Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The 2nd or 3rd gen on up have a popup OLED viewfinder and probably a marginally better sensor. The latest gen has a much longer 35mm equivalent zoom range (24-200 I think, older ones are 24-70). Newer ones also have better autofocus, video, etc: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Cyber-shot_DSC-RX100#Model_differences

Personally the RX100V sounds the most appealing to me since I'd rather have the shorter zoom range with a larger max aperture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Hard to go wrong with a Sony A6000 for that price, although it's not weather sealed. It shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't have it in a downpour though. The kit lens is tiny and actually has reasonable optical quality considering the price.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

what makes it special over another IR laser? (seriously, have no idea what that is)

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

They're (hammocks) way more comfortable to sleep in though, at least for me.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

EBB posted:

That's beautiful

Yeah, seriously. What was your camera/lens/exposure settings if you don't mind me asking?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

Mission Beach was lovely. This case from a Portra 400 roll.

drat, this makes me want to get my currently decoration only Pentax ME going. Needs new light seals and I have no idea if the electronics actually work.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I already have a mirrorless setup, playing with film would be strictly for fun. Really though I want a full frame mirrorless of similar size to a Pentax ME:

Roughly similar in size to my APS-C A6000

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 9, 2019

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Icon Of Sin posted:

Riding an airboat through the swamps is definitely a cool experience, but I can also see the rationale behind “if boat sinks, I’m alligator food”. There’s an abandoned nuclear missile silo near the Everglades visitor center that they run tours to, and those kinds of things always draw my attention. There’s a handful around the country you can actually go scuba diving in, if you look around. I know of at least 2, one in TX and one in southern WA.

You can go to the Titan Missile Museum outside of Tucson without getting wet or near alligators.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

One from Yellowstone today.

goddamn

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I scored this https://www.amazon.com/ZOMEi-Tripods-Digital-Cameras-Release/dp/B013YDWR46 for $20 over the weekend. I wasn't expecting much but it seems pretty solid given the incredibly low price. Granted I'm not going to be using it with a heavy pro level full frame camera w/ a huge lens, but it should be pretty adequate for my lightweight APS-C mirrorless.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

poo poo, I bet you make COL pretty quickly when Trump starts WWIII right before you get out. What are your feelings on brigade command?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

ya but you're concealing literally an MP5k.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I went on an artificial white water course last year and had some basic instruction. If you can get over being flipped upside down in the water while attached to the kayak and not panic it's sort of cool.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Sony A6xxx w/ their super tiny 16-50mm kit lens would probably do you well. That plus a good prime (Sigma 30mm f1.4) would probably do you well. You should be able to find an A6000 body for dirt cheap locally, the lens goes for $100ish on eBay.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I was out for a night bike ride in just about the darkest spot I've seen in this area and happened to have my Rokinon 12mm f2.0 (basically /the/ astrophotography lens for APS-C e-mount) and a Manfrotto pocket tripod so I gave it a go. Nothing spectacular (although almost none of these stars were visible to the naked eye) but better than I thought since this was taken in a county of 1 million people and only 10 miles from downtown:

That's as good as I could get the sky to come out in post processing but I'm sure someone who knows more of what they're doing could do significantly better. Anyone gently caress around with astrophotography here?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, the out of camera JPEG was significantly more exposed, the one posted here was me playing with the RAW file for a few minutes before I went to bed.

I’ll load the RAW into Affinity and see what it can do vs. the
stock Apple photos app on MacOS.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The Rat posted:

Nice, looking forward to seeing the rest of your pics. Banff always looked gorgeous, but with my uh, photographic constraints, I don't know if I'll ever go. Luckily there's Glacier and North Cascades that provide some similar terrain here.

My next trip probably isn't until Thanksgiving timeframe, probably down into the Southwest again. Still ironing out the details.

spraypaint a rubber duck?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced hard shell jacket? My 10 year old cheapo North Face HyVent shell is disintegrating into flakes of whatever the membrane material is made of. I’ve decided to stop being fat in the winter and do winter bike commuting/rides (i.e. 5-20 miles) so I’ll need something to replace that.

I was looking at this https://www.backcountry.com/outdoor-research-interstellar-jacket-mens which seems to get great reviews and I can order it for roughly half price (FYI, mil/vets can get a poo poo ton of outdoor pro deals from ExpertVoice).

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah I just bought some sweet Salomon goretex winter hiking boots for like 50% off on there.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Today was the last day of the season for one of the public beer gardens by me, beer was half off and there was a cyclocross race going on so I took some pictures:

This poo poo looks fun and also ball breaking.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 2, 2019

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Does anyone else have a winter beater bike?

This thing is :krad: to bum around on, especially when there are chunks of ice and snow to deliberately run over like a child.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

why

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

that's why you get studded winter tires (you can see the carbide studs in my picture if you zoom in on the tires)

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I know there have been a couple high profile cyclist fatalities in Chicago recently (afaik there was one in Wicker Park a few days ago) but it's actually one of the safest cities for cycling on a per capita basis:

https://www.vox.com/2014/4/18/5621388/pedestrian-and-biker-deaths

Personally I'm jealous of the on street infrastructure CHI has compared to here in MKE, although we've got a really nice off street path network + low speed parkways all over the city up here. At any rate denser cities are far safer for cycling than just about anywhere in most post-war suburbs on account of much narrower streets and vehicle speeds.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 11, 2019

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

that's only going to work if you have disc brakes though, and I wonder how long it actually works before the ties come off. My two Schwalbe studded tires were like $70 total.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://palladiumboots.com/collections/mens/products/75349-076-m

I have the same pair and color and they own.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Re: shell chat

I picked this up a few months ago: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/mens-interstellar-jacket-271501 (If you go through Expert Voice you can get a fat military/vets discount on Outdoor Research). While not Goretex it's made of a high end proprietary waterproof/breathable fabric that seems to be very well reviewed.

So far it loving owns, I'm trying winter bike commuting here in Milwaukee (so freezing temps, high wind, some rain & significant snow) and it has yet to leak a drop of water. It's very breathable and extremely light, even with an insulating layer it's not going to be really warm so I wouldn't recommend it for non-aerobic use. For active poo poo (like biking) so far I've managed a 15+ mile bike ride in the low 40s w/ a bunch of wind and rain and I stayed completely dry under it. For biking it's been great over light layers (it's really trim fitting so you're not fitting much more than a fleece) like my old ECWCS waffle top down to the low teens. A+ would buy again as a shell for cold/wet aerobic activities, it'll probably be great as a rain jacket come warmer months too based on how waterproof & breathable it's been so far.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 27, 2019

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

There are enough people with NVG and IR lasers to do a night match? Heh.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The Rat posted:

Man that would have been great, I didn't think of that. I just thought Arby's, cause... Arby's.

Also I just traded my TC Encore 308 for this

The trigger/sights are in the mail along with some ammo. This isn't going to be a high volume shooter at all, just for use in case an angry large mammal is about to trample and/or eat me. In the mountains I mean, not at Walmart.

A 10mm Glock is probably the only Glock I want to own. Nice.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

goddamn I need to go there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah I've got these https://www.rei.com/product/127770/salomon-quest-4d-3-gtx-hiking-boots-mens as well as a similar winter version and they both own. Will definitely be buying more Salomon boots. There's a super solid military discount on them too.