Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Which NorInCo product?

If you're talking about the company in general terms, it's probably the colored bandana: beloved by LA gang bangers, until it got a little too well known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

all these analogies are loving dumb

you are loving dumb if youre sitting there in your masturbation chair thinking them up

Well someone is clearly the crime-gun-dropped-in-the-ocean of posters.

Because you are salty.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

conceled carry in my pocketz

You live in California.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Rat posted:

Oh no, all blood guns are strictly competition or post apocalypse use only. My defensive guns are sterile of any devotions to the chaos gods.

That's a drat shame, because I would love to see the coverage of a trial where a bunch of burglars got smoked by a dude with night vision and a $4,000 SBR, and the deposition where expert witnesses are being called to testify about WH40k arcana and aesthetics.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Rat posted:

JUST LIKE THAT ROTTING CORPSE OF AN EMPEROR WITH ITS INSATIABLE THIRST FOR SOULS THAT YOUR CRUMBLING EMPIRE IS BUILT UPON
Ronald Reagan hasn't been President for like 26 years dude.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

like for realsies, if ya wanna shoot clay pidgeons there is a poo poo ton of places in the bay. just hit me up babe

I'm going to laugh when you get kicked off the trap range for trying to break clays with a cylinder choked, heat shielded Mossberg pump. Like, most places won't allow anything with less than a 26" barrel.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
TBH, I don't really see the point, since it obscures your field of view with the bulk of the sight, which is the opposite of what you want for clay shooting. It's going to gently caress up your lead. Maybe for turkey?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Isn't black powder corrosive (I guess technically, hydrophilic)?

Because fuuuuck that, I'm not scrubbing out the silencer on a gimmick gun every time I use it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

tastefully arranged labia posted:

I will never cease to be amazed in the ways people find loopholes in the law.

I don't really think "exacting compliance with the law as written" is really a loophole, even if it does subvert the author's intent of "people shouldn't be allowed to own things I don't like." Sort of a different animal from "oil filter thread adapters."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

ReverendCode posted:

new budget build AR, anderson lower, with a PSA upper + lower parts kit, all told came to ~$590 including the light and mount.
Is that a magpul offset light mount attached to a rail section attached to a M-lok mount?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

What's it like getting a C&R license? It's only $30 and the form seemed fairly straightforward, since I can skip all the stuff relevant only to an FFL.
Apparently getting the license itself isn't that hard, but once you have it you have to keep official records of every gun you acquire on the license like every other FFL. There is utility in being able to save on FFL fees and buy C&R pistols across state lines, but when I lived in a state with liberal gun laws, I just kicked $25 to the local pawn shop to do the paperwork and save me the various potential headaches of UPS leaving a box with a firearm on my porch while I was at work.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Is there a hard and fast format for records? Like do you need scanned copies of receipts, or will a spreadsheet with serial numbers do?

There is an official, required format.

https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/record-required-licensees

27 CFR Part 478, Subpart H - Records

Requirements to Keep Firearms Records Electronically (ATF)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

at the date posted:

Where are you getting your numbers? Shootings make up the vast majority of homicides in the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/homicide.htm

Specifically, per the FBI all rifles accounted for a grand total of 248 homicides in 2014. Self loading rifles will by definition be a subset of that.

That's nothing. If you want to save lives, mandate ignition interlocks on all cars instead, and save the 9,967 people killed by DUIs the same year.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

Passed out drunk on the floor in a pile of "But actually..." forum posts

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Rat posted:

I did today's 3-gun match in a gas mask for all stages.
...is there something you know that the rest of us probably should?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
You literally made a two stamp 22 long rifle SBR with an Aimpoint and a DBAL for the purposes of blasting critters trying to get into your chicken coop? Stylish.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Rat posted:

Every bit of it gets used.

They mostly come at night.

Mostly.
No doubt, but most people use an old 20ga shotgun propped up next to the back door for the same purpose.

