Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Imagine living in a state that requires a written and practical examination to get a driving license but the state next door just blanket gives everyone that pays :10bux:x5 a license and those people are allowed to drive in your state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

I wonder what the legality of a silent sealed cartridge would be under the NFA. It's a neat idea from a technical standpoint for sure though.

TFR has talked about this and the consensus is that its illegal.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Ok I understand that design now. Still dumb. Yeah that style of pusher system might have a use in an umbrella tip of hidden wrist two shot but why would you go through he effort of making a whole handgun out of it. You're losing he majority of the power such a mechanical advantage could provide quietly by trying to stuff it in a few cm.

its for putting two in the back of the head of political opponents point blank, not for dropping tangos 100m out.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

buy god drat good insoles

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

how many skull tats does your friend have

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

is the 92 that bad or is it just the fact that all the military ones are all beat to poo poo and 15 years old

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

how accurate is that ak?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The Rat posted:

It's an AK, so. . . not especially. 4" groups at 100m is about the best I can hope for. Still need to get out and rezero it since it has a new handguard/brake.

My silly nostalgia M4 should be completed next week too.

how much can you sperg out on an AK in regards to free float barrels etc

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

oh my god im imagining a private trying to clean his rifle

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Deathy McDeath posted:

Me, a person with a government job who’s good at financial management: “well, I’m staring down a potential Gov shutdown. What’s the best course of action here?

Buy a suppressor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

anyone have a suggestion on how to carry a pistol while hiking? I have a sig 226 for reference. Initial thoughts are a fanny pack in normal colors (IE not black/multicam with molle straps)

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

that thing looks kinda big, how does it interact with a main pack?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Well, I'm also the idiot still using the alice ruck, so let's not act like I have any sense.

the usmc actually went back to something similar to the alice with polymer external frame and larger pack. Polymer frame + older smaller ruck is pretty dope.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 25, 2018

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Looks like it goes flat against the back as opposed to the alice frame, which juts it 4 inches out from the back.

I just like the old rucks more. I'm not spending hundreds to save ounces, I just don't need poo poo breaking when I slip, fall, bounce and slam off poo poo.

the frame is probably cheap on ebay from some marine thief

PookBear fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 25, 2018

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

people that modernize wood rifles with black bullshit should be hanged

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I saw the bakelite colored magpul ak furniture someone on SA did and kinda want to see the same thing done to an ar 15, bonus points if the gun itself is gunmetal grey instead of black anodized

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

ar pistols are the dumbest work around the spirit of the law and I hope the ATF grows a pair and sends people to jail

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

yes

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

that guy sounds like a goon defending his dumb toy lol

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The Rat posted:

All parts ordered for my ridiculous 14.5" 308 AR build other than the optic/optic mount/flashlight mount :suicide:

Still haven't even decided what color to make it.

retro gunmetal grey, bakelite orange furniture

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

oh my god evidently the french made a stg44 variant in 30 carbine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEAM_Mod%C3%A8le_1950

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

not caring here posted:

Well, err, air rifles have sure gotten different since I was a kid.

.45 caliber rounds doing 850 fps, holy moly.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Hatsan_Hercules_QE_Air_Rifle/4160/7950

jesus thats the fps of a 1911 i think

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Is there a good website for finding maps for hiking in a national forest?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Look up the particular forest? The Seminole State Forest nearby has its own map that they publish on their website.

Yeah I am but the website is kinda poo poo

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

not caring here posted:

I'm tempted to print one of those out, but then I'm wondering what the point is because after a quick look I don't trust them in the slightest.

upload this gun

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://palladiumboots.com/products/02352-344-m

these are old school french combat boots and they're half off at 35 bucks. I have a pair and its my daily wear with jeans shoe.

I dunno seems like this crowd would like them

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Does anyone have a GPS suggestion? I don't need to pay extra for one with a digital map installed or anything

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

yeah just a basic handheld gps to give a grid coordinate

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i have super long fingers that make shooting anything smaller than a sig 226 annoying because they just do laps around small grips

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

not caring here posted:

You could try a kriss vector to use Glock mags.

Gotta admit those kriss's in 10mm carbine really interest me.

can you get a mp5 in 10mm because that would be an amazing silenced carbine platform

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

what if they made mp5 that took Glock mags

that would be a crime because gun design peaked at straight stick mag mp5s

glock mag mp5 would be a perversion as the mag would be angled wrong

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

just lol if you don't do 3 gun doomguy style with sxs break open

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

are any chud places selling nike combat boots for cheap?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i was born in 1988 so my email address is firstnamelastname88 at geemail

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I bought new hiking boots + insoles Thursday and hiking feels so good now. Hiking through the dunes national park is really sandy and it was making my collapsing arches really bad and I was basically duck walking.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

McNally posted:

But only if you have small feet. Biggest size they have in stock is 9

https://palladiumboots.com/collections/mens/size_mens_13+canvas?sort_by=manual

sort by size and material though these aren't on sale

the ones I linked were one off runs I think. I got a baggy pair last year that were plaid on the inside for when you roll them down

PookBear fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 25, 2018

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

can we rename the thread to be more about outdoors, hiking, hunting, and guns etc?

Also I'm looking for a good jacket for hiking/outdoors. I have waterproof stuff but I want something I can wear to shove my way through brush when fly fishing

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

rifles posted:

How do those boots run as far as width? I am a hobbit and need 7.5 ultrawides (like eee preferred).

they're made of canvas so if you get a stiff insole you can kinda stomp it down in there and make them wider. they're not like leather boots that pinch your feet so you have a bit a give.

but i mean if you have weirdo feet thats not gonna help

PookBear fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 17, 2018

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I saw Free Solo last night. Beautifully shot documentary and Jimmy Chin’s camerawork is out of this world. Honnold definitely comes across as someone who’s a bit odd, but you can’t help but like the guy. There are some unbelievably tense moments even though you go into the film knowing the outcome.

Free solo rock climbing has about as much appeal to me as free diving- yeah, you may be at the top .01% of all humans, but make one little fuckup and you’re dead. I like my outdoor activities to have a slightly larger safety buffer.

friend of a friend used to solo climb and after spending a month in a coma can barely walk and has to cane for the rest of his life. Its not really the dying that scares me its the barely living through it part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

That’s about the only way I could hunt anything. I like the skill, bushcraft and marksmanship involved in it, but don’t actually want to hurt or kill an animal. Nerf hunting sounds like a great way around that.

Getting what you kill out of the bush is a huge pain and requires a mule ATV etc. Hiking in and taking photos is far more low key and you can do it outside of hunting season to avoid dealing with hunters.

I legit want to try and stalk elk and try and take photos of them