Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Should I buy a nice bolt action or an M1A, while dealing with CT restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

sky shark posted:

Get both? Remington 700, M1A and get a 10/22 takedown for cheap ammo

Well is the cost worth an M1A over an nicely finished 700? Which leads to recommendations for necessary accessories. I've got 22s and shotguns already.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

DoktorLoken posted:

If I lived in a lovely state for gun laws I'd probably just get a .357 revolver of sorts and a lever action carbine in the same caliber. That and maybe a decent surplus bolt action rifle.

I've got a 30/30 lever action that I love. Never tried it with those poly ballistic tips I've heard about though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

if someone could help me id appreciate it

i live down the road from an NCO from my old company, he runs pistol permit classes and is a cool dude

I've put off getting a pistol permit for so long it's embarrassing.

Kazinsal posted:

What are CT's restrictions on M1As? A nice bolt action will probably be more practical if you've got magazine restrictions.

Really just the 10 round magazine restriction and I think some accessories like military muzzle breaks or something dumb. I haven't had to look into it for years, but I know they've only gotten worse.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Alright, that kinda sold me. I've seen some nice match grade M1A's and the semi-auto is attractive, but if it loses practical effectiveness I'll just pursue a nice 700. Now knowing all the kind of marketing poo poo Remington probably pulls that will be fun to research.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Doubly fun to research then. (Someone just tell me what to buy for like 100-500yrd)

N4B we should do a range day.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

within 30 min of Hartford.

(CT is small yo) I've done most of my shooting in Wallingford.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
So should I be looking around for an old 700, or is there a new bolt action king in .308

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Mike-o posted:

But man we got a lot more dudes in here that like guns than I realized

This is GiP after all.

the Ruger RPR looks like a good starting point for shopping. Theres a whole thread for optics in TFR too, but its TFR so...

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

The Rat posted:

What's your optics budget?

~$800 baring obvious advantages that an extra few hundred would get me.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Proud Christian Mom posted:

they're Immortan Joe Biden's War Boys

I will ride glorious on the corvette road!

Also I want to buy a plate carrier now, that one looks sexy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Are all the good red dots disposable batteries or am I just not searching hard enough for one that can be used from a nice usb charger?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
More CT annoyances: (entirely bureaucratic) waiting periods on issuing pistol permits.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

DoktorLoken posted:

Removing suppressors from NFA would be cool but really I just want federally enacted CCW reciprocity. That's like one of the sole good things I see the GOP Congress doing in the next 4 years.

:same:

But also being able to own a can and a flak jacket would be nice. I want New England to be 3 gun friendly.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yeah I found out that owning body armor is a felony in CT unless you're active law enforcement or military.

Still thinking of setting up an NFA trust beween me, my sister, and my dad spreading the legal question to three different states.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Turns out I misread it, its only illegal to own if you have a felony, and illegal to buy unless it's a face to face transaction

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Joe is a weapon of the people

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Soon you'll be able to buy those stupid two finger rocker triggers like paintball guns have. Who needs accuracy?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Rather than ask TFR, is there any reason E-Triggers would be illegal? I understand that under the NFA you can't have it shoot more than one bullet per trigger action but is there a rule that it has to be a mechanical linkage? Because if not i've got an extra 10-22 that I might experiment on, i've got a ton of electronic components around.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Reverand maynard posted:

I think its illegal because it would be easy to modify it to be full auto.

That would be a weird case because you can modify mechanical triggers too.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I don't know what i'm looking at but I know I don't like it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Recent expenses have put an RPR with that 3-15x50 y'all recommend on the back burner for a few months.

But I now have a S&W Shield in 9mm that I got for $400

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
exactly why I bought it. $75 off

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I don't feel bad for overpaying, its the local shop & range that I've been going to since I was a kid. They're just about the only one close by.

Anyone else who's had a shield, did the slide release need a while to break in? So far its been a bitch, too flush to get any leverage on it and its under enough tension that I've needed both hands to depress it. Really hoping its just because its new

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Well it definitely didn't want to release just by racking it, which is what the user manual says. The user manual is really lovely

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Nope, I understood that much from the manual. 72 rounds and a cleaning (and day two) and it now isn't a pain in the rear end if I leave it open and clear on the bench between cease fires

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I keep shopping for holsters for my shield and I don't even know what I'm really judging based on

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
WANT

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Please describe all the details of that gun so I know what to save up for. (After the RPR, I'm not a monster who will jump my own queue because a pretty girl showed up)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Never having to had used anything like that for true purposes... Whats the advantage for having an aimpoint and a ACOG?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Ahh, I didn't realize the zoom on the ACOG was enough to ruin close range sight picture, but like I said i've never had experience so I'll keep that in mind.

I've now got a fund going for this after getting the RPR next month.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Friend is looking for a handgun to carry when he's in the wilderness fishing, he goes to bear country alot. Got into discussing it with him and I have no idea what will work against a bear. But after discussing came up with some baseline other aspects he wants. Not a revolver, no interest in ever owning more than 4 or 5 guns total, and something that he can enjoy shooting at the range every few weekends. So pretty much a full size pistol with a good clip capacity, and probably .40 or .45? Are 357 semi's good?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
He's got bear mace and is worried about the occasional grisly he's spotted in the Montana wilderness. Yes I realize that small arms in general aren't great for bears but its something. Whole clip of +P .45 seems like it would do enough damage so you can flee. I'm no bear expert, but are their hides and fat thick enough that hollow point rounds would actually hurt them less?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Smiling Jack posted:

Shooting a pistol at a grizzly bear is kinda ineffective

stick with the bear mace or get a giant fuckoff longarm

He's carried the bear mace forever, he just wants a gun as backup, and a gun especially thats useful for most smaller less deadly wildlife and range days.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The other thing I'm curious about, ballisticly or practicly, is how the marginal additional penetration of 357 or 44 is more effective than having double the number of rounds of 45 or 10mm and a quicker reload. Even without that extra few cm of penetration you're still going to get massive internal hemoraging and organ failure from even half of your rounds hitting when you dump the mag

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Will trade ammo for hikes and plinking :love:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Ok what's the reason for the pocket sand?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Oh. So it's a sarcastic thing?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
This guy may have just sold me on a service pistol.

https://youtu.be/CzzH_Soh0Uc

Also I may have found The Rats alter-egos YouTube channel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
So shot a Sg P320 today side by side with my shield. Definitely like my shield more. Sig didn't have the precise control the lightweight shield provided and the heftier frame made my hands wobble a slight bit more from the weight. Something I assume I'd adjust too if I shot it regularly. Only went through 200 rounds on the sig