Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

I've never held a Glock that felt comfortable, so they're out right off the bat. I borrowed a Shield a couple of weeks ago...it shot well, but didn't feel especially well put together.

If you're willing to go Spacegun, the Walther PPS Gen1 is a nice little gun and very thin. I haven't messed around with the Gen2 yet.

ded posted:

So whats the best ammo for a home defense shotgun?

#1, 0, or 00 buckshot, in regular or low recoil 2 3/4" shells. Federal is trying to sell a #4 buck load for home defense, but as far as I can tell you'd be field testing it for them.

Alternately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ievbU3xIYGQ

(Click to see an FBI agent shoot flare shells into ballistics gel)

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Syrian Lannister posted:

Someone talk me out of getting a .223 bolt action.

What are you looking to do with it?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Syrian Lannister posted:

In Illinois, so target shooting, something to give to my son in a couple of years .

22lr would probably meet your needs just as well, but yeah, .223 is fine. If you have prior shooting experience, or want to hunt, there are more optimal calibers out there, but they are all more expensive to feed than a .223. Any particular brands that you are looking at?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

Seriously considering having my S&W revolver etched and inlaid by an artist I know who does some pretty neat metal work. It's a blued gun and he's trying to talk me in to doing some silver inlay and getting teak grips that he can do some laser engraving on them as well. He's been researching the old Tiffany custom guns and the late 1800s European firearms engraving and wants to try it out on my cheapo rattlesnake shooter. All it will cost me is the silver used and the price of the grips
I would say you should absolutely do this, but I have a soft spot for barbeque guns.

Pesticide20 posted:

Looking for some pistol recommendations at the moment. I have a Sig P229 chambered for .40 S&W, but I'm thinking of getting something a little larger. Suggestions?
Just for recreational shooting, or is this something you might have to trust your life to?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Pesticide20 posted:

Occasionally plinking, self defense if necessary.
TBH, I've found the guns best for self defense are not the most fun guns to plink with; they tend to be utilitarian plastic bricks that are accurate, have nice but not amazing triggers, and go bang every time.

You already have the P229, which covers the "oh God what if I have to defend myself" niche pretty well. If you're planning to sell it to fund your new purchase, I personally like the Walther PPQ 5", and I've heard good things about the P320 full size.

If you are going to keep it, you may as well get something that is fun to plink with. Depending on your budget, an uncoverted Ruger Single Six is a neat little take on the Cowboy gun. If you're shopping up-market, High Standard automatic target pistols, .32 wadcutter target pistols, and PPC revolvers are all great shooters.

There is also the option of getting a revolver. Smith & Wesson .38 or .357 revolvers are still cheap, or you could get a Ruger GP-100. They have good to excellent triggers, and let you plink with low recoil .38 special wadcutters or shoot full power .38spl +P or .357 mag. They are sub-optimal for self defense compared to a semi auto pistol, but are a drat sight better than nothing, and .357 magnum hasn't gotten any less deadly since 1935.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
IMO, five is the correct number of inches for a .357 revolver.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

You son of a bitch I've been wanting a 5" 27 for ages :argh:

Oh, no worries then, because that's just a pre-27 :q:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Does ruger do this

Not as far as I know, probably because Ruger doesn't chase a lot of Mil or LE contracts.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Smiling Jack posted:

It never went into production but the G11 was the holy poo poo :wtc: of firearms engineering

I've always said, if you're going to buy something that would benefit from lots of little springs, levers, and gears, like a wrist watch, or a handgun, buy it from the Germans. Because there is nothing German engineers love more than lots of little springs, levers, and gears.

Capn Beeb posted:

But boy oh boy when revolvers gently caress up, they're a pain in the rear end to get going again.
They certainly lack the simplicity of a Glock or Makarov, where repair and troubleshooting consists of, "Take apart the gun, determine which of the ten parts is worn or broken, put the gun back together." That said, there are plenty of people out there who can work on Smiths, and I don't think Ruger is going anywhere any time soon. Neither of them should go out of time at enthusiast levels of shooting.

Professor Bling posted:

Part of me really wants a Chiappa Rhino in a 5" barrel for my first revolver purchase, mainly because I'm into super weird engineering (it's the same reason I bought my project car, really. Rotary engines are fascinating, and so are underslung revolvers).
The trigger on the one I tried was somewhere between "poo poo" and "rear end."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Professor Bling posted:

Well, that's a shame. I'll have to see if I can find one to test, then.

The generation 2 allegedly has better triggers, and frankly, if you want to own this masterpiece:

or the drug lord gun from a 90s film set in 2030,

...who am I to get in your way?

