Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Just pulled the trigger (heh) and bought my first big boy rifle off gunbroker. A PTR-91 GIR.

Guess I should probably find an FFL sometime today??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Bolow posted:

Yeah but Heavy Barrel increases side to side recoil

http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/Heavy_Barrel

Cost aside, are there any real life disadvantages to a heavier barrel other than the obvious increase in weight (and changes to the balance of the gun)?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
What's a good optic for a PTR 91? I've always thought eotech stuff was cool but I looked at the prices and gently caress that.

$300 (or less preferably!) is about as high as I'd like to go unless it's absolutely worth spending more.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

FastestGunAlive posted:

What are you looking for in an optic? Trying to push the range? Mid-range? Up close? I dunno because I don't have an optic for mine, but what you're looking for willc hange the advice given

Mid-to close range I'd say. Probably closer to mid.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

The Rat posted:

In that price range, for that kind of gun, I'd go with a Vortex Strike Eagle myself.

1-6x scope, $329 iirc.

Ordered one of these from Brownells last night with a cantilever mount included for $330 total, and free shipping. Pretty sweet deal.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

The Rat posted:

Let us know how you like it once you get it!

It seems pretty sweet! Haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet, or without it for that matter.

I've never mounted a scope before, does this look about right or should it be farther forward? Still roomy enough to not interfere with the charging handle but if it has to go more than about one notch forward it might get a little cramped.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Force de Fappe posted:

You wanna build up the comb on the buttstock on that rifle when you're using it with a scope. You can make one from Kydex but there's stuff you can buy too.

I actually have a cheek piece arriving today!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Got the muzzle brake and wide handguard installed yesterday. Took it out and put 40 rounds through it. Tons of fun to shoot! I like the vortex strike eagle a lot, thanks for the recommendation guys.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Capn Beeb posted:

Their prices are some "fell off the truck" levels of cheap, it's great.

Welp, just bought 500 rounds of .308 for 32 cents a round.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Drav posted:

Wtf that's ridiculous :captainpop:

$185.20 with shipping+insurance which is 37 cents per round, still really cheap.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

my kinda ape posted:

Welp, just bought 500 rounds of .308 for 32 cents a round.

And it arrived this.morning! Well packaged and intact via UPS.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

make sure your gat will play nice with steel cased ammo

It's a PRT-91 GI so allegedly it can fire almost anything vaguely 308 win shaped.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i still wanna get me a cetme with nice wood furniture

The G3 wood furniture is absolutely beautiful but the supply of hand guards is apparently totally dried up so they're super expensive if you can even find one :(

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

FastestGunAlive posted:

I always buy whatever is cheapest off gunbot and I've never had an issue with mine. Still quite accurate as well. I'm gonna be stealing your scope soon. I'm on the prowl for decently priced green furniture but I doubt that will ever happen

OD green is really cheap from RobertRTG I think, not sure about tropical. The wide handguard is harder to find but Numrich arms has them in stock for $80. Brownells has them too I think.

edit: Full OD green furniture set for $13 http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/G3-GERMAN-OD-GREEN-SURPLUS-STOCK-SET-25p2135.htm

OD green wide style handguard for $80 https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/985470.htm

Also I just realized the indoor range near my house doesn't allow ammo that attracts a magnet...like the 500 rounds I just bought :negative:

Maybe I can convince them it's ok since it's not actually steel cored?

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 25, 2017

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

If they're not dicks, just pulling the bullet out of the round should be good.

It's a state owned range so I'm not particularly hopeful about them being flexible but the people I talked to there did seem very chill so we'll see I guess!

There's not actually any reason that bimetal bullets would be worse for backstops than regular copper fmj right? Like the mild steel jacket isn't going to help it pierce more than copper and the magnet test is just to find steel cored bullets that might actually gently caress up the backstop?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
If he gets pinned underneath a boulder he can just shoot his leg off.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

madeintaipei posted:

I seem to remember a Russian speaking goon translating a Soviet analysis on bear attacks in which a firearm was used (successfully or not). I think it was broken down by caliber of weapon used (a fairly useful metric in the USSR), how many rounds expended, and if the defense was "successful". The most used round, with the most rounds fired, was the 7.62x38Rmm Nagant cartridge. The M1895 revolver was by far the most common gun chambered in 7.62x38Rmm, with the military loading around as powerful as .32 H&R Magnum. I'm thinking of an old joke, "What did the Australian triple amputee have to say about great white sharks?" "Go for the eyes, mate, go for the eyes!"

You can use a .22 if you just hit the bear in the eyes :clint:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Dead Reckoning posted:

The absolute best was that one of the data points was a bear shot with 35 rounds of 7.62×25mm Tokarev. 35 is the exact number of rounds in a PPSh stick mag, and there aren't a lot of other firearms in that caliber. Someone was rolling around Siberia with a WWII SMG as an anti-bear weapon and mag dumped into a bear until it went click.

