Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Smiling Jack posted:

Don't get the XDS

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Smiling Jack posted:

Price point isn't much improved over the Glock and it has a grip safety. Earlier generations has serious reliability issues.

NYPD just authorized it for off duty so I assume reliability issues were mitigated, but it doesn't do anything a Glock doesn't do better.

I've never held a Glock that felt comfortable, so they're out right off the bat. I borrowed a Shield a couple of weeks ago...it shot well, but didn't feel especially well put together.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

22lr would probably meet your needs just as well, but yeah, .223 is fine. If you have prior shooting experience, or want to hunt, there are more optimal calibers out there, but they are all more expensive to feed than a .223. Any particular brands that you are looking at?

That's what I was thinking. 22LR is much cheaper for ammo and probably the rifle itself.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

But how much will they slow me down when I'm out 'softin?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

sky shark posted:

Unless you are hunting or otherwise involved in shotgun shooting sports, there's no reason to own a shotgun anymore. Rifles are better in every way.

Home defense.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I actually have a hard time believing that.

my kinda ape posted:

Just pulled the trigger (heh) and bought my first big boy rifle off gunbroker. A PTR-91 GIR.

Guess I should probably find an FFL sometime today??

A good idea.

My first rifle was from gunbroker...a 1944 US-issue Garand with what appears to be the original furniture. :3:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's definitely interesting. Gonna have to watch a bunch more youtube videos of dudes shooting stuff with guns I don't have.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Pesticide20 posted:

Just want to throw out that by larger I meant frame size, not caliber. Not that I'm opposed to getting something in .45, just was wondering what's decent these days, as every time I look at pistols I almost feel overwhelmed by the options.

Get a 1911. Unless you're a loving communist/terrorist sympathizer.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've only put about 3k rounds through mine, but that seems exaggerated. I've never had to do more than a standard teardown for cleaning/oiling. It's a little more complicated than, say, a Beretta, but if it's not your first time cracking open a pistol you can probably figure it out without youtube.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Found a semi-local gun range that has a great selection of pistols for rent, and there's a price break at three. What is the difference between the Glock 30SF and 30 Gen 4? I see a bunch of contradictory nonsense on various forums, but on Glock's own website the specs are loving identical and so are the apparent features in the images. It's not the same photo, but it might as well be the same gun pictured twice.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

No, I can only handle so much self-fellatio before I lose interest and re-proclaim that I'll never own a glock. But this page actually has some side-by sides of the standard G30 and the SF, AND a description of the difference. The SF's backstrap has 3mm taken out.

Fake edit: :lol: Nevermind, the Glocks run $200-300 more than the Springfield and M&P I'm looking at.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's basically what I'm doing, if I go with the M&P, but the price is actually a little better than that. The XDS will be about 450, the various G30s are 650+.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've never seen one of those or even heard of it until now. I recommend finding a place that carries them and let her handle it. Even better would be finding a range that'll rent one out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A few of their models are built on old hardware from other companies. Taurus bought an old Beretta factory and continued operations with the same tooling and workers, just rebranding the product as the PT-92. I've actually heard the reliability is good, though.

Edit: Here's a pretty interesting review of the Curve.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 3, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Went shooting today. Also found out that a medical marijuana card is a DQ for a concealed carry permit until the card expires + 1 year, because in the eyes of the ATF, you're admitting to addiction to a Schedule 1 drug. :what:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Who makes a good hard case? Rifle and pistol sizes. Obviously Pelican, but I really hate the pricetag, but I also don't want to drop a cool $50 on a Plano that's going to shatter after 8 minutes of UV exposure.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A Pelican long enough to hold an M1 costs about 40% of what I paid for my M1.

Edit: I'll probably end up doing it, but I don't want to give up yet.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 15, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Voted 5.

Rented a used XDS 45 yesterday. Took a while to get used to the trigger, but after I did I got a lot more accurate; I started off really low. Also the first time I've used fiber optic sights...a little different, but quicker to get used to than the trigger. The recoil was kind of surprising, I think because the M&P Shield uses some kind of dark magic to suppress the recoil, so I was expecting something a bit more like that. Logically, of course this little guy is harsher than a full-size 1911.

The Shield wins on price and recoil, the XDS wins on overall comfort, build quality (the Shield I shot was brand new but felt as rattley as the most beat-to-gently caress M9 I ever qualified on), ease of magazine loading, and Springfield's giving away 4 mags with any 45 purchase for the next couple of months.

