Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
This is a much easier way to make your peener size larger on the ol internet

:nws: http://kotaku.com/new-conan-game-sure-has-dicks-in-it-1791800860

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Seriously considering having my S&W revolver etched and inlaid by an artist I know who does some pretty neat metal work. It's a blued gun and he's trying to talk me in to doing some silver inlay and getting teak grips that he can do some laser engraving on them as well. He's been researching the old Tiffany custom guns and the late 1800s European firearms engraving and wants to try it out on my cheapo rattlesnake shooter. All it will cost me is the silver used and the price of the grips

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Little lady wants a :barf: Taurus :barf: curve. Anyone know if they're any good?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

I've never seen one of those or even heard of it until now. I recommend finding a place that carries them and let her handle it. Even better would be finding a range that'll rent one out.

She got to fire one already at the range. We have a gun dealer out here who does a ladies night type thing where he encourages women to come out and shoot guns. She ended up digging the Curve and hating the LC9, which surprised me. I'm a dilettante at best when it comes to semi-auto pistols but I have heard awful things about Taurus guns in general for the last 6 years or so, so I was curious if this is the exception to the rule or just garbage

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Eesh. Yeah, that review seems to confirm a few fears.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

MazelTovCocktail posted:

While not a normal strategy, does your wife react to not wanting "cheap brands and labels?"

She doesn't care. She grew up on a ranch and having her clothes come from Tractor Supply, Wal Mart and places like that so she doesn't give two shits about the label on something.

She does like shooting my Bersa PPK knock-off though, so I'll probably just give her that even though its a bit heavier than she wanted

e: and yeah, the judge is a turd, I don;t care for the governor either. I'm a revolver guy and I've had 2 Taurus revolvers (a 38sp and a 44) and they were both good guns with no issues in my years with them, but I'dn be remiss not to point outr that my Rossi re-manufacture of the same 38 model was miles better in terms of mechanical smoothness and accuracy and my S&W 357 is even more-so. So I was curious if they'd gotten any better with semi-autos after seeing a friends PT24 be a laughable poo poo-gun for years. It would appear they have not

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 3, 2017

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

The positive talk on Rossi revolvers is kind of relieving. My .357mag is a Rossi and watching the rear sight fly off at the range during my ccw class was really off-putting, but it was cheap and everything important mechanically works like a charm. And the rear sight was re-tapped for a larger screw and as much metal-metal adhesive as physically possible without being noticeable.

I wouldn't buy a Rossi again, but I'm comfortable with the one I have. Until I can dump money on that R8 someone mentioned before in another thread. But I don't have that kind of gun money laying around.

I'd buy another Rossi if I needed another short barrel snake shooter I could leave in a drawer until I need to shoot some substandard hand load at something 12 feet away and never, ever gently caress up in the slightest or need any service past the occasional oiling. Because It does that job exceedingly well

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I wouldn't buy a Rossi again, but I'm comfortable with the one I have.

Ended up going shooting lastnight with a friend, he has a brand new Rossi R85104 and it actually shot much better than my old Rossi and my new S&W .357, way more accurate, smoother action, less recoil. I'm now seriously debating selling my SW because I can pick up the same Rossi from a local gunshop for $250 and my SW sells for around $650 around here

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I have the 97104.

I like it, I really do. It shoots straight and everything works nicely. But after the rear sight ejected itself, I started reading more reviews. Warranty work is in the neighborhood of hilarious and ridiculous so I took it to the shop I bought it from and their smith took care of it for cheap.

In the end, I wanted a revolver and if you're gonna gamble on cheap or brazilian, may as well try a Rossi. Function over form. But it does look pretty decent too.

I have the short barrel version of that gun (R46102), it's honestly the most reliable gun I have ever owned. I'm kind of amazed by it too, because all I ever really shoot from it aside from the occasional .38 P at the range is snake shot packed by local rednecks, and it has never had a single issue and it's still accurate at 20 yards. Though I have after-market grips and sights on it

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Over the next year sometime I have to take a bodyguard class and a "Tactical pistol" course for work (This state licenses PI's and Physical security under the same license so boss man figures we should get trained up for both) I'm totally using my Bersa Thunder for both courses because then I get to make Archer jokes all day

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

NFA is verboten in CA. No suppressors, no full auto fun. What's not clear is the deal with threaded barrels. I see local shops that have pistols with threaded barrels in their inventory, but the barrel itself appears to be banned as well from what I've read.

