Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Salton Sea at dawn from just before Villager Peak. Hiking in snow in the desert is interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I did A Thing earlier this month.

Winter in Yosemite was interesting. It was my first time to the park, so I'll have to go back to see it from a different perspective. I guess I had my first "Old man yells at clouds" moment here while watching people hike on the icy granite with just converses and running shoes and wondering wtf they're thinking.

Death Valley was cool as gently caress due to the multitude of things you could do and see there. I didn't realize how big the whole park is until actually driving around. I may also be biased because I grew up with the desert and love it. It was a full moon while we were there, so not much stargazing to do. However, walking the Mesquite Sand Dunes under the moonlight was pretty neat.

On the way home we drove through Mojave National Preserve and the Kelso Dunes are loving massive. Even from four miles away they dwarfed the Mesquite Dunes at DV.

Yosemite

Ranger-led snowshoeing

Hiking up to Nevada Falls on the winter route.

The last mile of switchbacks to the top was like this. Fun times!

Liberty Cap and the moon.

Death Valley

Badwater Basin

There was a gigantic puddle with about 1" of water one mile from the Badwater Basin parking lot which made for some cool photos.

Artist's Palette

Ubehebe Crater

Red Cathedral from Golden Canyon

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

It is desert season, so started off yesterday by doing the Domelands in the Coyote Mountain Wilderness, about 90 minutes east of San Diego

People like to shoot out here but never pick up their brass.

Did some slot canyons

Halfway

These domes used to be sand dunes that hardened and the winds have carved away at them over time for make the formations

Looking north toward Salton Sea

The top of the mountains used to be a seabed a long time ago so there's some marine fossils if you look.

This morning drove up to Mt. Laguna for sunrise and left my phone on potato mode. Oops.

These are all looking east toward Salton Sea and Anza Borrego Desert State Park.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 15, 2020

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Saturday I went up to Granite Mountain via Cool Canyon out on the western edge of Anza Borrego Desert State Park, seeing as it'll probably be my last desert hike for the season since babby is coming very soon.

I knew Santa Ana's were blowing in, but wasn't expecting 50-60mph gusts for the stretch that went ~4,500ft to the peak at 5,650ft

Overall it was a fun hike, as once you get out of the canyon there's no real trail and it's just making your way up the ridges with some scrambling along the way.

https://i.imgur.com/Xq1IF5J.mp4

This was at 4,600ft

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Camera's on a Samsung Galaxy A51 5G

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Sent out to Anza Borrego Desert State Park a few weeks ago and went up Whale Peak from the south.

First bit of the route went by some pictographs

Looking east toward Salton Sea

Looking south to the Carrizo Badlands and Sawtooth Mountains

Route down

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I have a Marmot Tungsten 3p for my wife and I. It's served us well over the years and the extra room is nice so we aren't totally squished together if we end up having to bring our stuff inside due to weather.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Went out to Bighorn Canyon at Anza Borrego Desert State Park with some goons last weekend

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Since I have a toddler now it's a bit harder to get out and about but I have managed some.

Whale Peak out in Anza Borrego Desert State Park. Took another goon and it was the last desert hike of the season since it broke 100F while we were out the last weekend of April.

Then up to Cuyamaca, Japacha, and Stonewall Peaks in Cuyamaca Rancho State Park.

Noble Canyon, part of the Cleveland National Forest.

And this past weekend did a quick bag of Viejas Mountain before it got hot for the day, also part of Cleveland National Forest.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

There was a slight dip in temperature here this week, so after a last minute check I decided to sneak in desert hike over at Anza Borrego Desert State Park instead of my original plan for Saturday. Just gotta start at 6am :eng101:

Got back to the car and it was ~95F at 11am, so overall a good time. Broke a hiking poke when I fell on a boulder though.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Decided to wander up to the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains National Monument since I've done most of the bigger elevation gain hikes in San Diego. Got a bunch of stuff to do now when I can't do the desert rat stuff.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

More San Jacinto Mountains fun, this time around Red and Grey Tahquitz

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Sunday's goal was to hit up San Ysidro mountain, the Thimble, and White BM for the first desert hike of the season. Ended up only getting White BM due to weather.

Thimble on the left. Got up to the last ~30ft but too wet to scramble up to the top.

San Ysidro is ~600ft up and 0.75 miles into this boulder field so we decided to go home.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 4, 2023

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Went out to Elephant benchmark in Anza Borrego Desert State Park last weekend and saw some Elephant trees and lots of rocks

Elephant tree

Salton Sea from the benchmark

Carrizo Badlands from the benchmark

The way down and out

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Did my annual overnight to Villager Peak this weekend.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Galaxy S23+

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Went up Borrego Palm Canyon a bit. A good amount of water flowing down from Hot Springs Mountain right now and with another storm coming through this week it should be more.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 30, 2024

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Valley of Fire State Park

A bit of Red Rock Canyon

loving around some benchmarks in Storm Canyon at Anza Borrego Desert State Park

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Went out to Goat Canyon Trestle in the kinda rain storm we had.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Did a loop that hit up Pyramid Peak, Marble Peak, and Rosa Point over the weekend. The goal was to also bag Mile High Mountain but I was gassed at Rosa Point to add another 1100ft over four miles after going up 4700ft.

Never met the guy but Steve Fausset has been the desert peak muse for my friends and I, his name is on a bunch of the registers back to the 90s, so it was sad but fitting to find out he passed on this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Another year, another time taking a friend up Whale Peak who hasn't been. Almost stepped on a new friend while coming down the canyon.