Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I keep this in my bookmarks for every time someone is considering an M1A: http://looserounds.com/2015/01/30/the-m14-not-much-for-fighting-a-case-against-the-m14-legend/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

M_Gargantua posted:

So should I be looking around for an old 700, or is there a new bolt action king in .308

If I were looking at new bolt action .308s for a precision rifle purpose, I'd take a hard look at the Ruger RPR.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

What's your optics budget?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

~$800 baring obvious advantages that an extra few hundred would get me.

This is a good basic scope in that price range. First focal plane mildot reticle, mil adjustments: https://www.natchezss.com/scope-tactical-3-15x50-mil-adj.html

Your next step up would be a used Bushnell HDMR for $1200ish or a new Burris 4-20 XTRII w/ H591 reticle in my opinion. I really like mil-based reticles and I really like Horus stuff.

e:

Bolow posted:

Where does Armalite fall in the spectrum of AR's?

I hate to phrase it this way, but they're kind of has-beens. I know they're still in business, but I can't remember the last time I saw one on a shelf or heard of them producing anything new or innovative. Their product line is stagnant.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 30, 2017

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Nah dawg the MCX is the 5.56 rifle. Different from the subgun MPX.

I haven't seen anyone bring an MCX out to a match, so I have no input there.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Had fun at my first pistol cal carbine match over the weekend. I think my main points that need improving are safety manipulation, visual patience on the sights, and reload technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8CkkJSCZro

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

There were a couple times that I spaced putting it on safe before moving, purely because the safety sits differently than it does on an AR. Need to practice that more.

Reloads with partials were allowed in that match. I'm just not used to that habit since I primarily do IDPA. It was just a one time PCC match unfortunately, not a regular thing. Can start using the K in IDPA specialty division though, so that will be fun.

Also thinking about getting a Navy lower since it looks like it has a smaller circumference grip.

Lefty, I dunno. Short of ambient safeties, I use the part of my palm by my first finger knuckle to push it on fire so that I don't have to flip my thumb over, but then I don't often shoot lefty.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

ReebTop posted:

Is this also where we can talk about general geardo stuff because oh boy do I need some recommendations.

Like a good plate carrier/belt setup, hearing protection stuff. And socks. Mostly socks.

For plate carriers, I have used the Crye JPC and Paraclete SOHPC and like them both. For a war belt I am happy with the Blue Force Gear SOC-C. Will post pics and more details when I get home.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

FastestGunAlive posted:

Cool man. I've always wanted to try out this kind of stuff but have no idea where to start. If you got tips, post em. And if anyone is familiar w comp/match shooting near lejeune (lol rip my life) let me know

My experience so far has been mainly IDPA and 3-gun. IDPA is just pistol and thus easier to get into from a budget perspective.

Honestly the biggest thing is to just show up with what you have. All of the matches I've been to are very friendly to new shooters. I try to invite people, but they tell me they aren't good enough yet. Which to me sounds like "well I can't go to the gym until I'm in shape." The whole point is to improve, so just show up, have fun and learn what you can from others and from honesty self reflection of your performance. The only person you should be competing against is yourself, last match.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

sky shark posted:

Also hearing pro - a lot of the instructors out there are rocking the same Sordins / Peltors you guys have been issued. Peltor has come out with a set of rechargable in-ear active hearing protection units for each ear that are expensive but nice - http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...92682142&rt=rud

I'd worry about one falling out and losing it though, so I use my muffs.

Seconding this, Sordins and Peltors own. Just be sure to get the gel earcups. Very comfortable.

Now that I'm home and on my PC I can go a tad more in depth regarding plate carriers.

The Crye JPC is ridiculously lightweight and comfy. Used it on my last contract where I only needed armor for convoys and flights going out to FOBs and VSPs. I don't know that I'd want to put much weight on it in terms of mags, pouches, etc though. It was a great improvement compared to the IOTV that was issued to me in terms of comfort.

