Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Ahhhhhh, there it is, I was just about to ask the question. Nice play, rat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
By the way, if you are in South Florida and have your DD-214 the turn around on getting your concealed carry is insane. My wife went and applied for ours on the Monday, it got approved on Wednesday, and we had them both by Saturday.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'll throw out an option for a .308 bolt gun. The FN TSR whatever they call them. I picked one up off a dude living in the barracks for cheap who needed spice money and had never fired the thing. When I was shooting regularly I could cold shot a target the size of my fist at 300 yards with factory ammo. Now I can't find a loving range anywhere near but I still got it.

Also for a carry piece you could also look an FN. I've got an FNX-9. I don't actually carry it, but you can count on it to bang every time, and it's a polymer frame with (mostly) metal guts, and a metal slide. It's as plasticy as I'll ever be willing to go because that plastic flex feeling makes me loving crazy.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

The Rat posted:

Had fun at my first pistol cal carbine match over the weekend. I think my main points that need improving are safety manipulation, visual patience on the sights, and reload technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8CkkJSCZro

Rat you have cool gats and you should give them all to me.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Fox River socks. Always Fox River socks. There may be better out there but I have never had socks that last so goddamn long.

Hearing protection my wife and I use these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T7QJ9O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's better out there but for the price they are pretty aces.

There's no loving way you'd catch me wearing a plate carrier but I'm sure someone else can help.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

DoktorLoken posted:

Eh, I switched to only wearing good quality (REI, Darn Tough, etc.) wool boot/light hiker socks. They're so much better that I threw away or gave to homeless people all of my Fox River socks.

Actually, it's funny that you say that my wife got some Darn Toughs and she loves them. I was tempted but I like a thick sock and the place we were at didn't have any in a thick variety so I guess I'm gonna be a Fox River scrub for a while longer.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Speaking of ARs, can someone comment on recent Colt AR-15s? I'm told that at the very least they used to be a solid unit, but one of the last things I did when I was still in was get a poo poo detail of unboxing a bunch of M4s from Colt and giving them a quick look over. I was not very impressed at all with the fit and finish of them. Lowers and uppers just rattley as gently caress, actions rough, triggers suck, just generally seemed like poor quality. Is this the same with the Colt AR-15s available commercially or does Colt just dump junk on the army because they can?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
No, the lower and upper fitment was loose as poo poo. And we went through quite a few of those big crates of them.

I also think this was a year or 2 after FN had picked up the M4 contract, yet we still had piles of these Colts coming in because... well, I assume someone was getting paid. So I also assume nobody was checking them.

Then again, knowing manufacturing, you can really put some slop into anything if you really work the tolerances and don't give a gently caress, and still have a thing pass QC.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That has to easily be one of the dumbest laws I've ever heard

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
A thicker barrel takes away room for railzzzz and laserzzzzzzzz.

Maybe puts more force against the threads in the receiver? Thermal expansion is gonna be greater on a thicker barrel, but you're talking a difference of (at a rough guess) about .3 microinches per degree F, so about two tenths of gently caress all. And it'd take longer to heat up anyway.

Anyway, whenever someone mentions under and overs I always think of this piece of propaganda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfo1QUGfWZE

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Pesticide20 posted:

Looking for some pistol recommendations at the moment. I have a Sig P229 chambered for .40 S&W, but I'm thinking of getting something a little larger. Suggestions?

I've got a .45 but I'm kind of meh about it. I do however smile every time I fire a 10mm.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Godholio posted:

No, I can only handle so much self-fellatio before I lose interest and re-proclaim that I'll never own a glock. But this page actually has some side-by sides of the standard G30 and the SF, AND a description of the difference. The SF's backstrap has 3mm taken out.

Fake edit: :lol: Nevermind, the Glocks run $200-300 more than the Springfield and M&P I'm looking at.

You're not the only one. They feel all wrong with that weird grip and they just recoil wrong to me.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I, too, have always asked the question of "what if nerf and Lego made a real gun"

Wait, no I haven't.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

What ammunition do you guys like for 40? I've mostly shot Federal and Remington for long guns. Federal gets kind of expensive.

Feeding .40 tends to be a bitch. You've always got your winchester and magtech, which is usually cheap as poo poo (relatively) but it's not great. Nosler goes on sale a lot and is a good middle ground between the two when it is on sale.

I don't use .40 specifically but it's the same for .45 and 9mm so I don't see why .40 should be much different.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
The CX4 is fun as gently caress in 9mm. And Beretta have jumbo 30 round mags that are actually reliable.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Theoretically? Maybe very slightly under specific circumstances.

