Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

I had to google to see if that was a thing and somehow my picture is in the results

Don't doxx dumb peoplr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Underslung grenade launchers are illegal. Underslung 50 cal harpoons are not!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also, dear Americans, why are there civilians amongst your populace owning and operating Pak38s and Flak 36s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bGczFQIOc

I wonder if you have to pay an NFA tax stamp for each round or if that's only if the round has explosives.

Technically artillery isn't illegal anywhere in the US, even California, but lol trying to get the California DOJ to give you the permit.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

McNally posted:

When America was founded, a private citizen could own their own warships. If anything, we've taken a giant step backwards.

Well I mean if you're rich enough...

I could argue that tech giants like zuck, musk, etc have access to destructive cyber weapons that are far more cost effectiveness than buying a whole warship though. 2017 and all.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Give me an M777 if you're rich tia

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Fun fact: my first proposed college project got shot down because hacking together basic radio communications equipment from scrap is 80% of the way to building remote IED detonators from scrap.

Bad guys always find a way. And after talking in the vennesula thread I might restart that project as an intercollegiate program focusing on shortwave radios (already got a PA-CT-MA route setup!). Because I'm starting to care less if the distinction between civilian and military infrastructure is blurred.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Godholio posted:

^Because it violates federal law to do that.

I thought you could have an FFL in your home state buy it from a dealer where you currently are, sell it to you, then just have you pick it up at the dealer near you?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
When you post in both threads at once its very confusing to my small brain

(It looks awesome, and good job)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

ElMaligno posted:

On the gun nerd scale of GIP, ranging from "Shooting is awesome" to "The Rat" how bad is it that I want to buy a dremel, carve and paint in glorious gold an imperial Aquila on the stock.

You should buy a dremel. What you do with it in your free time is your own business.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm going to laugh when you get kicked off the trap range for trying to break clays with a cylinder choked, heat shielded Mossberg pump. Like, most places won't allow anything with less than a 26" barrel.

Whats even the point of shotguns that big? Sporting? ewww

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
So...

When are we going to make one of those daily tear off calendars but its a wheres waldo for every day of the year?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

There was a Mauser hiding in all that trash? I must have missed it.

Meanwhile in CT:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Gotta buy an AR before prices jump

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

I've been to a place that allows .50s in their 50ft indoor range

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
So out of curiosity, who would be against adding semi automatic rifles to the NFA?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Because it's annoying or because it doesn't go far enough? If you really want one, you can still get one, it just takes $200, paperwork, and waiting.

Litterally planning ahead vs instant gratification for American gun owners.

I bring it up because while I'd be fine with a blanket ban on anything semi automatic made after 1950 (more to see ANY real progress, even though I want them myself) everyone I know resorted to whataboutism and 'don't blame the gun' so I managed to get general agreement that buying magazine fed rifles sameday in walmart is unnecessary.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

chitoryu12 posted:

Semi-automatic rifles like AR-15s and AKs are used in something like 2.5% of gun-related crimes. Congratulations, you've saved a few hundred people a year in the absolute best case scenario.

So an actual number of lives saved?

What are they for if not to kill people

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

chitoryu12 posted:

Hunting, target shooting, and the most reliable option for home defense out of every category of firearm.

You don't need the 'quickly kill a lot of people' part to do any of those.

This is going to break americas brain.

Because I want them for fun, but I understand that I can't buy hand grenades just because they're fun. They're not toys, guns were invented and exist for killing.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yeah I know. I don't want to be disallowed from owning them either, but in the same way I want to buy a javelin but understand why Nobody is allowed to buy a javelin.

I'm writing an effort post over in the gunchat/copchat thread to keep from making GBS threads up too much.

Still got an RPR and a CZ P-10C on my Christmas list for now

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821185&pagenumber=14#post477050040

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Apparently there is a company making M1 Garands in 458 Win-Mag :magical:

I want one. Who is this company.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
What's the placement of the flashlight button on the reverse side?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I didn't even realize it was 22 but looking at the mag closer, yeah, drat.

