Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

my kinda ape posted:

It's a state owned range so I'm not particularly hopeful about them being flexible but the people I talked to there did seem very chill so we'll see I guess!

There's not actually any reason that bimetal bullets would be worse for backstops than regular copper fmj right? Like the mild steel jacket isn't going to help it pierce more than copper and the magnet test is just to find steel cored bullets that might actually gently caress up the backstop?

They're bad on indoor ranges because they can actually spark and cause fires pretty easily. Outdoors it doesn't really matter, but on steel it's to keep people from going out with m855 and putting big dings in expensive plates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

chitoryu12 posted:

What makes a $400 or less AR insufficient for home defense?

Money = quality = reliability, most of the time anyway. PSA isn't too bad, they're middle-to-low end these days. They used to be solidly in the middle, but are still a great choice, especially their deal pricing. Just make sure you actually test it out and put some rounds through it.

I'd get an Aimpoint PRO or a Holosun whatever, or even a Primary Arms micro dot, slap that on there, and then test it and make sure the thing isn't defective. Any of those in good working order is fine for the average dude to do anything with, and beat the hell out of iron sights in all conditions. A light is a must if you're gonna try and use it in self defense or in your dark goon basement or whatever like me.

With that said, I have a G19 with a light on it, and I'd pass up my ARs or other long guns for that in my house every time because I can open a door and keep good positive control over it, unlike my ARs :shrug: in TFR these days you'd get called dead in the hallway for that choice. most of the time the only thing loaded and accessible is what I've been carrying when I rarely carry anymore and that's probably a .357 mag LCR so I'm totally gonna die I guess

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
My feet are pretty well hosed. I'm like a 6.5 in length and super wide at my toes and forefoot. I got issued 6.5W boots that wrecked my feet, my SDS gave me a pair of 8R that he was issued, and I wore those until there was time to get mine switched out. Ended up in a 7.5W that was better but still too narrow; issued Bellevilles simply don't fit me. Ended up pulping my pinky toes to the point I needed antibiotics and all the blood blisters cut off at the troop clinic. Then my antibiotics were confiscated and locked up in the CQ office and the key was lost; I never took a single one. Thanks army.

Nowadays on the occasional weekend I wear a Tactical Research transition boot that's super light in an 8W. They fit kinda like tennis shoes, the extra size gives me enough width and the length isn't really a problem because of how snug they are with a good insole added to them.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

LingcodKilla posted:

You got tiny feet.

They're proportional, I'm only 5'6".

One of my best friends is a 5'4" asian dude that wears a size 3, his boots looked like they were for a doll or something.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Kaliber posted:

I'm about to adopt my 3 nephews and have been stocking up on 22LR and 22 guns to teach them how to shoot. Just placed an order for a Henry Evil Roy. Please validate this purchase and tell me a lever action isn't dumb to teach boys under the age of 10.

The Evil Roy is full-stocked so it won't be ideal for kids. I have their youth model because I like tiny handy guns and it's pretty good. Personally I prefer something with a manual safety I can easily flip on and off when teaching someone new. Gives more control so we can stop, put it on safe, discuss something, then flip it back off and repeat. The hammer will give you that but you'll have to be more careful. Always start on a bench rested and it'll be easy to teach em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
How do those boots run as far as width? I am a hobbit and need 7.5 ultrawides (like eee preferred).