I wanna say it's relevant to manufacture date, like you can buy a threaded barrel gun without issue so long as it was made before the ban. I could be wrong, California laws are always a tremendous loving mess.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

Advice request:

SA XDS .45, $425 + four free magazines (not sure what capacity)
or
M&P Shield .45, $345 + $72 for three extra 7-rd mags, $417 total

I wanted to rent both, but nobody in town has a Shield .45. :(

I'd say Shield just for that steal of a price alone, but both are pretty great

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
GF went to the gun store yesterday evening and tried to buy the Ruger LCP after she finally got to fire on set up correctly and liked it. Ended up delayed through NICS, as well as about 20 other people trying to buy that day from that store. Friend I know who went to buy his son a .22 lastnight at Walmart had the same issue. Anyone else having the same issue?

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 24, 2017

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Untagged posted:

As a Glock man :toot: I'd like to say the Ruger LC9s is pretty sweet. That is all.

Ruger's LC series seems to be them saying "For fucks sake do not buy a goddamed Kel Tec, we'll sell you a good gun for like $10 more"

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Naked Bear posted:

I've heard of this happening every once in a while. It's not a denial, merely "we weren't able to give an immediate 'yes.'" If it's that many people, it could just be a hiccup.

Shop guy fat-fingered my app and put in the wrong middle initial, so it flagged. It got approved this morning after he realized his mistake and re-submitted

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

P226 status: out of gun jail tomorrow

Coworker just bought one Saturday, the Legion model. Showed it off at the office yesterday, seems really sweet

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

What laser module do you have on there? I like the grip switch.

Maybe I'm just a pleb but I don't see the point of the extra 200-300 for the legion stuff unless you want membership in the legion club.

Dude's loaded, between this job, his retirement check and his part time handling massive amounts of money and collateral for a few real estate brokers out here he doesn't want for much

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

sky shark posted:

Coming from carrying my USP which was smooth like butter even after 10k rounds through it, it was jarring to have a firearm not working right out of the box.

HK products are just so loving smooth regardless of age. Every single one I have owner and/or shot has been super nice

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Stupid question: Where the gently caress did the expression "gat" come from?

I recall hearing it in gangster talk in movies or a show, or a rap song or something from my childhood, but google tells me it's either a term for gun under the prohibition period, or short from "gatling gun".

Short for gatling gun, then became to mean any gun. Anything thats gangster phrasing is simply because it sounds cool or tough

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

Oh I don't care about that, I just didn't want to spend $500+ to have a handful of small targets set up. But I also don't want to deal with the kind of fragmentation/ricochet risk you get with non AR steel.

I remember when i was a teenager we'd go shooting on the back acre of my grandparent's plantation. There was a really old iron washing machine with the hand crank thing on top and all, and my grand mother had put out there when she had gotten a brand new top loader from Maytag in the late 80s.

I had an idiot uncle go out with us once and he brought his side-by-side 12 gauge and my brother and I brought our .22s . We placed a thin wooden piece of siding with a paper target on top of it and leaned it on the washer.

We took pot shots at like 50 yards while my uncle took pulls from his tallboy of Busch beer. After about 15 minutes he then walked up to about 10 feet away from it and unloaded both barrels on it, caught a really bad ricochet from the bird-shot and dropped like a bag of rocks. Luckily it was low velocity when it came back, but he was bruised from nipple to belly button and crying as he rolled from side to side for the better part of 10 minutes

I learned some good stuff that day

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I'd argue, like with most hard and fast rules, that it probably never was meant to be applied to Hunter S Thompson

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Hunter is a guy who exchanged gunfire with his neighbors on at least one occasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHeSC_Ws5Ic

Buying land next to Hunter's seems like a recipe for that exact scenario

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I want to buy a Thompson so I can get some wood furniture custom made with :Fear and Loathing in las vegas" on it in the stylized movie font and I can call it my "Hunter S Thompson Submachine Gun"

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Buying a Walther P22 today with 3 magazines for $220

I just want a .22 pistol again

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Syrian Lannister posted:

They are nice, I don't like the fact they only fire high velocity .22 reliably.

Guy I'm buying it from shoots subsonic remington out of it without issue. He polished down the reset tabs/bars and loctite'd the screws, which seems to handle the issue with the slide not resetting properly

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Welp, I'm the idiot who let posts in GiP talk him out of something. I love you all

But seriously, thanks for the heads up

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

what im saying is tfr is dumb so gently caress them

The tactilol thread was great, but now it's awful poo poo with a bunch of gun hipsters trying to be kool kontrarian kids and saying how brilliant the poo poo is

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
So this thread has talked me out of 2 or 3 guns, but I have a line on a Beretta PX4 with 3 mags in 9mm for 460. How are they?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

DoktorLoken posted:

You can get an M&P or Glock for that much.

I like having an exterior hammer for some reason and I honestly don't really care for Glocks in the slightest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

My kid sister had one, it is a complete piece of poo poo little gun