are literally safety devices. No more, no less. The uniform & lockstep opposition to deregulating them from the people who scream about "common sense regulation" and "firearms safety measures" really shows their true colors.

This whole movie nonsense of a 3" can making a pistol go "pew pew" is the same silly bullshit that makes them believe that a shotgun blast will send someone through a wall, or hand grenades make fiery red explosions. A parallel example is the federal ban on switchblades which came about not because of actual crime or anything horrific, but after the movie West Side Story.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

sky shark posted:

I can understand the argument for additional regulations on machineguns and actual destructive devices like mortars, RPGs and other explosives. Not saying I agree with the argument, but I can understand it.

Silencers though? People need to understand that silencers wound up being restricted because the NFA was done in the Great Depression & people were poaching because it was either illegally shoot a deer or your family starves.

I dont think poaching will go away ever. If they make it that easier they had to ban them back in the day where there was that much more wildlife it must of been pretty bad.

poo poo now my views on suppressors are interlocked with EBT benefits. NO FOOD STAMPS? NO SUPPRESSORS!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

I'm not that much of a fan of the MTR-8 though. Bit too weird looking for me.
It was allegedly designed on a bet, so I'm not really surprised.

Kazinsal posted:

handguns are a pain in the dick law-wise in Canada because god drat, I'd own one.
Emilio Ghisoni's got you covered:

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 5, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

yeah so what? the nfa isnt good legislation.

I'm actually rather neutral on the issue. Just remembered seeing something about gun legislation around silencers and poo poo introduced.

Silencers aren't something I'm politically excitable about. I'm pretty liberal all around, even in conservative concerns. Just be sure the person isn't going on a homicidal free for all and not already a violent offender and I could really care less. So own whatever silenced machine gun you want, it's your ammo, money, etc.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

The Rat posted:

In that price range, for that kind of gun, I'd go with a Vortex Strike Eagle myself.

1-6x scope, $329 iirc.

Ordered one of these from Brownells last night with a cantilever mount included for $330 total, and free shipping. Pretty sweet deal.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Let us know how you like it once you get it!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apparently the ATF wants to be really chill now. This is just so bizarre to read. They even talk about the rifle import ban getting junked.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...7882_story.html
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/02/06/breaking-atf-white-paper-leaked/

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Someone doesn't want their agency disbanded.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

sky shark posted:

Someone doesn't want their agency disbanded.

But enough about the NRA

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I wouldn't buy a Rossi again, but I'm comfortable with the one I have.

Ended up going shooting lastnight with a friend, he has a brand new Rossi R85104 and it actually shot much better than my old Rossi and my new S&W .357, way more accurate, smoother action, less recoil. I'm now seriously debating selling my SW because I can pick up the same Rossi from a local gunshop for $250 and my SW sells for around $650 around here

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

For those looking for armor: http://www.skdtac.com/FirstSpear-STT-1-Armor-Package-p/fsr.910.htm

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Booblord Zagats posted:

Ended up going shooting lastnight with a friend, he has a brand new Rossi R85104 and it actually shot much better than my old Rossi and my new S&W .357, way more accurate, smoother action, less recoil. I'm now seriously debating selling my SW because I can pick up the same Rossi from a local gunshop for $250 and my SW sells for around $650 around here

I have the 97104.

I like it, I really do. It shoots straight and everything works nicely. But after the rear sight ejected itself, I started reading more reviews. Warranty work is in the neighborhood of hilarious and ridiculous so I took it to the shop I bought it from and their smith took care of it for cheap.

In the end, I wanted a revolver and if you're gonna gamble on cheap or brazilian, may as well try a Rossi. Function over form. But it does look pretty decent too.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 9, 2017

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

The Rat posted:

Let us know how you like it once you get it!

It seems pretty sweet! Haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet, or without it for that matter.

I've never mounted a scope before, does this look about right or should it be farther forward? Still roomy enough to not interfere with the charging handle but if it has to go more than about one notch forward it might get a little cramped.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
If you haven't shot the rifle at yet, if you seat your cheek too far forward on the stock, the part where it curves up to the rest of the rifle will be slamming into your cheek from recoil. So that will be a consideration for mounting the scope as well. Let me know how you like it though, still in the market for a scope for mine

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Also be sure that the mounting screws all have loctite on them, especially with a heavy recoiling gun like that.

Scope mount position is personal preference; I usually get prone and set it based on my eye relief in that position. As long as it's close enough that you have a good sight picture, but not close enough that it's gonna smack you in the face under recoil, it should be fine.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also remember to HK slap it a few times to test Die Hard quality....I mean yes it's not an mp5 or hk94...but you can still do it.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I have the 97104.

I like it, I really do. It shoots straight and everything works nicely. But after the rear sight ejected itself, I started reading more reviews. Warranty work is in the neighborhood of hilarious and ridiculous so I took it to the shop I bought it from and their smith took care of it for cheap.

In the end, I wanted a revolver and if you're gonna gamble on cheap or brazilian, may as well try a Rossi. Function over form. But it does look pretty decent too.