Was it a success?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
You should watch King of the Hill, it's a masterpiece of American television.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
If that thing doesn't shoot out like a loving harpoon I'm going to be pissed.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

suboptimal posted:

Did anyone ever figure out why Dugan Ashley was posting all kinds of weird conspiracy poo poo on his Instagram account? Dude seemed like he was a nudge away from going sovereign citizen at times.

Maybe he stopped because he went crazy :tinfoil:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I thought he got diagnosed with MS?

Both can be true!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I wonder what marmot tastes like...

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

not caring here posted:

Okay, so for some reason lately people have been packing some serious fuckin' artillery at the local indoor gun range and I'm looking for better hearing protection.

I've got these : https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leigh...07072767&sr=8-1

And they are pretty aces until people start pounding out .308 at a 25 metre indoor range. I like the whole electronic thing so you can hear people talking, and being able to fit both a very large and small head would be a plus (as I'd probably also get a set for my wife).

Any suggestions?

I shoot .308 at the indoor 25 yard range and Howard Leight Impact Pros work great :v:

They're bulkier than the sports but they also have the electronic passthrough and give pretty much the best protection I've seen from headphones. You could always wear earplugs under your headphones too.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

It's like 5 blocks from my apartment ok?? I have to drive an hour and a half to my parents' place if I want to shoot outdoors. Also I got a year long pass for $100.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Here's the noise reduction specs of the Impact Pros vs the Sordin Supreme Pros. I think rifles peak at ~1500hz?

I'm a huge loving baby about loud noises hurting my ears and the Impact Pros seem perfectly adequate without doubling up even indoors. Although I suppose it's possible I'm somehow not noticing it not being enough. I've never had ringing in my ears or anything after shooting.

The downside is they're relatively huge compared to most earmuffs.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Pesticide20 posted:

Ban pistols instead

I've always said anybody who actually gave a poo poo about saving lives would go after pistols instead of assault weapons.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Terrible Robot posted:

When I lived in the country one of my favorite things to do was to get high as balls and go sit on my porch with the Howard-Leights cranked up. It was like being One with nature.

Yeah mine cuts out during loud noises as advertised but with the volume at maximum you get super hearing when there's nothing loud enough to make it shut off.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Capn Beeb posted:

I think the carrot cake is the most :barf: thing there

Who the hell doesn't like carrot cake?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I got a cool thing that no one else has so I'm going to crosspost it here!

my kinda ape posted:

A mysterious box from the Orient Siberia*!

An OKP-77W!

Green!

But also red!

Difficult photography!

PTR-91 GIR!

As far as I am aware I am the only person in the US with the Picatinny rail version of this sight, and there are probably only a few dozen with the AK and SVD mount versions.
In fact mine is even different from the couple of pictures of Picatinny versions I've been able to find on Russian forums.

I had a hell of a time adjusting it at first because I've never used a red dot before and the R arrow on the horizontal adjustment seems to move the reticle left instead of right which took me far longer to realize than I would like to admit :v:

*Yekaterinburg

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKXCu5oXgFY

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
https://twitter.com/theindigi/status/930142132735762437

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I went to a gunshow once and a dude was selling a gun that happened to be loaded and someone blew their finger off.

lmao

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

McNally posted:

The Pile of American Military History, 1795 to Present

It's beautiful :911:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Naked Bear posted:

I'm all for poking more holes in stupid laws that should never have been passed in the first place.

You'll be sorry in 2024 when President Feinstein signs the National Firearms Act v2 that was pushed through congress because the old laws were being flagrantly bypassed! The law will restrict firearms more severely based on how fun or interesting they are.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

rich people guns are weird

I want to liberate that from a mansion.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Naked Bear posted:

Dorks, yes, but their channels are easily among the best firearms-related Youtube channels. They seem pretty self-aware.

Forgotten Weapons is one of the best channels on YouTube period IMO. No obnoxious poo poo and good presentation.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Godholio posted:

I mean because they're openly tying it to a bill.

Laws don't have any effect until they...come into effect.

Saying you're going to make X illegal on May 1st doesn't mean it's illegal to have/do X until the law passes AND comes into effect.

If you know something is going to be illegal to posses in two weeks and you buy/obtain a bunch of them then you might be retarded but it's not an illegal act at that time.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Godholio posted:

That's not what I'm saying.

They're openly giving gifts to influence votes.

Ah my bad I didn't read the article and figured a local company had just decided to give them away as a "gently caress you" since they wouldn't be able to sell them anymore. (and after reading, that's really what it is minus the local part.)

The legislature is the one doing the voting and they've already passed the bill so it's basically just a marketing stunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Dead Reckoning posted:

Bandit and Bogey.

This one's pretty good tbh