Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

The Rat posted:

Truth. Thank goodness for the REI returns and exchange policy.

Merrells are awesome in general. Once I'm through this pair of Salomons, I'm getting a pair of Merrell bare access #whatever. Narrow rear end Salomons, never again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

not caring here posted:

Salomons are heavenly if you've got high-ish arches for the exact same reason.

Yeah, if you have high arches or narrow feet, I imagine they're great. I'm a touch wider than standard D width. The upper is gonna well outlast the soles. If they were a little wider and the treadlife was more along the lines of Merrells, I'd be a lifelong customer.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If you have a Good Feet Store (chain name) nearby, go there. Lots of people swear by them.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah. That's something alright.

Not something I'd spend money on. The zombie trend poo poo can die a decade ago. Any day now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

how many tribal skull tats does your friend have

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

DoktorLoken posted:

What about the 5.11 pants and moto shirts?

Don't doxx my work clothes, man.

poo poo's nice when it's at cost.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Can you throw that in a locker and carry your own instead?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

:smugdon:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The irony would be lost on the gunsmith.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lubricate with diet coke, polish with a greasy McDonald's wrapper, and feed it the cheapest poo poo ammo walmart sells, bought with a cash advance from a credit card.

Apparently the gunsmith is Jesse James. Running like poo poo is a built-in feature.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 20, 2018

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Drop leg?

I have one for my revolver. Black with six little extra bullet loops. Good old cheap nylon.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh, I gather that. Ah, disc and nerve damage. Luckily, my bad leg is the right leg. Also, I'm left-handed, so the holster rides on the left anyhow.

How about attaching a holster to your pack strap?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I can see how that'd help with weight displacement too.

I remember the late 80s, early 90s all too well. Fanny packs are simply not an option. Unless you're german.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, that's a bit overkill for an afternoon in Florida, but to each the load they want to carry.

It's been a while since I've done any appreciable hiking, but I still have an acu alice pack. It's as ugly as a baboons' rear end but I still love it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Smiling Jack posted:

drop leg holsters suck

Well, I'm also the idiot still using the alice ruck, so let's not act like I have any sense.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Looks like it goes flat against the back as opposed to the alice frame, which juts it 4 inches out from the back.

I just like the old rucks more. I'm not spending hundreds to save ounces, I just don't need poo poo breaking when I slip, fall, bounce and slam off poo poo.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I like Coast knives but might be the only one in that boat.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
https://www.amazon.com/Coast-RX321-Response-Blade-Assist-3-9-Inch/dp/B007HAAG0K

That's what I have. Amazon stopped carrying it though.

It's a decent knife, but I got it at cost.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Not a goddamn thing unless it went from being made in China to made in the states, Germany, Japan, or anywhere else with a reputation for decent blades.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Internet Wizard posted:

The counterargument is that you wouldn't need to buy a lifetime supply of cheap knives if you bought a single decent knife.

The army gave me a gerber applegate-fairbairn in 2005. It's still kicking around in my apartment somewhere. Dull as hell now, but sharpens up nicely.

So your point is valid.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
A nerf N-strike.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Professor Bling posted:

Note that Cook County banned the Steyr AUG by name twice.

Someone took the attack on Nakatomi tower seriously, maybe?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Terrible Robot posted:

CZ-75s and their clones are great looking and shooting pistols. I love my stupid .45 Jericho.

That's a baby deagle.

Wait, how many loving models is that sold as?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's actually one of the pistols I've been wanting to shoot. That and one of those Steyr L-series spaceguns.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Anyone handle Steyrs' pistols? Opinions?

New generation is out and the previous is floating around $500. Looking at the L40-A1. Thinking about trading off my brazilian .357 before something else breaks on it. Need to burn through the box of rounds I have left first though.

Love the space gun look way too much.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm probably going to go look around this week and see if a shop in town has one. Buds has them around $480, might just find an ffl to receive it. I'd love to rent one for an hour but it's definitely not common enough to be a range rental.

Everything I've read about them has been positive. It's nice to see the price slide a bit too.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

DoktorLoken posted:

Probably a cool gun but why not an S&W M&P or Glock so you can actually buy magazines and holsters?

Professor Bling posted:

I've got the M357 and they're a fantastic striker pistol. The grip works a lot better for me that a Glock's does and those sights are awesome; the trigger is great as well. Haven't handled the L models but I'd assume they're pretty much identical.

Pretty much because of reviews like this. Seriously. I've yet to read a review that doesn't praise them. Holsters are available and I don't really need more than a handful of magazines. If I want to get fancy with a holster, I'll ask someone in the leather shop at work to make me one on the side.

I'm aware glocks are equally reliable, cheaper, durable, etc. I just want something a bit different. I'm not a fan of the M&P pistols. I'll get a S&W revolver, but they make some ugly rear end pistols imo.

I was hoping they'd put out a .45 with this recent generation, but it looks like it's all 9mm and .40 for now. That 357sig version is probably a fair bit more scarce. L models have 4.5" barrels, so longer frame and slide, but the same otherwise.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Internet Wizard posted:

What if it’s grey

Eh, it's still mass produced and used in various conflicts, do what you want.

When is the last time the US issued the m1 carbine? Korea? Maybe early in Vietnam?

