Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

M_Gargantua posted:

Should I buy a nice bolt action or an M1A, while dealing with CT restrictions.

Get both? Remington 700, M1A and get a 10/22 takedown for cheap ammo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Well is the cost worth an M1A over an nicely finished 700? Which leads to recommendations for necessary accessories. I've got 22s and shotguns already.

Answer is "depends"

What do you want the rifle to do? Honestly I'm not a super fan of the M1A; these days AR-10 variants are much nicer and take the same accessories as your various ARs. If it's for hunting only, yeah, just go for a bolt action 700 in whatever flavor.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

For concealed carry a Shield in 9mm is awesome. Super thin, light weight, accurate, and loving cheap as hell. That said, if you can at all conceal a Glock 19, consider that instead. The Shield is 8+1 by default, the Glock 19 is 15+ 1. The Shield conceals extremely well.

There's a growing number of people running around with what's known as a "Roland Special" - Glock 17/19 with a SureFire light, mini red dot sight, threaded barrel with or without compensator. The preferred carry method for these boat anchors seems to be appendix IWB. It shoots flat as hell, but goddamn $2k for a carry pistol is out there.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

The M1A is a romantic notion that has been obsolete for 50 years or so. It's been superseded by better rifles, like the AR-10. Define what your objectives are for the rifle, and there's a ton of choices to be had. Heck, the civilian version of the SASR is available now.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

redneck nazgul posted:

Any experience with the Steyr M9-A1 or their other variants? I've handled the standard model at a gun store but haven't had a chance to actually try putting rounds through one yet. I really like the ergonomics and grip of it, though I realize that it'd be hell to get any sort of holster/spare parts for one.

Concealed carry is not just the gun, so you are right to be concerned about holsters & spare parts - spare mags are essential too. Do yourself a solid and check out the Shield & Glock 19 before you buy a Steyr. That said, nothing wrong with buying a gun you like and rolling with it as long as it's reliable. If you love it, invest in 500 rounds of ammo and make sure it works, then carry away.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

The next Signature weapon in Far Cry

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

what are the good brands

i honestly have no clue when it comes to this stuff

Handguns: Glock, S&W M&P models. Stick with guns popular with police departments, stay away from .40S&W and go with 9mm as modern defensive ammo in 9mm is great and there's a reason why the FBI is switching back from 40 to 9 (more ammo = better than).

AR style rifles: Colt (except their entry level ARs that just came out), FN, Noveske, BCM, Daniel Defense. Look for companies that actually have NSN & military contracts.

Bolt actions: Remington 700 (pick your flavor of 20+ variants), Savage rifles are a great budget option, AI if you are made of megabucks

AK rifles: I used to be an Arsenal fan, but wow are they pricy.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^
This. 10/22 is literally the best rifle for plinking. Hell, buy yourself a 10/22 takedown with a threaded barrel and if we are all lucky, the Hearing Protection Act will pass and you can buy a nice .22 silencer for it to make can blasting even more fun

LingcodKilla posted:

When limited on magazine size (typically 10 rounds) what's your opinion on going with 40 over 9?

When limited to 10 rounds, get the biggest bullet you can. .40 is ok in this instance if you need to conceal and want something like a Glock 27, but I'd seriously consider a Glock 30 or 29 instead. Load up on spare magazines, carry at least one as magazine failures are one of the most common reasons for malfunctions and I think everyone here agrees that real life isn't the square range with stationary paper targets?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/05/nypd-authorizes-registration-of-ares-scr-rifles-in-nyc/#axzz4XD9XDxWZ

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Oh poo poo I forgot about the Ruger Precision Rifle as a bolt gun. Ruger came up with this budget sniper platform by having their engineers hang out on the SnipersHide forums and mining them for information. By all reports this gun is astounding and it can hit out to something like 1800 yards or something crazy with 6.5 creedmore.

Considering that I can't remember the last time I saw clear terrain past 500 yards, it's not for me, but it's definitely a rifle I'd consider

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

I have a SIG MCX, and it's pretty nice. The collapsing stock wasn't available when I bought mine, I'm debating replacing my side folder with the collapsing stock. Cheekweld with the sidefolder sucks, but the compact size is nice. I will probably be replacing the ambidextrous safeties with nicer ones as I'm a lefty shooter. The MCX was designed to be suppressed from day 1, which is a big reason I bought it.

