Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I've been looking at options for MA. Looks like the Mini 14 and M1A are good options, PS90, CZ805 and Tavor seem to be allowed too because of their unique operating mechanisms
Mini 14 and M1A are especially nice because there are so many pre-ban magazines available, and in the case of the Mini, there aren't date codes to distinguish pre- and post-ban ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Can the bunch of you guys who own plate carriers post photos of yourselves wearing them over your blazers? preferably wearing raybans with hands in pockets if you can. thanks in advance

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Glacier is amazing, I took this when I was driving up Go-To-The-Sun road in the morning for a pre-dawn hike, currently serves as my desktop wallpaper

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Went backpacking in Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park earlier this month. Here are some photos from the front country.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Flying_Crab posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced hard shell jacket? My 10 year old cheapo North Face HyVent shell is disintegrating into flakes of whatever the membrane material is made of. I’ve decided to stop being fat in the winter and do winter bike commuting/rides (i.e. 5-20 miles) so I’ll need something to replace that.

I was looking at this https://www.backcountry.com/outdoor-research-interstellar-jacket-mens which seems to get great reviews and I can order it for roughly half price (FYI, mil/vets can get a poo poo ton of outdoor pro deals from ExpertVoice).

Most Goretex and rainshells can have their DWR layer wet out and become very unbreathable. There are new hydrophobic fabrics that omit the DWR layer so they never wet out. You should take a look at the Outdry or Gore Shakedry lines. Outdry is much less expensive than the Goretex right now. Yeah it's Columbia but it's from their highest-end line and I find that it actually works.

https://www.backcountry.com/Store/catalog/search.jsp?q=outdry&p=category%3A1.bcs.Men%27s%5C+Clothing&nf=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Always carry drops/tablets as a backup, but I have a Sawyer filter and it works decently for quick and tasty water. It does get slow after a few uses in the backcountry so if you take it be sure to also bring the syringe and know how to use it.