Does a 22 short function in that, or does it not feed/cycle? (too low gas pressure? Loading geometry?) And even if you have to load it directly how quiet is one?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I've got an old Marlin Model 60 that feeds anything in .22 semiauto

22 Short is great for squirrels, and I want to try this fancy hollowpoint subsonic now.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

ElMaligno posted:

oh hey its that location from 17776

The games been going on for 13000 years....

Also Rat, i'm going to seriously suggest this AGAIN. Make a tear off day calendar of where's waldo photos. Make a print run of 10,000. Sell them for $20 a pop.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
How many people do I need to slaughter to make a statistical meaningful argument that mass ban are worth it? 1000? 5000? 10k?

Because Mass bans aren't worth it

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Godholio posted:

How many CC permit holders do you think commit murder each year? :confused:

Well I was being really sarcastic, but without cheating and looking at any statistics i'm going to guess that of the CC holders in the US, about 80 commit murder each year... and get caught :ninja:

Maybe like 12 of those are murders with firearms and 9 of those handguns

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
That's a dumb idea and physically I have no idea why it would make the rounds any quieter. You need the gas to expand down the barrel and be dampened by baffles at the end, constructing the bullet in an extra 8mm of brass won't do anything for sound.

Unless what the Russians are saying is that it's a heavier round with a subsonic amount of powder behind it? Which still does nothing for the muzzle.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Ok I understand that design now. Still dumb. Yeah that style of pusher system might have a use in an umbrella tip of hidden wrist two shot but why would you go through he effort of making a whole handgun out of it. You're losing he majority of the power such a mechanical advantage could provide quietly by trying to stuff it in a few cm.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

its for putting two in the back of the head of political opponents point blank, not for dropping tangos 100m out.

In that case your either executing them with your gold leafed desert eagle or assassinating them covertly. There is no use case for a lovely gun not covered by simpler weapons. No assassin is going to pull a lovely semi-auto out, because if its worth having a semi-auto its worth having a proper one.

Now building that into a wine bottle cork or under a serving tray, that I'd buy. And building something like that for single use weapons is something that could be done on a hobby sized home lathe.

Love this

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 18, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Paracord everywhere! Somehow considered better than proper grip or metal

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
In follow on news its more and more likely that places like the ATF will be so underfunded that they'll be unable to enforce domestic firearms laws like the NFA for anything short of large scale arms deals.

Smaller government working for you!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

pantslesswithwolves posted:

What’s the consensus on a good folding knife with a blade under 3”? I finally broke the cheapo one I’d been carrying for years and am looking to upgrade.

I’m a huge fan of the Benchmade axis series, which gives you about 300 different ones to choose from. Looks like the 570’s are the most recent version of the line I continue to get. I'm pretty sure the one I carry with me is whatever number a 556 with the D2 blade is. Never had one break. I also have a 551 that has taken beatings for a long time.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 25, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Also having an anodized aluminum body rather than molded plastic.

It really is worth it

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Go with the coated finish option. The black blade is the sexy version. And I find I use the partial serrations on the serrated version on cardboard pretty often.

That’s a 556 with the coated blade/serrated edge like amazon lists it as for an option.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 26, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The nearest range to me is 45 minutes away, so I can completely understand leaving your guns at a range where its legal rather than having them at home in the city where it would be illegal.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
How many guns are you going to use in a home invasion scenario.

Because its always put in terms of guns when you're only going to use the one. Whether that one is a home defense shotgun, your normal every day carry, or your $3500 suppressed SBR. Its always the one.

The other dozen can sit in a safe. Unless you're really going for the "gun concealed in every room" apocalypse prep level

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Spoiler: that’s not that expensive.

Look at what else is owned by this thread

I’ve got $2700 set aside for a Ruger RPR, $800 scope, and reloading gear that is sitting there until I’m confident I won’t need that lump of cash when I’m in California for the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Syrian Lannister posted:

Garand thumb has already moved over to PH

The only gun channel I still follow. He seems the goony type