That said, they have a recall going on right now to replace the bolt carrier assembly & firing pin to replace the floating firing pin with one that prevents slam fires due to a spring.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Are you putting the weapon on safe before moving? Reload could def use work, did the match have rules for reloading on the move?

Anyone have tips for safety manipulation as a left handed shooter?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

The blue force gear plateminus carriers are awesome; super light weight and thin. The SOC-C belt is nice too, though I have heard good things about the HSGI warbelts. How much crap do you want to carry though?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Also hearing pro - a lot of the instructors out there are rocking the same Sordins / Peltors you guys have been issued. Peltor has come out with a set of rechargable in-ear active hearing protection units for each ear that are expensive but nice - http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...92682142&rt=rud

I'd worry about one falling out and losing it though, so I use my muffs.

SHOT show has seen various forms of in ear / hybrid hearing protection with various comm capabilities. These guys have a set that you can plug your iPhone into so you can protect your hearing while on the phone with 911 - https://www.silynxcom.com/store/headset-systems/clarus-pro/

No idea how it works with the new Iphones that don't have headphone jacks

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Plate carriers have become popular because people have realized that rifles are much better than shotguns, which are much better than pistols. If you are carrying a rifle, you should have some spare mags, and if you are carrying spare mags, you might as well have rifle plates underneath. A plate carrier setup lets you have 120-180 rounds, a med kit / tourniquet and unlike soft armor it doesn't wrinkle or degrade if it is in your closet or trunk. For a while there were scads of SAPI / ESAPI plates available via Craigslist / eBay, and if you are frugal you can get new manufacture , quality, name brand, (not AR500 steel bullshit) LVL IV standalone plates for $200 a pair... that can handle multiple hits of 7.62x54, .30-06, and more, let alone 9mm & 5.56

Throwing on the plate carrier isn't likely to happen in a home invasion situation, but it's one of those handy things to have during civil unrest, and since we've been at war for 15 years, there's a generation of vets who have the "better to have it and not need it" mindset.

Let's not pretend that the vast majority of the civilian owners haven't bought them for anything other than "I want to pretend I'm an operator when I look in the mirror" tho. Also for some reason the cult of crossfit has decided that exercising in a plate carrier is a good thing

sky shark fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 31, 2017

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

There are / were number of companies that make IBA conversion kits that change them from front opening to side entry, add an internal cummerbund and generally improve the dumpster fire that is IBA. The question is, will your chain of command allow you to use a conversion kit or personally owned carrier.

Also you don't want a canted holster. Holsters should, when possible be worn at your strong hand centerline. Canted holsters are for concealed carry under coats. A straight draw holster on the side of your body is going to be the fastest draw for you wearing armor - and it should be as high on the belt as possible and still clear your setup & allow for a proper & clean drawstroke.

https://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/video/holster-angle-placement-004480/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFz6in_EkT4

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Unless you are hunting or otherwise involved in shotgun shooting sports, there's no reason to own a shotgun anymore. Rifles are better in every way.

I'd really suggest getting a 10/22 and a couple 500 round packs of ammo and practicing the fundamentals.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Godholio posted:

Home defense.

Shotguns are terrible for home defense. Shotguns are heavy, have punishing recoil, and every pellet you send downrange is a potential lawsuit. "You can't miss with a shotgun!" is bullshit - Shotgun spread depends on the type of barrel you have, but typically is somewhere between .5" to 1" per yard of travel. Look at the furthest point you could conceivably shoot from / to inside your house and credibly say your life was in danger. Typically that's going to be an interior hallway, maybe some 20 feet away. Your shotgun pellet spread will be roughly 3.5-7", which is plenty of opportunities for 00 or 000 pellets to miss. Making it worse, your average Remington 870 / Mossberg 590 comes with a lovely little brass bead front sight, and no rear sight. You can spend more for a HD shotgun that has ghost rings or a 1913 rail for optics, but at that point you definitely should have bought a rifle.

Operating a shotgun is something that takes a lot of training and practice to do effectively. I don't know what your level of skill is; you could have been breaching all day, or running around with a M1014 in Iraq or something, but for most people, they are not willing to invest in the time & practice to become proficient. The pump action is incredibly easy to get stress induced malfunctions, with the most common being "short stroking" - leaving your shotgun inop.

Finally the Walmart special is going to be probably 3+1 or maybe 6+1 if you get an extended mag. Many home invasions have 3+ intruders, typically armed themselves, who will be firing back at you. A "click" when you want "bang" is not a good thing. Reloading a shotgun under stress is not easy either.