Really, it's more about money. If you leave non-brass casings lying around then they can't sell them to the brass recyclers. If you've got something besides lead and copper in your projectiles then it's gonna effect their recycle rates as their purity will drop. Or they have to sort them.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That's not terribly uncommon, especially with weapons with tight tolerances. It's basically a manufacturing thing of "well, you can put up with 1000 rounds of slight drawback for a lifetime of good function, or have no problems out of the box and have a major issue down the road".

That being said, I'm sure it's not intentional, but these kind of things can be down to 2 parts being 0.0001” over spec, which cumulatively is enough to go from slip fit to a slight interference fit.

An uncle of mine had a tricked out 1911 and despite being a gorilla of man couldn't rack the slide with the hammer down for the first 500 rounds. Didn't get normalish until well over a thousand.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, it's not the best feeling in the world not having your firearm function correctly.

I find it a good excuse to just go shoot some more rounds because it's good fun.

If you like to tinker with your gats a caliper is always good especially if you're trying to find out things like if you've got a questionable magazine. Or figuring out why a replacement part won't fit.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
My dad had a .22 Ruger Mark 3. Kept giving him poo poo because he kept shooting more and more to the right.

Then his back sight fell off.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Godholio posted:

Oh I don't care about that, I just didn't want to spend $500+ to have a handful of small targets set up. But I also don't want to deal with the kind of fragmentation/ricochet risk you get with non AR steel.

What's AR steel?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That sound suspiciously like that tensalloy bastard stuff they use in mining. That makes sense.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I don't know nothing about that walther, but I do know that some of those anschutz and walther thumb hole stocks are absolutely magical.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

:catstare:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

The Rat posted:

Took Waldo on a brief hike today. :geno:

Where the devil you at again?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hahahahaha holy poo poo I'd report them to the psychiatric association because goddamn they need some help before they go tinkering with people's thoughts

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
My wife has a Beretta arx 100? 160? whatever the one in .22 is and it's just fun as poo poo.

.22s are great.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Dead Reckoning posted:

They keep going up in price, so I would get on that sooner rather than later.

The Buckmark and Ruger MkIV are the current best bets for a .22 semi auto plinking pistol. Both can be easily found for below MSRP online. Or you could be a giant loving hipster like me:

Holy moly a high standard

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Those 87 targets are easily the most accurate rimfire I've ever used besides moon guns like hammerli and poo poo.

The trigger can be a little rough but it's nothing a few shims and a ruby stone can't fix.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Glad that the days of having to buy Ely because there's literally nothing else left available are gone.

For now.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I think I've still got a brick of the stuff. It's super clean and accurate as can be, but holy moly I'd only use it on the reg if I was in competition.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Well if that's the case a few more videos like that go viral and I'm sure there's gonna be some knocking on people's doors.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Ha! That's pretty cool. Retro as gently caress.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Booblord Zagats posted:

So this thread has talked me out of 2 or 3 guns, but I have a line on a Beretta PX4 with 3 mags in 9mm for 460. How are they?

I'm a horrid Beretta fanboy, but I can't say I'm a super big fan of the PX4. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but the ergonomics just don't suit me. Something about the grip, I find the sights a bit too chunky... just little things that just didn't suit me. If they work for you, I would definitely buy. I can't comment on the price though.

And failing all else they are crazy reliable.

Also shares mags with the CX4.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Well, it's better if you want more than 7/8 rounds. That's about it though.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
The only time I've ever heard cease fires in the army were at night ranges.

One was when we were all lined up with M4s plugging away, and watching some of the lasers swing all over the range is terrifying. Then some fires a burst across the range almost into the shooters on the firing line and welp.

The other time was in Korea when a loving Bradley from another unit got lost and was racing across the land when we were searching for targets. Our tanks gunner spots him lasers him, and realized that it's a loving Bradley and just aims the barrel to the sky and screams cease fire over the net.

Some people can be trusted at night, some can't. I wouldn't do them again voluntarily.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Full power 10mm is pretty stout.

I think it was supposed to be an auto friendly .357 magnum equivalent.

Unless you are going to go to a .44 that's about your only real option.

To be honest though bears are long arm territory as far as I'm concerned, but a 10mm is a lot better than Marquis of Queensbury rules.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Some animals have insanely strong bones, and sometimes not even animals you'd really expect (gently caress you, wild goats).

Having seen a grizzly bear skeleton the thickness of the bones is amazing, and is probably the biggest impediment to stopping them charging at you.

I think that's where people would prefer the extra penetration.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I shot one at a range in Vegas and I don't know what they cost the FBI but they are worth every penny.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, olympic type pistol match coaches, 5 shots in 6 minutes type events, will throw in a dummy round here and there to see what happens. It's a good training technique for anything that goes bang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I've seen a couple of the C.A.R. guys before and they all share one thing in common: they should really concentrate about hitting the thing in front of them before wondering what is around them.

Because they are bad at it.

Like, really bad.