Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
On the other end of the spectrum, I'm in the process of restoring a P-1837 Brunswick Rifle.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803184

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

Home defense.

A bullet from an AR is less likely to overpenetrate walls than buckshot, believe it or not.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

I actually have a hard time believing that.

The scientific answer is that the faster something's going, the quicker it sheds energy when it hits something else.

The non-scientific answer is that these guys built fake walls with drywall and 2x4s and started shooting them with poo poo to see how many walls they go through.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-14-rifles-shotguns-and-walls/

Now, the 5.56 round admittedly did go all the way through, but it was clearly tumbling and just not having a very good time of it and by the time it came out the far end, it wasn't going fast enough to just punch cleanly through on its way out.

The 12 gauge buckshot, on the other hand, didn't give a poo poo.

Other tests they've done also show that 5.56 starts tumbling after coming out of the first wall and, for the test I linked, they made the wall segments bigger because previously 5.56 was tumbling so badly it deviated from its original trajectory and just zipped off some random direction, missing the other two walls entirely.

They found the same thing on Mythbusters, shooting into water. Slower bullets (pistols and such) went further underwater than rifles and even .50 BMG.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

LingcodKilla posted:

I got my 590a1 all sharp and pokey and ready to rock. I did go through a fair amount of training and enjoy it but yeah it's a heavy beast but I like the idea of having a combination gun, spear and club.

That's why I have my M1861 Sprinfield set up for home defense.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
ARs are overrated and way too common.

What you want is a falling block action breechloader.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

you cant get an ar in md.

When I left you could still get one as long as it had a heavy barrel.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I'm taking a break from regular guns to focus on black powder muzzleloaders

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
The only thing that could make that better is if the Luger were a WWI bringback and had never even been looked at by a Nazi.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Seriously, take that poo poo up with a patient advocate.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Isn't the law one round per trigger squeeze to not be NFA? How does this skirt that?

I'm going to just guess that they managed to get someone to accept the notion that squeeze and release are two separate actions. Just a wild-rear end guess, though.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I built a thing.

Except for the toothpick holding the gas tube in place - mangled the roll pin trying to install it, new pin on order

Quack quack.

I managed to get a new-in-the-wrapper hand guard for only five bucks!

But they only had right side hand guards.

Old school charging handle.

What's a forward assist and why would the bolt carrier be serrated?

Man, it's hard to manually lock the bolt back. Also I was unsuccessful at completely avoiding errant brass mallet marks. The fucker took the tape up as it went and left brass scuffs behind.

Next step: Find where the hell my laser bore sight is and get the sights relatively close to pointing in front of the rifle!

McNally fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 11, 2017

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Naked Bear posted:

That is a kickin' rad rifle and I like it.

Weird bolt catch, though.

Yeah, apparently they didn't think that having it stick out so you could actually push on it was a good idea until, like, the third revision of the M16.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

S&W offers its discount to disabled vets, AD, guard/reserve, and retirees.

Is there a percentage minimum for disabled vets? I think most of us rate at least 0% and that still somehow qualifies.

Edit: I looked up the discount and while it's open to disabled vets, AD, guard/reserve, and retirees, in order to get the discount you have to provide an LES or a copy of your orders.

Which a disabled vet ain't gonna have, lol. Well done S&W.

McNally fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 12, 2017

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

You can probably get by with a VA document. Or find one of their dealers who knows what's up.

It's a mail-in rebate.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

The Rat posted:

Yeah nah, you don't have to show up with a slick spandex jersey covered with sponsors and top of the line gear. Just show up, be safe and have fun!

Are beginners allowed to use pocket sand or is it an advanced maneuver?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Hey, I don't know how interested you guys are in this stuff, but I've got a write-up on Civil War rifles over at TFR.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also, dear Americans, why are there civilians amongst your populace owning and operating Pak38s and Flak 36s?

When America was founded, a private citizen could own their own warships. If anything, we've taken a giant step backwards.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

The Rat posted:

:unsmigghh:

I got a freebie for doing a thread for TFR education week and wanted a change. Couldn't think of anything else to go with, soooo

Yeah, but that pony avatar was fuckin' classic.