I think I'm still leaning toward the Springfield. Once I got used to the trigger and the recoil, I found myself enjoying it. Definitely going to need to practice, whichever one I end up with.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

What ammunition do you guys like for 40? I've mostly shot Federal and Remington for long guns. Federal gets kind of expensive.

For killing sheets of paper? I usually go with Winchester's white box stuff that's cheap and available everywhere. I've never had a problem in...I dunno, 4000 rounds or so. If I'm going to carry, I've just stuck with Hydra Shok.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Even though I loving love upstate NY, the SAFE Act crossed it off the list of places I'd live.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Advice request:

SA XDS .45, $425 + four free magazines (not sure what capacity)
or
M&P Shield .45, $345 + $72 for three extra 7-rd mags, $417 total

I wanted to rent both, but nobody in town has a Shield .45. :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

sky shark posted:

Why .45 over 9mm? More bullets = better than, and the Shield 9mm is so thin & easy to conceal.

A few smaller reasons that, individually, wouldn't be deciding factors. I already have a 45 but no 9mm, and I want some commonality among my guns. So far nothing I own shares ammo. I'm still not thrilled with 9mm ballistics. I know, it's generally fine, but so is 45. And I was considering the 9mm, but then this Shield sale hit so I'm back to my original preference. The 45 is only .04" wider, so that's a non-issue.

And if I don't like it, I can flip it and probably make a profit on either of these.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ack. Ok, so that mil/LE sale on M&P 45 Shield...they've got the other calibers and various other options on sale too. If you back up the menu a bit you can see the other brands. I don't know if anyone's in the market for something like that, but $325ish for a 9mm or 40 Shield seems pretty legit. You can find them for the same price on gunbroker if you're patient, but they usually go for higher.

Great. Now I really need to decide what I want.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Asking the store to hold the gun until my CCW comes through so I don't have to pay an extra background check fee. I don't care about the check itself, but I hate paying for something that I'll be exempt from sometime next month.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Put 100 rds through the Shield 9 today.

:feelsgood:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Goddamn, steel targets are expensive. :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Rat posted:

For real, easily worth the weight penalty for the time you save walking back and forth to check the target.

Oh I don't care about that, I just didn't want to spend $500+ to have a handful of small targets set up. But I also don't want to deal with the kind of fragmentation/ricochet risk you get with non AR steel.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It stands for "abrasion resistance." The hardness of the steel is listed as AR400, AR500, etc. The higher the number, the harder the steel. Generally for handguns AR500 is good enough, AR550 for most rifles. You want the bullet to shatter on impact, not have any energy absorbed by the target. The fragments spray off radially almost 90* out from the angle of impact...I think there's about a 20* or 30* window, though. AR400 or other, softer steels will flex enough that the bullet may not entirely shatter, and can send fragments toward the shooter or spectators on the line. Thickness also plays a role...seems like most of these targets are about 3/8" thick. If you go too thin, flexing is again a problem.

Edit: Steel core or penetrator ammo is a whole other can of worms.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Bought a bunch of lumber to build a target stand. :)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hey, so that M&P Shield I just bought is now $245 after a $75 S&W rebate. :smith:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Suicide Watch posted:

Can the bunch of you guys who own plate carriers post photos of yourselves wearing them over your blazers? preferably wearing raybans with hands in pockets if you can. thanks in advance

This, but Oakley Gascans.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

loving TFR got me looking at night sights. Goddamnit. Truglo makes some interesting stuff, but not for the Shield it seems.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mike-o posted:

That's pretty sweet, I've got a thing for unmolested M-16s/Vietnam era looking ones.

Same. If I ever bother building an AR, I want one like that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

S&W offers its discount to disabled vets, AD, guard/reserve, and retirees.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

McNally posted:

Is there a percentage minimum for disabled vets? I think most of us rate at least 0% and that still somehow qualifies.

Edit: I looked up the discount and while it's open to disabled vets, AD, guard/reserve, and retirees, in order to get the discount you have to provide an LES or a copy of your orders.

Which a disabled vet ain't gonna have, lol. Well done S&W.

You can probably get by with a VA document. Or find one of their dealers who knows what's up.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I like the Beretta. Some new grips make a world of difference...I love shooting it now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You just gonna stand there and watch me float here, or give me a hand rear end in a top hat?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You overpaid by about $100 compared to what was happening last month. But don't feel bad, I did too because I bought a month before prices went whatever the opposite of ballistic is.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's not a slide release, it's a slide lock. You're not supposed to do it that way (which is dumb, I think).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Almost broke my brain when I realized (a season later) that Erin from The Office was Blowjob Girl.