Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

If I lived in a lovely state for gun laws I'd probably just get a .357 revolver of sorts and a lever action carbine in the same caliber. That and maybe a decent surplus bolt action rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

I've got a 30/30 lever action that I love. Never tried it with those poly ballistic tips I've heard about though.

You can shoot a lever action ridiculously fast with skill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsexKLYtCkI

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'd go Shield if you want it for CCW unless you're a giant. I have a 9c and I love it, but it's not really all that concealable for me.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

For CCW I have a Kahr CW380 and a SIG P290RS. The CW380 had huge reliability problems that required 4 trips to the factory to solve, so I'd probably not recommend going with one. But the gun itself from a size and shootability standpoint is amazing.

The SIG on the other hand is slightly larger and shoots very well, although the trigger is extremely long and heavy like a double action revolver. Great little gun though, pretty much the smallest good quality 9mm you can buy. I'd have probably got a Kahr PM9 if not for my experience with the CW380, although if SIG makes a striker fired version of the 290RS, I'm buying one in a heartbeat.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

suboptimal posted:

Real talk, anyone have experience with the Ares SCR? I live in a van city (DC) so this is about the only thing I can get AR like performance out of.

And no, moving to VA is not an option for me.

Rent a storage locker in VA?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

BigDave posted:

Any thoughts on the Bushmaster XM15-E2S? I'm thinking about making the plunge and getting a scary black rifle. :tfrxmas:

BCM.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

not caring here posted:

Fox River socks. Always Fox River socks. There may be better out there but I have never had socks that last so goddamn long.

Hearing protection my wife and I use these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T7QJ9O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's better out there but for the price they are pretty aces.

There's no loving way you'd catch me wearing a plate carrier but I'm sure someone else can help.

Eh, I switched to only wearing good quality (REI, Darn Tough, etc.) wool boot/light hiker socks. They're so much better that I threw away or gave to homeless people all of my Fox River socks.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm looking to try some local carbine/pistol matches so I put together a duty belt to hold a few AR and handgun mags. The belt just came in the mail today:

The BFG AR mag pouches were on sale for half off, but they're MOLLE and not belt models so they seem to sit low and flop around a bit, so I suppose I should pick up a MOLLE to duty belt adapter of sorts to fix that. Pistol is an M&P9c with 17 round magazines w/ X-Grip adapters to make it have a full size grip. I had the Safariland ALS belt holster laying around and it seems to be well suited for this.

Seems to be pretty comfortable, although I've never owned or used tactical anything other than an issued IOTV or IBA w/ FLC. The weird mag pouch arrangement is due to my being cross dominant; I shoot long guns right handed and handguns left handed.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 31, 2017

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I absolutely love my Aimpoint H1, although that's probably more cost than some other options. Every bit as functional as an Aimpoint Comp M4 and way smaller/lighter. You get what you pay for with Aimpoint, their poo poo is nearly indestructible.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Smiling Jack posted:

What is the loving deal with the AR charging handle I mean god drat maybe I just need practice but it is a pain in the dick to use

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-s/123.htm

They're not super gimmicky looking, just a lot stronger and hav better grip than the stock one. I've got the small latch on mine, which is perfect. My upper came with it, so I dunno if I'd drop $50 on a new charging handle personally. I don't think stock charging handles are all that bad.

Also, I'm assuming you're a right handed shooter; how are you manipulating it? One finger? Two fingers?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

ARs are way more fun and useful for multiple purposes (plinking, longer range shooting, etc.), plus you can build a cheap one for ~$500.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

If you still have a military ID (not sure if IRR counts, depends on the dealer I suppose) S&W has a huge military discount. Just go to a S&W LE dealer and you can buy their LE SKU guns. I think it's $450ish for an M&P with factory night sights and 3 mags. Plus sometimes they have a $50-$100 rebate on top of that.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Are the Plano cases that bad? I have a (I think 42"?) for my AR15 and it seems rather solid; I wish I'd have gotten the next size shorter tbh though..