I didn't get an avatar change for doing a thread 'cause I don't fuckin' know what to get. That and I earned this title, thanks.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Well that just made my powerball list.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
If I could do it non-destructively, I'd put a replica of Woody Guthrie's "this machine kills fascists" decal on my Garand.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
So I've taken stock of my current collection of rifles and I've realized I'm pretty far along on my goal of owning an example of every standard issue rifle of the United States Army, 1776 to Present. I'm sure at some point this collection will expand from "example of" to "every model" (the Model 1812 musket is different, but functionally identical to, the Model 1816 musket, for example).

So here's the list, with notations showing what I own, as it currently exists:

Flintlock muskets, 1776-1795: British Brown Bess or French Charleville musket
Domestically produced flintlock muskets, 1795-1842: Model 1795, 1812, 1816, 1822, 1835, or 1840 musket
Caplock muskets, 1842-1865: Model 1842
Caplock rifle-muskets, 1855-1873: Model 1855, British Pattern 1853**, 1861***, Colt Special 1861, 1863
Breech-loading black powder rifles, 1873-1892: Model 1873, 1880, 1884 "Trapdoor Springfields"
Norwegian designed bolt action rifles, 1892-1903: Model 1892, 1896, 1898 Krag–Jørgensen* rifles
Bolt action rifles, 1903-1936: Model 1903*, Model 1917
Rifles that go ping, 1936-1959: M1 Garand*
Rifles that were mistakes, 1959-present: M14^
Fifty year failures, 1964-present: M16^, M4^

*I own one
**I own a modern reproduction of one
***I own an original and a modern reproduction
^I'm unlikely going to be able to own a no-poo poo M14, M16 or M4 due to the National Firearms Act, but I do have semi-automatic civilian versions

This collection is coming along nicely, I think.

McNally fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 11, 2017

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

not caring here posted:

Pic of the pile o' guns please.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

BigDave posted:

Ooh, is that the original M16, with the 20-round mag and birdcage flash suppressor? :allears:

Strictly speaking it's a Colt 602, which pre-dated the M16 by about two years.

20 round mag. No forward assist. Three-prong duckbill flash hider.

Going retroer would have required green furniture and I thought it looked ugly.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Capn Beeb posted:

Apparently you give black powder guns big rear end baths with solvents that get all the crap out but yeah no poo poo, that mess is why I haven't gotten into it and I'm a huge dumb idiot for cowboy guns.

Cleaning a black powder gun isn't that bad.

Though I'd imagine cleaning a black powder suppressor would make getting a large ultrasonic cleaner or something an attractive idea.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

Raises uncultured paw.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
You can just say you have no game.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
When I built my M4gery, there was a dude on eBay that was selling stuff that I'm pretty sure had fallen off the back of the LMTV. It's where I got the KAC RIS for it. The account no longer exists, unfortunately.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

The Pile of American Military History, 1795 to Present

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

BigDave posted:

:magical: It's beautiful.

Does the 1903 have the original stock?

It's an 03A3, so... yes, but not in the way you're thinking.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

people that modernize wood rifles with black bullshit should be hanged

You say that, but I have a broken 1853 Enfield stock that I'm thinking about putting an underfolder on as a joke.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I want to get a duplicate of Woody Guthrie's "this machine kills fascists" sticker and put it on a Garand stock.

Anyway, in gun news, I ordered a binary trigger to put into my M&P 15-22.

Turn my cheap pew pew gun into my cheap pewpewpew gun.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I bought an old Colt.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Check out the prototype cap gun I got!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Are you guys interested in old guns at all? I have a collection of muskets going back to pre-War of 1812 I'd be happy to share if anyone want me to.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
All images can be embiggened by clicking on them.

Charleville Pattern Musket

Colloquially known as the Model 1795 musket, this is the first model longarm made for the United States by the United States in the United States. It is, as the name suggests, a copy of the French Charleville musket that was provided to us in large numbers by France during the Revolution. The 1795 was manufactured from 1795 to 1812 (plus or minus a couple years, change comes slowly) before being replaced by the Model 1812.