Now, on the other hand, the nice thing about collecting firearms is that there are a huge number of designs that tried out absolutely nuts operating principles over the years, so there are lots to pick from if you are a fan of unreasonable engineering choices.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Pesticide20 posted:

That looks like something :siren: anime warning :siren: out of Trigun
That's because it's a poor man's version of the Mateba revolvers, which the people who make animes apparently have a big ol' throbbing hard on for.

(I believe TFR members own something like 1/5 of all the MTR-8s ever imported.)

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 5, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

I'm not that much of a fan of the MTR-8 though. Bit too weird looking for me.
It was allegedly designed on a bet, so I'm not really surprised.

Kazinsal posted:

handguns are a pain in the dick law-wise in Canada because god drat, I'd own one.
Emilio Ghisoni's got you covered:

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 5, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

I wanna say it's relevant to manufacture date, like you can buy a threaded barrel gun without issue so long as it was made before the ban. I could be wrong, California laws are always a tremendous loving mess.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

NFA is verboten in CA. No suppressors, no full auto fun. What's not clear is the deal with threaded barrels. I see local shops that have pistols with threaded barrels in their inventory, but the barrel itself appears to be banned as well from what I've read.

Threaded barrels are a no-go on semi autos:

quote:

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.

I don't know what stores you're going to, but I wouldn't touch it. You can't sell someone else an assault weapon, even if you legally owned it prior to the ban.

Plus side: the only reason to have a threaded pistol is for a can, and those are illegal too.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Artificial scarcity be a motherfucker. If I ever have to turn my guns into rent, I'll probably be covering 2 months at a time.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

What ammunition do you guys like for 40? I've mostly shot Federal and Remington for long guns. Federal gets kind of expensive.

I was going to recommend The Purp, calibrated to mimic the 180gn HST Homeland Security contract load, but it's out of stock again. Outdoorlimited still has it, but I've never bought from them.

If you're down with buying reloads, LAX Ammo and Freedom Muntions both sell factory remans at the 20c/round price point, Freedom is probably cheaper since LAX charges sales tax within CA. You can also get a new customer free shipping thing from Freedom, IIRC.

Past that, there is Winchester White Box at 24c/rnd from a bunch of places, pick whichever gives you the best quote on shipping.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Please, don't dignify the chintzy wood on new factory 870s. You can do much better with an old corncob stock set and a little effort.

Arc Light posted:

I've never actually used a shotgun with that long a tube, so I'm kind of concerned that I'll scorch the poo poo out of the mag tube whenever I fire it.

The powder residue should just wipe off.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 3, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Can somebody explain to me why pistol lights are so expensive? Like the TLR-1 is $100 for just a flashlight, and it's another $150 on top of that if you want a laser and get the TLR-2. What gives?

Your basic heavy duty 2xCR123 LED flashlight is $40-$60, last I checked. You want something with electronics that will stand up to recoil forces, then add in the miniaturization, rail clamp, etc. It's not totally unreasonable. You don't need a laser.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
They keep going up in price, so I would get on that sooner rather than later.

The Buckmark and Ruger MkIV are the current best bets for a .22 semi auto plinking pistol. Both can be easily found for below MSRP online. Or you could be a giant loving hipster like me:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

I need to get me some old semiauto .22 pistol that looks like a space gun.

My Victor isn't even remotely the most space gun High Standard:

(Supermatic Trophy. I couldn't find a picture, but I've seen them with 8" barrels and two of those angled weights.)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

McNally posted:

I'm going to just guess that they managed to get someone to accept the notion that squeeze and release are two separate actions. Just a wild-rear end guess, though.

Ding ding ding

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

That would be a weird case because you can modify mechanical triggers too.

IIRC, the key phrase is "readily convertible". This is why the ATF disallows a lot of semi auto guns that fire from an open bolt. If your setup is a wire running to an actuator that trips a conventional sear, you're probably OK, and I believe there are several high end target pistols that use such a set up. OTOH, if the only thing keeping it from firing full loving automatic is the firmware in the trigger pack, they're probably going to take a dim view of that.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Naked Bear posted:

On the other hand, there's no way that an outright ban on electronic fire controls would ever hold up in court.

You try explaining to a 65 yr old judge that what you're doing is on the level while the ADA and an ATF agent stand on the other side saying, "it's a machine gun."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I love it. Doubly so if it puts a huge scratch on the receiver when you move it (and it looks like it does.)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

I'll take my dd214 over a discount on a handgun any day.

OTOH, a handgun is all the healthcare most of us are going to get after the next decade.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

So this thread has talked me out of 2 or 3 guns, but I have a line on a Beretta PX4 with 3 mags in 9mm for 460. How are they?