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Thank god I don't live in NY or CA.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

This is why I like the Great Lakes region. You've got Chicago (Which IMO parallels NY, LA, and other global cities for cool poo poo to do), Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Madison, etc. all as great cities to live in while we're able to have nearly unrestricted firearms ownership to include all NFA items (as long as you're willing to store them in WI). The natural beauty of rural WI/MN and Lake Michigan/Superior is amazing. Really the only bad things are are the sometimes miserable winters and a lack of actual mountains.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

If you're still in and have an ID you can go to most law enforcement dealers and buy LE SKUs which are usually cheaper and come with nightsights as well as extra magazines. I know S&W and SIG do.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm going to throw out my oddball tiny CCW gun as a suggestion (not my photo):

SIG P290RS. Probably the smallest good quality 9mm micro gun out there (Dimensionally it's almost the same as a Kahr PM9). It's a little different though, the trigger is very long and heavy similar to a DAO revolver. One of the benefits though is that it has an extended magazine that gives it the grip length of a Shield. I think I paid $380 with three magazines and factory night sights.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Speaking of HK clones, I want one of these real bad to SBR: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-pistols/zenith-z-5p-9mm-pistol-detail.html?Itemid=0

Although I don't know how they can justify $1700 for one. It would be hard to pay that vs. $600-$700 for a modern CZ Scorpion.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The Rat posted:

I have one of these (pics in the box thread I linked a few pages ago) and honestly if it weren't for the mag ban here in CO, I'd prefer a CZ scorpion Evo or a Sig MPX at a fraction of the price. And those two lock open on empty.

Yeah, realistically the best option right now seems to be to grab a Scorpion pistol for like $600-$700 or whatever and file a Form 1, then pop the stock on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyGj1CXZOwg&t=27s

The Magpul stock + Scorpion SMG :fap:

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkunPln3piQ

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 25, 2017

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

not caring here posted:

Yeah, it's not the best feeling in the world not having your firearm function correctly.

I find it a good excuse to just go shoot some more rounds because it's good fun.

If you like to tinker with your gats a caliper is always good especially if you're trying to find out things like if you've got a questionable magazine. Or figuring out why a replacement part won't fit.

Yeah, my Kahr CW380 had to go back to the factory 4 times before it would function right. At least on the last time they gave me $60-$70 worth of free magazines. Such a great little gun when reliable, although I'd have a hard time buying one of their products again. On top of that my SIG P290RS had a dead front night sight while my S&W M&P 9c had a front sight that was loose and slowly drifting off the gun.

All three of these guns had these issues in the same month. :saddowns:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The front night sight on my P290RS is dead for the second time. :saddowns:

I have zero luck with handguns.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I hope if one good thing comes out of this crazy timeline the Hearing Protection Act or something similar passes. Gonna put cans on everything.

Not in California :lol:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Removing suppressors from NFA would be cool but really I just want federally enacted CCW reciprocity. That's like one of the sole good things I see the GOP Congress doing in the next 4 years.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Body armor isn't illegal (maybe under some wacky state law)?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The Rat posted:

Took Waldo on a brief hike today. :geno:

The bottom sort of reminds me of southern AZ, I need to go wherever this is.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

That has to be an airsoft or something.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Uh if my doctor started rattling off conspiracy theories I'd demand a new provider immediately.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Why hike with the AK out of curiosity? Bears or something?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you can't manipulate the slide, you probably shouldn't own a semi-automatic pistol.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'd really love a .22 pistol. One of these: http://www.ruger.com/products/markIV2245Tactical/models.html with a suppressor would be tons of fun I imagine.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So apparently the ATF reversed their stance on shouldering pistol braces magically making the weapon into an unregistered NFA device.

In theory now this pistol or similar weapons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4n50Kcfrfc can be legally fired from the shoulder.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Are you using the issued harness? I got an Ops-Core harness from RFI and that poo poo owns. If I lost it and I were still in I'd probably pay the $65 or whatever for the stability and comfort especially when NVG are mounted.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nah, it's just their H harness I think? Like a normal one except way more comfortable/stable and significantly easier to adjust.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

They've been in the works for a while, the ATF is well aware of them.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nice.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://myservicerifle.com/product/troy-gau-5aa/

On the subject of retro guns, I really want this along with a Nodak M16A1 clone. There's just something cool about retro AR platform guns that aren't full of a bunch of ridiculous stuff.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Does that apply to vets or only actively serving military? I've gotten some steals on LE priced handguns, but that's with an active military ID.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

You can get an M&P or Glock for that much.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Dumb question, but did you have an empty mag in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I have an M&P compact and the slide lock is somewhat hard to manipulate if you're using it wrong to drop the slide. Just slingshot it.