The 1795 featured a smoothbore 44 and a half inch barrel and had an overall length of five goddamned feet. It fired a .69 caliber roundball propelled by a charge of black powder ignited by a piece of rock hitting a chunk of iron. The United States would use .69 caliber roundball projectiles fired from smoothbore barrels propelled by black powder ignited by a piece of rock hitting a chunk of iron until the adoption of the Model 1842. The Model 1842 fired a .69 caliber roundball propelled by a charge of black powder ignited by a percussion cap. Like a civilized person would make. In 1812 the length of the barrel was reduced to 42 inches and would remain at 42 inches until the adoption of the rifled musket in 1855. Rifling provided for accuracy and did not require the long barrels found on smoothbore muskets. So they reduced the length of the barrel. To a mere 40 inches.

This musket was made at the United States Armory and Arsenal at Harpers Ferry, Virginia (now West Virginia) in 1808. The site was selected by none other than George Washington in 1794 after Congress authorized the construction of a second national armory (the first being in Springfield, Massachusetts). Harpers Ferry produced arms for the United States until 1861 when the equipment was captured by Confederate forces and moved to Richmond. By war's end, the facilities of the armory were reduced to rubble as the town changed hands 11 times during the war. The US government decided that the cost to rebuild was too great and instead opted to focus on establishing further west.

Both Springfield and Harpers Ferry marked the barrels of all their muskets with the letters V (for verified) and P (for proofed) along with an eagle head and US (to denote government property). Harpers Ferry differed from Springfield in that their P and eagle head were combined on one stamp. Harpers Ferry muskets also differed in that their pans (where the priming charge for the flint was placed) was integral to the lock, where the Springfield pan was detachable. Parts from a Harpers Ferry musket would not interchange with parts from a Springfield musket. On the other hand, parts from a Springfield Musket would not interchange with parts from another Springfield musket, either. Interchangeable parts did not really become a thing until the adoption of the Model 1842. Machine tooling became more and more prevalent as time went on, but the Model 1795s were very much largely handmade guns.

One of the design changes that was made pretty much as soon as possible was the placement of the barrel band springs. With them behind the barrel bands, as above, a peg-and-hole arrangement was needed for the springs to actually hold the bands in place. If they're in front, then all you need is for the spring to, y'know, be there. Also, look how flimsy that sling swivel is.

The front band, however, didn't have any stock in front of it so it retained the rear band spring until they finally shook off the Charleville design heritage in 1855.

The front band also had a brass front sight. There wasn't a rear sight, however. Who needs it? A musket's accuracy is something like 24 MOA.

1795s were not standardized and they didn't even use the same model of Charleville as a pattern to follow all the time. As a result, the bayonet lugs were sometimes on top, sometimes on bottom.

Lookin' good for a 200 year old musket!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Model 1842 musket

The Model 1842 was significant in a number of ways: It was the first standard issue caplock musket adopted by the United States, it was the first designed with interchangeability of parts being a primary design concern, it was the last .69 caliber musket adopted by the US, and it was the last smoothbore musket adopted by the United States.

This one has definitely seen better days. 1844 was the first year of production of the M1842 at the Springfield Armory, so it's among the oldest. But it also shows signs of being put together with parts from other guns and/or reproduction parts.

There's no way to know if this barrel is original to this musket, as all its markings (VP eagle stamps, manufacture date stamped above the barrel tang) are lost, like tears in rain.

The hammer has apparently had, at some point, a catastrophically off-center strike. Also, there's a brass shim between the cone and bolster. No idea why.

The presence of this inspection cartouche on the stock shows that the stock is original. At some point I should check my reference books to make sure this stamp is appropriate for Springfield in 1844.

I've long questioned the originality of this front barrel band, as most 1842 front sights were brass, but I've recently learned that iron front sights weren't unknown. Again, no rear sight. This is a smoothbore musket, man.

This ramrod, on the other hand, is definitely non-original. The distinctive "trumpet" shape of the rammer is all wrong (not to mention hilariously uneven), the overall length is too short, and the end isn't threaded for cleaning tools. But bless whoever made this for trying to get the trumpet shape.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Better watch out for McNally, he's forming a well-armed militia

And I'm gonna feed them prunes so they're well-regulated.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

How is that Gamo whisper not considered a silencer

Because an air rifle isn't a firearm.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Goddamned, the .75 caliber monstrosity that the Brown Bess musket isn't even 700 grains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Flikken posted:

Didn't someone make a wooden lower that worked?

Until it broke, yeah.