It's an OK price, not a screaming deal. Prices on the PX4 have crashed lately, you can find LNIB examples on Gunbroker for sub $400 pretty regularly, depending on how long you are willing to wait. I haven't put enough rounds through one to form an opinion, but I know some people who really like them. Have you personally tried it? If you want a polymer gun with an external hammer, the PX4 and the Sig P2022 are both the unloved, discontinued children of their parent companies and can both be found for <$400 these days. Of the two, the PX4 has more options in terms of low profile or de-cock only levers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrd2mjVFNoM

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Tiny guns have tighter tolerances for proper function, and they probably are using the same QA/QC standards as their full size pistols. I would not be surprised if it needs a little break in.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Finally, a SWAT team member with a legitimate excuse for opening every door with breaching gear (instead of the knob.)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Professor Bling posted:

So you're saying you screwed her on the first date?
:golfclap:

Rat physically carried a woman he just met over a mile, including loose scree. Got her car back to Denver. Sent flowers for her surgery. Most goons wouldn't do that for their own mothers, assuming they are physically capable of lifitng them.

I don't think there's ever a situation where someone is obliged to have sex with you, but I ain't even gay and I would give a guy at least a handie if he did all that poo poo for me.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
If you absolutely need to have one rifle that can seamlessly transition between 25yd-400yd targets and 0-25yd targets, it's a stupendously slick setup. I'd like to try the Docter-on-an-ACOG setup sometime too.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I hope that's a troll, because if it is, it's an excellent one.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Rat posted:

One guy even duct taped one of those old school D-cell maglites onto his shotgun.
This guy owns.

The Rat posted:

I tried to do some shooting with nods on the night stage with rifle, but given the overcast skies and total lack of starlight or moonlight, it really sucked.
I'm not current on my nighttime shoot mans CBT, but don't you have a bunch of really expensive IR flashlights and IR illuminators on your guns for exactly this purpose?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Rat posted:

Yup! And it still didn't help when trying to hit 8-12" targets out to 75y, or full size silhouettes at 100. Without any other light source, there was no visible shadow or contrast behind the steels with which to identify them.

Huh. Good to know.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
And Kimmy Schmidt.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

Non-revolver handgun for bears up to grizzly size says 10mm Glock 20 to me.

Probably the best bet, with some of the stouter Buffalo Bore loads. .45 ACP +P will still underpenetrate a bear according to hunting folks. The sort of ammo he needs will not be fun to shoot, but he can get a drop in .40S&W barrel and recoil spring assy to plink with.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

madeintaipei posted:

I seem to remember a Russian speaking goon translating a Soviet analysis on bear attacks in which a firearm was used (successfully or not). I think it was broken down by caliber of weapon used (a fairly useful metric in the USSR), how many rounds expended, and if the defense was "successful". The most used round, with the most rounds fired, was the 7.62x38Rmm Nagant cartridge. The M1895 revolver was by far the most common gun chambered in 7.62x38Rmm, with the military loading around as powerful as .32 H&R Magnum. I'm thinking of an old joke, "What did the Australian triple amputee have to say about great white sharks?" "Go for the eyes, mate, go for the eyes!"

The absolute best was that one of the data points was a bear shot with 35 rounds of 7.62×25mm Tokarev. 35 is the exact number of rounds in a PPSh stick mag, and there aren't a lot of other firearms in that caliber. Someone was rolling around Siberia with a WWII SMG as an anti-bear weapon and mag dumped into a bear until it went click.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Yes, because they are not great, and the 10/22 takedown and Magpul backpacker stock exist now, which do the same thing much better.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Rat posted:

Got those parts I was waiting on, and the scope for my 16" gun.

What are your thoughts on the SMR Mk8 on the main gun?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Yes. Yes they are.

What about compared to the VTAC Alpha you used to have on there?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Naked Bear posted:

You know what would be a good money maker?? Somebody should make mail-order DVD lessons like those old karate ones so that people can train in their own home and go from scrub-tier couch potatos to high-speed operators in no time.

Dog, you're like a decade late on that one:

This was my favorite:

Like, I don't think anyone who is actually going to be shooting dudes from helicopters needs to buy a DVD for training.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Rat, what the hell happened to your avatar. :stare:

I like a good Deus Ex reference as much as the next nerd, but that is an odd choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

What about Mosin Nagants and SKSs?

Like a juggalo outfit and facepaint of guns? Asking for a friend
The ushanka and Che t-shirt of the gun world.

The Hi-Point is the ICP/hatchetman merchandise of the gun world.