There's loving with one of the most prevalent rifles in the world, then there's loving with history. Don't gently caress up history.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Modernized just means bubba'd to me.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

The Rat posted:

The future is now, old man

Embrace it, cause chicks dig it

AKs are still a mass market and current weapon. Do as you please to it. Use scrap 2x4s to make a stock or spend top dollar. Whatever.

It's kinda like that thompson most everyone went "wtf" about a few weeks ago.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
At the end of the day, I don't much care what people do to their guns. If someone wants to put picatinny rails and a laser on their muzzleloader, so be it. I'm just going to laugh at it. And my opinion shouldn't matter in the equation of how you dress up a gun anyhow.

Maybe I'm the broken one, but modernizing a gun that's effectively a piece of history, is just wrong. New market remake or old stock, it just doesn't feel right.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Found a Steyr at a gunshop today. $400 for a C9-A1. Price is right but the caliber and size are wrong. 1-2 weeks to get an M or L40-A1 in, and I pretty much have to buy it in order to get a feel for it. They were not keen on having them in stock.

So, that said, Bud's has M40-A1s and L40-A1s for right under $500, about $75 cheaper than ordering local. I liked the feel of the C9-A1, but could easily deal with more heft and a slightly wider frame and grip. Probably going with the M40-A1.

How much am I going to hate ordering from Bud's? Anyone have experience dealing with them? I assume it's as easy pay buds, pick an ffl to have it mailed to, do the 4473 there. With a week or two wait from buying to pick up.

This shoots my trading in the .357 plans in the foot though. Not like I'd get much from that Rossi anyhow.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Welp, once the tax return hits I'll call ffls and see who has a low fee. Buds has a list, probably just call a nearby shop and ask.

Then the holster hunt can truly begin.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
.40 ammo is dirt cheap too now. Finding it easily in the .20-.25/rd price range.

We have a mag capacity limit here, the 9mm comes with 17rd mags, we're capped at 15 in Colorado. So those mags (depending on the ffl and how close they follow that law) go right in the trash out of the box. I'd have to wait for 10rd mags to show up. The .40 has 12rd mags, perfect for me. Don't care about two tone options like the M9-A1 has either.

And when I do eventually wander around in the woods, a .40 is a little more friendly than 9mm to pump into whatever doesn't run from my noisy rear end. Not that I wander often anymore, but it's reassuring. The .357mag I have is still fine for this, but it couldn't hurt to carry 24 rounds instead of 12. And not have to fiddle with reloading a revolver.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Godholio posted:

Send those mags to some more fortunately-represented soul in another state.

The FFL that receives the pistol is responsible for plucking out and trashing magazines that are over capacity limits. Wouldn't even see the mags if they're following the law.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The C9-A1 I looked at the other day had both mags, but they were stamped with 15 on the side, and aren't generally marked 17. It also has non-factory 3-dot sights, not the triangular sights.

That shop's one of the biggest in town, outside of poo poo like bass pro. A pawn shop ffl might not care, but this place has a huge draw and advertises a lot. I know someone that works at a pawn shop, but their company's policy is long guns only.

Need to go out and see what Dragonman's got up for offer in his shop.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just don't buy an AWB era mini-14. Ruger was pinching pennies back then.

Sold mine over a decade ago. Don't miss it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ElMaligno posted:

Like I kinda need to somewhat justify the purchase. Like for example say I want to hunt deer, then the Mini 30 would be better, or if I want a plinking or smaller mammal hunting then the mini 14 would be more ideal. Also I'm interested in getting a under/over or a side by side shogun for trap/bird shooting.

Lemme throw a smoker as long as I am making a wishlist.

Do you not have coyotes where you live?

That was my excuse for getting a mini-14 ranch. I was 15, lived on a grain farm, some of our neighbors had livestock, and the county didn't give a poo poo if you shot a thousand of them, just don't do it during deer rut or something to that effect. I had the 5rd factory magazine, a 30rd and a 40rd banana. I never needed more than the 5rd, a pack would scatter too much after the first shot. It was a ban era, new in 1997, bought by my dad through a family friend tabletop ffl.

I also shot raccoons and possum with it, but we were encouraged to shoot coyotes because the population was just crazy enough that the county considered paying a small bounty. I never cared about that, I just didn't want anymore of the family dogs mangled or worse.

It was a pain in the rear end to disassemble properly the first few times, much more annoying than any M16 the army handed me, worse than a SAW too. The quality was fine for the $400 or so at the time. The only time I had an ammo issue was with the ruger branded 40rd magazine, but that was a cold night sitting on top of a grain silo (maybe 25-30 feet up) in the full moon light looking for eyes in the beanfields. I only ever shot some Black Hills branded ammo, bought 1k rounds when I bought the rifle. Sold it with about 200 rounds left for $500 to an army buddy over a decade ago now.

Considering ARs were over $1000 at the time for even a cheap bushmaster, it was a good rifle for the time. Good farm gun. But it never did anything you can't do with a scout style bolt action rifle besides have larger ammo capacity, which I never really needed.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

vains posted:

how does a mini14 cost $1000?

It's bizarro 90s pricing, where ARs and mini-14s swapped places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yes.

You could probably get a decent upper for what a new barrel and having it spaced would cost. Then you'll always have a spare complete upper.