Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Dang. That's gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

That's an awesome catch.

but the slenderman vibrating in and out of phase on the right side of the hill is freaking me out.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Yayyyy!:dance:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Frost flowers are nature's condolence prize for the return of cold weather.

They will only appear on the first couple hard freezes of the season.

Only certain plants will do it, but when the air is below freezing and below ground is still above freezing, the sap in the plant's stem will freeze, expand, and split through the sides of the stem.

Then it will draw more sap up through the plant by capillary action, to also freeze and push the previously frozen sap further away from the plant.

To see them, you have to get up with the sun on the first cold (upper 20s/-3C) morning of the year and start looking.

They're incredibly ephemeral. Once the sun comes up, they start sublimating - the ice goes right to water vapor, and over the next 1-2 hours, they just disappear.

Until next year.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

The Aardvark posted:

Did my annual overnight to Villager Peak this weekend.

Daaang. Those are gorgeous.