A Ruger Charger pistol plus some Primary Arms electronics would have got you 90% of the way there, but wouldn't have been nearly as cool.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
You misunderstand me, that's why I love it.

Situation: Raccoons are disturbing the chicken coop.
Normal person: "I think I saw an old Sears shotgun at the pawn shop."
The Rat: "Let me go find my spare infrared laser so I can mount it over the integrated suppressor."
Raccoons: :nutshot:

Those SLR Rifleworks hand guards are the tits, BTW.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 13, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

What's wrong with the carbine gas system on a 16"? I think they look neat.
Aside from the minor over gassing issue Rat mentioned, there's nothing really "wrong" with 16"/Carbine, it's just a sub-optimal choice and better stuff has come along. In terms of classic looks, I prefer 14.5"/Carbine with a pinned muzzle device, especially now that multiple companies are making slim muzzle devices that you can slip a gas block over.

14.5/Car:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
BCM also makes midlength uppers with a bayo lug and their 9" KMR or quad rail free float handguards installed. No M-lok option, sadly.

He could also add a Centurion C4 midlength cut-out rail, they're free float, but they're expensive and not super light weight.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 29, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Rat posted:

I think Daniel Defense makes a cutout rail too, but probably even more expensive than the Centurion.
Discontinued.
DD only ever made them in the Lite rail version, so not drop in like the C4, and carbine length IIRC.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

About how cheap could I go for an AR that’s meant for home defense? Something where I’d at least be buying separate upper and lower but not building it from the ground up (just replacing parts individually if I felt like it later on).

Also something I don’t plan on running into the ground in 3-gun matches or intensive training.
How soon do you need it? You picked a really bad time for this, because all the Black Friday deals are over and everything is out of stock.

My default suggestions these days are:

Aero OEM rifle on sale for $500
Troy 13" M-Lok rail - $150
B5 Bravo Stock - $50

OR

Primary Arms Troy Upper on sale for $400 pretty regularly
Aero Precision Complete Lower - $200

AND

Aimpoint PRO <$400
Streamlight ProTac rail mount <$100
3x Magpul PMag - $15x3

You can drag the price a lot lower by waiting on sales and buying accessories used. For the red dot in particular, you can probably find better deals if you wait. There have been some nutso deals on micro red dots lately, and one of those on a riser could be a solid choice for a rifle you aren't planning to beat up and drag through the mud.

If you really want to keep costs down, you could always forego the dot entirely, and just use irons. The Troy Upper comes with them, and a set for the Aero would be another $100.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

I’m not exactly desperate for one. I do have a Simmons red dot already that I can slap on if I really need one.
If it's meant for self defense, I would go with iron sights over a cheapass Simmons/Barska electronic sight.

The fact that you want to use it for self defense is what's driving the price into the upper three digits, rather than "lol I can make a complete AR-15 for $350."

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 30, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
If you really want to see how low you can go,

PSA Middy Stainless upper w/ BCG & CH - $250 & free shipping
Anderson complete lower - $140
Troy or Aero rear <$70
PMag $15

That's a complete gun for $475 plus shipping & transfer and you can get it today. I'd definitely shoot a few hundred rounds through it to make sure it works, but it would be a good entry level option if you really don't want to spend a lot. You'd also need to attach a light if you wanted to use it for self defense, so maybe another $75-$100.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

What makes a $400 or less AR insufficient for home defense?
It's not really a question of sufficiency, it's more odds vs stakes.

(Also, there is a difference between something that is $400 every day, $400 on a great sale, and $400 because it's used but still serviceable.)

The lower tiers in the AR market tend to be distinguished not so much by materials but by their finishing and QC. Improper staking of parts, canted sights, improperly dimensioned gas ports, chambers just barely within spec, nuts and fasteners loose or over torqued. (There is also sometimes a question of substandard small parts, but every company is so cagey about their suppliers these days that for all I know Colt is getting their springs and detents from AliExpress.) If you get a good one, it will be sufficient. If.