The shotgun has been romanticized in movies & TVs with the iconic "clack-clack" to let the viewer know that poo poo's about to get real. That's Hollywood. The reality is that they are long, heavy, cumbersome and not great for people who aren't experienced with them. If you are willing to get trained up, be my guest. Make sure that your wife / significant other can run it as well, and ask her what she prefers afterward - the AR or the shotty.

Shotguns have their purposes. I'm considering buying one of these for a "truck gun" because there's times where a 14" barrel comes in real handy - https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590-shockwave/

My first choice for people in my house will always be a rifle.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

sky shark posted:

Handguns: Glock, S&W M&P models. Stick with guns popular with police departments, stay away from .40S&W and go with 9mm as modern defensive ammo in 9mm is great and there's a reason why the FBI is switching back from 40 to 9 (more ammo = better than).

AR style rifles: Colt (except their entry level ARs that just came out), FN, Noveske, BCM, Daniel Defense. Look for companies that actually have NSN & military contracts.

Bolt actions: Remington 700 (pick your flavor of 20+ variants), Savage rifles are a great budget option, AI if you are made of megabucks

AK rifles: I used to be an Arsenal fan, but wow are they pricy.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Colt recently came out with an Expanse model AR that you should stay away from. The government model M4s have to meet military spec from the factory and get much more testing & meet tougher requirements than the average Bushmaster, Remington, DPMS or whatever.

Military issue service rifles will not have great triggers straight from the factory. The specs call for a certain trigger pull weight, not a smoothness of action. I can't comment on the rattle though, or upper to lower fitment; from the factory that should be pretty tight. Unless the rattle is from the M4 stock and sling swivels?

I forgot to add, for a home defense rifle don't go out and buy surplus SS109 ammo. There's much better stuff on the market. Reading material: https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/#mozTocId803443

For further information, Primary & Secondary is also a great source for knowledge. They have a FB group and their own webforums.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Also, you can consider not even bothering with irons and going straight for a rugged red dot if you choose. The Aimpoint Micro T1 is the king of mini red dots these days, followed by the Comp M4s (civilian version of the M68). The army spent a lot of money studying sights and found that red dots speed up hits on target by 50%, which is the reason why the M68CCO exists. Do not cheap out on optics. DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON OPTICS. It is perfectly acceptable to spend as much, or more, on glass as you do on the gun itself, depending on the purpose. I am a huge proponent of commonly available batteries, so I will push AA over a CR2032 / CR123A option almost everytime with the exception of the T1 because it's just so small and light.

Rat, this may interest you - Remember that pic of a T1 with what looked like a AA battery compartment? A little bird told me at SHOT that it is actually a AAA battery, and that they were contracted for a certain number of pieces... that contract will be completed some time in Q2 this year and we may see them available after that..

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

If you can't afford a decent AR, get a decent pistol, because 9 times out of 10 if someone comes in your house you are going to be calling 911 while aiming for the door anyhow. You can get new 9mm Shields for $389, police trade in Glock 17s for $399 or 19s for $369 and save money... and at least the pistol you can carry concealed.

Now that the election is over, there's bargains to be had, because a lot of people maxxed out their credit cards thinking that Cilnton was going to win & assault weapons would be banned. Putting together an AR is slightly more complicated than lego sets so there's nothing stopping you from buying a decent stripped lower receiver, buying a complete upper set up the way you want, and then buying a lower parts kit however you want it and saving money over a prebuilt gun that may have options you don't need. Bud's Gun Shop sells the Colt OEM rifle for $785 - https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/2679/COLT+LE6920-OEM1+CAR+5.56+16+NO+FURNMT

This is a complete rifle, minus handguards, trigger guard stock and carry handle, which are the parts people usually discard and replace with whatever they want. You could toss a B5 SOPMOD stock on there for $60, Magpul handguards for $28 and a Craigslist KAC or whatever BUIS you want, $10 trigger guard and have a complete rifle for under a grand.

Another option is a pistol caliber carbine, or those funky "pistols" that have "stabilizers" or "braces" - the CZ Scorpion EVO 3 is around $700 from various retailers, and is plenty compact for use in a house. Put a brace on it and promise that you'll never, ever, ever shoulder it should you have to use it in an emergency (because that's a felony) and you have a PDW

sky shark fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 1, 2017

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Nope sign offs were eliminated with 41F. You just mail a notification letter. You don't need a trust either.