I have the short barrel version of that gun (R46102), it's honestly the most reliable gun I have ever owned. I'm kind of amazed by it too, because all I ever really shoot from it aside from the occasional .38 P at the range is snake shot packed by local rednecks, and it has never had a single issue and it's still accurate at 20 yards. Though I have after-market grips and sights on it

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

You wanna build up the comb on the buttstock on that rifle when you're using it with a scope. You can make one from Kydex but there's stuff you can buy too.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Force de Fappe posted:

You wanna build up the comb on the buttstock on that rifle when you're using it with a scope. You can make one from Kydex but there's stuff you can buy too.

I actually have a cheek piece arriving today!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Went shooting today. Also found out that a medical marijuana card is a DQ for a concealed carry permit until the card expires + 1 year, because in the eyes of the ATF, you're admitting to addiction to a Schedule 1 drug. :what:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
And that's why I haven't gone and gotten a med card here in Colorado. California's supreme court answered that question a few months back. Only a matter of time before that question gets added to the list of poo poo to answer on a background check.

Since weed's legal here, common sense would say you can say no to using illegal narcotics if you just smoke weed. Don't go in looking all rasta or smelling like you just put the bong down and you're fine.

Or just go to a gun show.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

They've already added a question about it to the form 4473: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/atf-form-4473-firearms-transaction-record-revisions

And I dunno about other states, but here in CO, any firearm transfer must go through the regular FFL background check, even at a gun show. It's been that way even before the 2013 background check laws.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

The Rat posted:

They've already added a question about it to the form 4473: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/atf-form-4473-firearms-transaction-record-revisions

And I dunno about other states, but here in CO, any firearm transfer must go through the regular FFL background check, even at a gun show. It's been that way even before the 2013 background check laws.

and of course, everyone has followed that law. even tho theres plenty of gun shops that refuse to do a 3rd party background check

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I haven't looked into the laws here besides cursory glances. It was the wild goddamn west in Tennessee and gun shows are pretty much the easiest way to buy a gun. Dealers are one thing, they're gonna check. But Billy Bob walking around with an armload of ARs he bought on credit and can't make the bill is not going to care in the slightest.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

and of course, everyone has followed that law. even tho theres plenty of gun shops that refuse to do a 3rd party background check

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying I agree with it, just saying that's what's currently on the books.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

I haven't looked into the laws here besides cursory glances. It was the wild goddamn west in Tennessee and gun shows are pretty much the easiest way to buy a gun. Dealers are one thing, they're gonna check. But Billy Bob walking around with an armload of ARs he bought on credit and can't make the bill is not going to care in the slightest.

that may be true, but it still is technically illegal. also getting new mags over 15 rounds is a no no. there might have also been some other dumb poo poo but those are the two main laws they rammed thru in 2013

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah. I planned on looking into it more closely when I get around to making a serious decision on what to buy. That's probably not any time in the immediate future. Just the revolver and a cricket bat will suit for now.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

my kinda ape posted:

Ordered one of these from Brownells last night with a cantilever mount included for $330 total, and free shipping. Pretty sweet deal.
Nice! I picked one up around Black Friday, I think. It's pretty rad for the price.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
ok i gotta catch up with this thread because i'm a horrible thread maker and douchecanoe who hasn't been reading the forums much lately. sorry guys i flaked on my own thread.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

As penance you should go buy a stripped AR lower.

Then you will know the pain of analysis paralysis as you try to figure out what the best cost/performance on every drat part is.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
That's actually next up on my list of to-do's. Had to sell all my guns a long time ago along with my AR I built because I was broke. Time to get another one. Had an Aeroprecision lower and DSA 16" uppper that Miso Beno and two other friends bought for my birthday. I hated having to sell it especially because it was a birthday present.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Got the muzzle brake and wide handguard installed yesterday. Took it out and put 40 rounds through it. Tons of fun to shoot! I like the vortex strike eagle a lot, thanks for the recommendation guys.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Finally got the Mini Scout light that I had been waiting on, now the K is fully ready to get bizzay.

Once I can get some nice daylight pics, I'm gonna drop a gigantic fat dump of a box thread in TFR for this and all the other ridiculous poo poo I've gotten in the last few months.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
since its you, im gonna assume you paid the tax for sbr and silencer, and its not a fake can hiding a 16" underneath

if thats the case then :swoon:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah, SBR and silencer stamps. It's a .45 can, but still works on 9. Totally hearing safe outside, the ring of steel being shot is louder than the sound of the gun itself. (I'm running 147gr rounds which are subsonic by default of course. There's an audible crack with 115gr rounds.)

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
A good dogge and fun on a bun in the same photo! :krad:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Who makes a good hard case? Rifle and pistol sizes. Obviously Pelican, but I really hate the pricetag, but I also don't want to drop a cool $50 on a Plano that's going to shatter after 8 minutes of UV exposure.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just buy the Pelican. Everyone balks at the price, but you won't find the same quality in something cheaper.

I mean, it's a gun case, not a cooler. You don't need a yeti to tote beer around all day, but beer is a significantly cheaper investment than a firearm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A Pelican long enough to hold an M1 costs about 40% of what I paid for my M1.

Edit: I'll probably end up doing it, but I don't want to give up yet.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 15, 2017