That $475 build I posted earlier would probably be just fine, but if I'm recommending something to a consumer who is asking for basic suggestions, I assume they aren't going to tear it down and look at its teeth (or gas rings), so I lean towards recommending brands that have a known track record of being good out of the box and are less likely to turn out a gun with lurking problems, especially when the consumer says they want something for self defense.

It's the same with optics, really: some people have seen good use out of Holosun or Primary Arms dots, but Aimpoint has been so good for so long that in a pinch I would feel OK using one without backup sights and just changing the battery every few years.

I wouldn't go below the $400 mark for an AR, because there you have to start asking yourself what they did to get the price that far below the floor of the normal market... And how you feel about that product containing an explosion next to your face as you defend yourself.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 1, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I've never understood the freak-out about concealed carry, except as an extension of "no one should have guns because they might get in a heated argument, flip out, and shoot someone."

The sort of people willing to go down to the courthouse, get fingerprinted by the Sheriff, pay a fee, and wait 30-60 business days before carrying a gun are not the people who, on average, you need to be worried about.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

How many people do I need to slaughter to make a statistical meaningful argument that mass ban are worth it? 1000? 5000? 10k?

Whatever the number, it's more than 80,000.

You know, unless the cause of death is something that you don't personally care for, in which case one death is too many.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
OTOH, if you're manufacturing guns whose main use is assassinations & wet work, why do you care?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Rat posted:

Nah too expensive there. And if I did, it'd be auto, not burst.

I am however starting with an actual Colt lower, marked M4 Carbine: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/lower-receivers/ar-15-m4-complete-lower-receiver-5-56mm-prod109740.aspx

Also got a Colt 6921 upper (14.5" barrel, essentially an M4 upper) with KAC RIS on it. Everything else is currently on order/in the mail. I'm going turbo autist on this. The only deviations from what I carried will be the lack of a giggle switch and an A2X flash hider instead of an A2. (0.2" longer, pinned/welded in place to keep it from being an SBR, because gently caress waiting a year for this thing.)
Can't wait to see it. Been idly assembling bits for a similar thing myself, but can't get the Colt lower due to :ca:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Rat posted:

This is the goal, except with one of those retarded buttstock mag pouches. (I apparently took off the buttstock mag pouch for this picture because we were just about to ship back to Alaska, I think.)

LOL, a PEQ-2 and Surefire M9xx? I think those actually have antique value now.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Rat posted:

Even worse, a PAQ-4. No illuminator whatsoever, just a weak rear end little laser. At least on a PEQ-2, you can crank up the intensity and such. And yeah it's :shepface: as gently caress that we used to think those Surefires were "blind your rear end bright" when they were just 65 lumens. That's almost 1/10 of what my current Surefires are pushing.
I'm leaning more towards something a bit more late war: Colt upper, SOPMOD stock, Lone Star pistol grip, Tangodown VFG, Blue Force Gear sling. Surefire 6xx when I have the scratch. I'm going with the KAC RAS II over the original, since they cost the same and the II is better in every way. No grip pod, even though those were super common for a while.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

BigDave posted:

Planning a Iraq War reenactment?

Eh, leaning more Afghanistan, but I don't know of you can reenact something that is still going on. Anyway, it's mostly that I enjoy pointless anachronism.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

is the 92 that bad or is it just the fact that all the military ones are all beat to poo poo and 15 years old

They're beat to poo poo, and the M9 tech order specifies something ridiculous like 16 lbs for the DA trigger.

I like DAO Berettas, and really DAO guns in general. The Berettas in particular are simple and reliable, and have a nice trigger after they break in.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Sir, this is a drive thru guns and liquor mart.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Also, naming your child Maverick should be a misdo.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Bandit and Bogey.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I don't think I can say it enough, but Ollie North? loving seriously?

my kinda ape posted:

This one's pretty good tbh

For dogs, or for kids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Water777 posted:

What's the doodad at the top end of the rail?

Are you talking about the 45° offset BUIS, or the DBAL?