The SOHPC/SOC-C belt combo is what I used on my first contract, and what I continue using for 3-gun. (Mainly because I don't want to by a full 3-gun rig.) I like it because it has soft armor in the belt and the plate carrier's cummerbund, so I have more coverage with that. Also having the PC/belt setup means that the weight of my stuff is distributed pretty evenly between my shoulders and my hips, rather than it all being on my shoulders like an IBA/IOTV. I actually prefer the belt soft armor to the belt foam padding that comes with it by default. Sits more solidly on my hips. The other benefit to the belt/PC setup, at least for the purposes of that contract, is that I could keep the belt on at all times and have the radios with me, along with pistol etc. If the team got a call, I just had to throw on the PC and I was ready to go.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

http://www.skdtac.com/Paraclete-SOHPC-SKD-Spec-p/par.106.htm

This version doesn't come with soft armor in the cummerbund, hence the lower price than the original. But you can still buy soft armor panels and put them in there if you want. (Of course you still need plates too.)

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

What's your purpose and budget?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I'll sperg out when I get home. Too much to type out on my phone.

Long story short, basic home defense would be roughly $900ish (irons, light mount, good light, MOE furniture). From there, the sky is the limit.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Ok, now that I'm home, cheapass but still functional general purpose/home defense AR.

Complete lower, $150: http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar15-complete-moe-plus-lower-black.html
Upper, $370: http://palmettostatearmory.com/mid-length-pencil-premium-madness-16-cmv-chrome-lined-stripped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html (PSA premium/CFH uppers are decent. I wouldn't buy their PTAC/Freedom lines, though others have and they haven't blown up on them yet.)
Bolt carrier group, $90: http://palmettostatearmory.com/palmetto-state-armory-5-56-premium-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group-8779.html
Charging handle, $25: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-m16-charging-handle-438.html

That puts you at $635, not counting shipping.

From there, add your choice of iron sights, a sling, and a light. These are all largely based on user preference, and will cost you an extra $100-250 depending on what options you go with. (I like Magpul backup sights, Blue Force Gear VCAS or Magpul MS1 slings and Surefire Ultra Scouts for this purpose.)

You'll need mags too, but if you're in GiP you probably have some aluminum 30s left over, right?

Beyond those basic essentials, it's all a matter of how you want to spend your money. Optics? Free float forend? Nice match grade trigger? Better barrel? The list goes on. :suicide:

What sky shark said regarding the good brands is accurate. I've never bought a complete AR15 since I've always pieced them together myself, more out of being a parts-picky gear queer than anything. If I wanted something solid off the shelf, it'd probably be Daniel Defense. And even then I'd replace the fugly stock and grip.

(Side note keymod is dead, all hail MLOK.)

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Christ don't tell me that, I can't afford to upgrade/replace the five Micros I already have.

On the topic of home defense ARs, here's an older picture of mine. Only current difference is it's wearing a Surefire 5.56 MONSTER can instead of this one.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

my kinda ape posted:

Cost aside, are there any real life disadvantages to a heavier barrel other than the obvious increase in weight (and changes to the balance of the gun)?

Weight is the main disadvantage. Only disadvantage in my book really. I tend to prefer heavy barrels since they don't open up shot groups with heat as quickly, and they also have much less POI deviation when mounting a can when compared to a lighter barrel.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

In that price range, for that kind of gun, I'd go with a Vortex Strike Eagle myself.

1-6x scope, $329 iirc.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Agree, shotguns and ARs are apples and oranges as far as the types of shooting you do with them.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I'd like an AR that has the short stroke piston action versus the Gas operated direct impingement system. I had a silenced HK-416 variant with a forward grip and I forget what PEQ/Optics but I loved the gun when I was playing cowboys and Indians in Afghanistan and Iraq. I wasn't a door kicker, but I had to go on a lot of missions for SSE / Battlefield interrogating.

Is buying a civilian H&K the only way I can get that piston action? Or do other manufacturers make similar products?

Christ it's gonna be pricey to get an H&K and then a long wait and even more money for a silencer. Plus whatever optics I decide on.

Oh god all my money.

Is it also NFA to get a really short barrel too?

The thing I loved about having a suppressed weapon was that I didn't need ear pro when practicing on the range. I'd like that again as a civvie.

There are other companies that make piston uppers. LWRC is the top dog outside of HK, then there's Sig, Adams Arms and some others. I used to have a LWRC upper, but I sold it because it wasn't as accurate as I wanted and the recoil impulse was very noticeably sharper than a direct gas AR upper. It ran cleaner, sure, but about the same time I realized that my direct gas uppers were running just as reliably. (I keep my guns well l00bed and don't clean them often.) And then there's the whole replacement parts commonality thing.