You should still get a trust. A trust is a smart move for any NFA items; it's less than the cost of a single $200 transfer tax, and will allow anyone in the trust to have possession of the NFA item. Your wife has to shoot someone in the house? No worries, she can use the suppressed Glock 19 you have for that. Your brother wants to take your suppressed shotgun or rifle hunting? No problem.

Plus if you keel over and die, the NFA items remain in the trust and aren't confiscated pending the disposition of the will.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

FNX45 Tactical is pretty huge, and has 15 +1 in .45. A lot of the pistols these days are going for interchangeable backstraps to better fit your hands: Sig P320, HK VP9 & 40, Glock Gen 4 models, etc.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Spend more. If you have $300 as your limit, buy an Aimpoint PRO if you can find one. Aimpoint Micro T1 or Comp M4s otherwise. Cheap glass won't hold up, and while huge strides have been made in stuff from Holosun and the like, it still breaks

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Larry Vickers had this to say about 1911s

quote:

The 1911 is an enthusiast’s pistols. In order to keep that gun running you have to, it’s not optional, you have to become your own armorer to a degree. You have to be able to diagnose and fix minor problems on an end user level. If you’re not willing to sign up for that, frankly you have no business running a 1911 for anything other than occasional recreational shooting. If you’re going to put yourself in harm’s way with that gun and you’re not willing to sign up for that, then you need to avoid it.

Of course he was pimping the HK45 he helped design instead, but the point is that the 1911, while iconic, is a gun that will require more maintenance & care than a garden variety glock

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

SquirrelyPSU posted:

So it seems like if I go down this road I should just get a shotty with like 50 shells and then upgrade to an AR clone if I actually shoot the drat thing. Does this seem reasonable?

e: also would appreciate make/model/quote

If you can't afford a used Glock 19, then get a shotgun - Remington 870, Mossberg 500 or 590. Buy a shitload of ammo and learn how to run it, and learn how to handle it inside your house.

If you can afford a Glock 19, but not a quality AR, then buy the Glock and some spare magazines & a good holster & belt.

If you can afford an AR, buy an AR, and a dozen or so magazines (unless you took more home when you ETSed), then a quality red dot.

Also invest in a small & bright flashlight to keep with your pistol. Something like 70% of shootings take place in dark environments and with cheap AA / AAA lights coming out of China for $30 with 100+ lumens, there's no excuse not to have one.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Glock does the same thing for LEOs and active duty / retired MIL with their blue label program - https://us.glock.com/bluelabel

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Nobody makes a rechargable USB AFAIK. Closest you could get is by buying a AA or 123A powered one and using rechargable batteries in it.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

I can understand the argument for additional regulations on machineguns and actual destructive devices like mortars, RPGs and other explosives. Not saying I agree with the argument, but I can understand it.

Silencers though? People need to understand that silencers wound up being restricted because the NFA was done in the Great Depression & people were poaching because it was either illegally shoot a deer or your family starves.

Silencers are literally safety devices. No more, no less. The uniform & lockstep opposition to deregulating them from the people who scream about "common sense regulation" and "firearms safety measures" really shows their true colors.

This whole movie nonsense of a 3" can making a pistol go "pew pew" is the same silly bullshit that makes them believe that a shotgun blast will send someone through a wall, or hand grenades make fiery red explosions. A parallel example is the federal ban on switchblades which came about not because of actual crime or anything horrific, but after the movie West Side Story.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Someone doesn't want their agency disbanded.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

For those looking for armor: http://www.skdtac.com/FirstSpear-STT-1-Armor-Package-p/fsr.910.htm

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Why .45 over 9mm? More bullets = better than, and the Shield 9mm is so thin & easy to conceal.

FALs are so loving cool.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

At $325 you're foolish if you don't go for the 9mm shield. Are you going to carry a spare mag? If so, get a couple of these and you'll have another 4 rounds: https://hyvetechnologiesbuilder.com/index.php/product/shield-9mm-2/

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Make sure you break your SIG in. It took around 750 rounds for my .40 226R Elite to lock back on an empty mag.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

I don't know what was wrong with it - either the slide / rail fitment was too tight or the recoil spring was too strong or a combination of both, but it wasn't cycling fully and as a result would not lock to the rear on an empty magazine. Didn't matter what magazine was used, it was consistent across all of them until around 750-760 rounds, at which point it began to lock back regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Coming from carrying my USP which was smooth like butter even after 10k rounds through it, it was jarring to have a firearm not working right out of the box.