Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Alternate budget bolt action: Tikka T3, dickload of options for stock/caliber/etc and a direct price competitor for Savage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Did someone say Dragon's Breath?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Bought a used one of those once in 30-06....goddamn was the gun fantastic. I mean just a great gun. That said I wouldn't really call it budget or in the same price point as Savage.

Well Tikka T3 CTR vs Savage 10FP probably isn't "budget", but both have low-mid $600 offerings which are plenty nice.

Of course what I really want is a custom action in some flavor of 6.5 with Schmidt & Bender glass and maybe an AICS AX stock if I can get over how much of a tacticool dildo it looks like compared to the AWs. Buuuut $7k (including a hand load setup because if you've got that and you're not...) in disposable income isn't just trying to mug me and jump in my pockets every day.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Godholio posted:

Get a 1911. Unless you're a loving communist/terrorist sympathizer.

1911s are one of those guns that while you're better off getting something a bit more modern to start with, you're going to probably end up with one sooner or later.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I'd like an AR that has the short stroke piston action versus the Gas operated direct impingement system. I had a silenced HK-416 variant with a forward grip and I forget what PEQ/Optics but I loved the gun when I was playing cowboys and Indians in Afghanistan and Iraq. I wasn't a door kicker, but I had to go on a lot of missions for SSE / Battlefield interrogating.

Is buying a civilian H&K the only way I can get that piston action? Or do other manufacturers make similar products?

Christ it's gonna be pricey to get an H&K and then a long wait and even more money for a silencer. Plus whatever optics I decide on.

Oh god all my money.

Is it also NFA to get a really short barrel too?

The thing I loved about having a suppressed weapon was that I didn't need ear pro when practicing on the range. I'd like that again as a civvie.

MR556A1 is the civ variant, separate tax stamps ($200 ea) for the can and registering the lower as an SBR. Probably less expensive to grab a decent lower to register, then order the shorty upper since as it's not technically the "gun" part you can just get it shipped to your door. There are definitely other manufacturers doing the piston AR thing, but HK seems to be the one with the least bitching about traditional problems you'd hear with a direct impingement to piston ghetto-rig.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

my kinda ape posted:

OD green is really cheap from RobertRTG I think, not sure about tropical. The wide handguard is harder to find but Numrich arms has them in stock for $80. Brownells has them too I think.

edit: Full OD green furniture set for $13 http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/G3-GERMAN-OD-GREEN-SURPLUS-STOCK-SET-25p2135.htm

OD green wide style handguard for $80 https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/985470.htm

Also I just realized the indoor range near my house doesn't allow ammo that attracts a magnet...like the 500 rounds I just bought :negative:

Maybe I can convince them it's ok since it's not actually steel cored?

If they're not dicks, just pulling the bullet out of the round should be good.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

I can't be the only one thinking that there has to be a market for a Where's Waldo/hiking/guns thing.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

If HK could go ahead and start selling MR556A1 uppers again, that'd be super neat.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Shameful that nobody's posted the new railgun footage yet.

http://i.imgur.com/0xXgcIx.gifv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFEIa8X-1FA

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 24, 2017

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Pesticide20 posted:

URL tags for gifvs and mp4s to auto-embed

Figured phoneposting would gently caress it up, but oddly enough it auto-embeds with IMG on the Awful app.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Sawzall is nice to have sometimes. Plus a power/hammer drill is good to have laying around if there's even a slight chance you're going to have to break out masonry bits for something.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Sordins with the gel cups are godly.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

How do you not already have an M50?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

You don't have to rock both filters, FWIW.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

This is the man who saw the Accountant and immediately bought a Barrett afterwards.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

The Rat posted:

It's not a matter of killed in the streets or whatever. A G19 with a light is a good choice. What people get at with regards to an AR for home defense is that it's the most effective in terms of ballistics, controllability and minimizing overpenetration.

You can keep good positive control on an AR by means of a sling.

But that said I'd rather have a G19 with a light than nothing. It's ultimately a personal choice with regards to your comfort zone, training, METT-TC, etc. Pick something, train with it, and hope you never have to use it. Training is a better use of time than internet debating over hair splitting topics, after all. (Not you, but christ TFR has been touchy lately.)

If I read, much less hear, another loving handgun caliber debate I'm going to take a cut-down double barrel pistol and face-gently caress these goony motherfuckers with glitter-packed shot shell handloads.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Criminals just gonna crime so :effort:

I too enjoy retarded, lazy strawmen.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Superfeet > *

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Godholio posted:

Jesus they're $1 less than my shoes.

My feet didn't feel like they were going to explode after a 12-15mi ruck, soooo...

Shoes and insoles are one of those things where you really get what you pay for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Godholio posted:

It's part of why John Wick was loving awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtVmEOxLE1Q

Yep.