Supposedly they're better for short barrels and can use. But I have both and have done just fine with direct gas and regular oiling.

That said, suppressed short weapons are fun as hell. I still keep my earpro on for anything supersonic though. Yeah there's legislation introduced, but I honestly don't see it passing. But then I didn't see the current election results happening and welp here we are.

(147gr 9mm is subsonic by default, and that out of the canned 5K there is FUN ON A BUN.)

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Let us know how you like it once you get it!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Also be sure that the mounting screws all have loctite on them, especially with a heavy recoiling gun like that.

Scope mount position is personal preference; I usually get prone and set it based on my eye relief in that position. As long as it's close enough that you have a good sight picture, but not close enough that it's gonna smack you in the face under recoil, it should be fine.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

They've already added a question about it to the form 4473: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/atf-form-4473-firearms-transaction-record-revisions

And I dunno about other states, but here in CO, any firearm transfer must go through the regular FFL background check, even at a gun show. It's been that way even before the 2013 background check laws.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

and of course, everyone has followed that law. even tho theres plenty of gun shops that refuse to do a 3rd party background check

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying I agree with it, just saying that's what's currently on the books.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

As penance you should go buy a stripped AR lower.

Then you will know the pain of analysis paralysis as you try to figure out what the best cost/performance on every drat part is.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Finally got the Mini Scout light that I had been waiting on, now the K is fully ready to get bizzay.

Once I can get some nice daylight pics, I'm gonna drop a gigantic fat dump of a box thread in TFR for this and all the other ridiculous poo poo I've gotten in the last few months.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah, SBR and silencer stamps. It's a .45 can, but still works on 9. Totally hearing safe outside, the ring of steel being shot is louder than the sound of the gun itself. (I'm running 147gr rounds which are subsonic by default of course. There's an audible crack with 115gr rounds.)

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah, just one trust. Have dad and a couple brothers on it too. I went on a splurge about this time last year due to the impending ATF regulation 41P (now 41F) mandating photos and fingerprints for all trust members with any new Form 1/4 applications past 13 Jul 2016.

Not because any of us are shady or have anything to hide, but because getting my family to do anything is like herding cats.

Of course at this point they've eliminated the CLEO approval requirement for individuals doing NFA paperwork, so you don't have a leg up having a trust anymore. Same photo/fingerprint requirement either way.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Mawp

Mawp

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I did a thing guys https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810535

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Zeris posted:

Do you have a job

Well yeah, how else would I afford to feed all this poo poo?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

DoktorLoken posted:

Speaking of HK clones, I want one of these real bad to SBR: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-pistols/zenith-z-5p-9mm-pistol-detail.html?Itemid=0

Although I don't know how they can justify $1700 for one. It would be hard to pay that vs. $600-$700 for a modern CZ Scorpion.

I have one of these (pics in the box thread I linked a few pages ago) and honestly if it weren't for the mag ban here in CO, I'd prefer a CZ scorpion Evo or a Sig MPX at a fraction of the price. And those two lock open on empty.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Untagged posted:

I've been thinking about getting a CZ Scorpion EVO 3 Carbine (folding stock), but at about $1000 it still seems like a lot of $$$. A 9mm rifle sounds fun though. Confirm/Deny?

As much as I bitch about my K, it's fun on a bun to shoot. Especially suppressed.

Of course it has almost no practical utility, but then I have that base covered by other guns.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I just got this one out of gun jail last night after waiting since last May:

Short of any drastic legal changes, this will be my last NFA item.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

It's a LAS/TAC 2 IR. Does what I need it to do, nothing fancy.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

For real, easily worth the weight penalty for the time you save walking back and forth to check the target.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

That's why I have a bit of API on hand. Never know when you might have to smoke a Decepticon.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

It would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm already full up on cans anyways, so it's a moot point for me.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Maybe now I can stop spending stupid amounts of money on gun stuff. :suicide:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I think he meant hi point maybe?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KjQk244oW9c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Surefire X400V-B-IRC. Can swap between visible 350l light and IR light, and has an IR laser.