Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Luckily I don't have that problem, so I can buy all the silly gun stuff I want. :smug:

:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Took Waldo on a brief hike today. :geno:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Northern CO. This was at Red Mountain open space.

Hopefully have another short road trip to eastern Utah coming up at the end of the month, but not sure how many Waldo pics I'll get.

My next big goal is to hike Waldo to the bottom of the Black Canyon.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

That's at Red Mountain open space in northern CO.

Chiricahua national monument was my favorite part of Arizona.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Got Waldo out a bit today. :toot:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Scruffy's gonna die like Scruffy lived.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Coupon posted:

This is the best rendition of Where's Waldo? I'm almost embarrassed to post my lovely iphone pictures of range trips. What are you shooting the images with?

Half of them are with a Canon T3 with 10-18mm wide angle lens, half are with my old Motorola Moto G 2nd gen. The phone has an HDR mode for pics. Sometimes the phone gives better results, sometimes the camera does. I just take a bunch of shots with both and eventually some of them turn out ok.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Mine are left over from contracting. I keep wearing them for 3-gun because the thought of a double velcro belt and some skin-tight spandex jersey covered with brand logos just doesn't feel right to me.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You do realize you could probably throw that on gunbroker and make at least $2-3k off it, right?

e: I'm not even kidding, there's one up right now with 6 bids currently at $3030 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/634232313

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I love Trijicon HDs, have them on four of my Glocks. Wide U-notch rear and a bright as hell front sight.

Google says they make them for the Shield too.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Can somebody explain to me why pistol lights are so expensive? Like the TLR-1 is $100 for just a flashlight, and it's another $150 on top of that if you want a laser and get the TLR-2. What gives?

Could be worse :suicide:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1205721-REG/surefire_x400v_b_irc_x400_v_irc.html

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

This was the hardest hike I've done in ages. Did it a couple summers ago in 4 hours; today took me double that due to all the snow and required snowshoe use. Not to mention losing the trail several times and having to go up numerous 45 degree inclines in snowshoes. Thank goodness for heel lifts. Didn't do my usual thing of scrambling all over the place for photos because by the time I got to the top I was feeling beat to poo poo and it was cold and windy.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Beats the hell out of dying broken, alone and senile in a nursing home, right?

And I mean I do keep a tourniquet taped inside the triangle folder on the AK.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

It started out just in case of bears or whatever. Then I started taking AK in nature pics as kind of a joke. Then it escalated from there. Now I feel weird if I'm hiking without it. It's kind of my photo stamp to show that I was there.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I finally managed to sell my Sig 522, so now all my .22s have cans on them. :toot:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Different pads can help, but counterweights will help a ton too. I did an 8 mile hike with dual 14s and thanks to the counterweight, my head felt fine during and after. Won't go without them now.

The Wilcox amber filter helps with eye strain as well.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Vaguely considering one of these Franklin Arms binary triggers for my suppressed .22LR SBR. Stupid idea, or awesome idea? Or both at the same time?

https://vimeo.com/208240887

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

OTOH, a handgun is all the healthcare most of us are going to get after the next decade.

Beats the hell out of dying decrepit and alone in a nursing home though.

Man this thread got dark quick.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

:toot:

First moose I've seen since Alaska :neckbeard:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

:lol: I didn't even notice that.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

:toot:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Reposting this as ordered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVEHHpA9lUY

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

BUG JUG posted:

these are the goddamn best part of this thread.

Aw thanks :shobon:

I never know where else to put them, because they don't fit well in most places. The hiking subforum thinks I'm weeeeeeird for some reason :haw:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The only one from that last batch that I was really a dick on is the sun facing side of the Corona Arch. There were some Euro tourists there, so I went all the way up and put Waldo at the base of the arch, on the left side of the photo. Can't even really make it out due to the distance, just looks like a crack in the rock.

That was more from not wanting to freak out the Euros than actively being a dick though.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I've only been on one date in the last nine months and it was an outlandishly comical disaster. :suicide:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I normally try not to go on e/n benders, but this one is comical enough that I'll let it slide.

A couple months ago, I started talking to this woman from a dating site. She seems like a total catch. Smart, cute, outdoorsy as hell (does 14ers all over the place for fun), and doesn't want kids. After a few days of talking, we decide to go hiking for the first date. I picked a spot called Vedauwoo that I had been to several times before, but that she hadn't. The area is known for its large rock formations and fun rock scrambling in general. Here's some pics to give you an idea. (Not taken that day - as incompetent as I am, even I know that bringing Waldo on a first date is a bad idea.)

So, she drives up from Denver, we meet and carpool there. When we arrived, there was still some snow on the ground that I hadn't anticipated. The rock formations themselves looked clear, just most of the ground still had an inch or two on it. We started hiking and scrambling up one of the larger rock formations.

After we hit the top and were starting to come back down, she slipped on a patch of clear ice in some shadows, fell 15 feet and broke her ankle.

I had to carry her out over a mile. 640 feet of it was that nasty downhill rock scrambling type terrain that would normally be fun to traverse on a hike. Having to carry someone added a huge layer of complexity. I had to pick her up, move her downhill to the next rock ledge, set her down, run ahead and scout the route down, repeat until we hit the base of the rock formation. By then we had run into some other couple who thankfully helped us out by carrying our packs, and I piggybacked her from there. This whole time I was really impressed with her because she kept a cool head and didn't lose her poo poo once.

Once back at the parking lot, drove straight to the ER in Laramie. They did X-rays and said it was a solid bi-malleolus fracture. Drove back to CO, got one of my brothers to help out by driving her car back to Denver for her while I drove her back in my car. (It was her right ankle, and she drove a manual anyways.)

She said that her parents drove over from a neighboring state to pick her up and take care of her for the recovery period. She was fine with me sending flowers before the surgery. After the surgery, she said that the fracture was worse than the X-rays had showed, and her recovery time would be longer than expected. Oh, and that she wasn't feeling a connection and didn't see us dating.

:suicide:

She said she was fine with being friends, but comms dribbled out anyways. So who knows. She said she didn't blame me at all for what happened and that she was very thankful for what I did, but I can't help but feel bad. She would have been much better off had we never started talking to begin with.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yep. She sent me X-ray pics right after the surgery and my first thought was "my god, it's full of screws."

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Professor Bling posted:

So you're saying you screwed her on the first date?

that was a really bad joke

The nurses at the ER were making a bunch of jokes too. "Oh think of the stories later, she fell head over heels for him!"

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The funny thing to me is that guys at the local 3-gun match often hate the stages I design, because I often throw in heavy duffel bag carries as part of the stage. The gamer shooters often don't like it because it throws them out of their usual routines.

Guess what was good training for when some real life poo poo went down!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

New gun time because terrible impulse control sometimes :suicide:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I thought the Ordo Reductor mainly rocked phased plasma and grav-flux weaponry?

Nah man that's the Adeptus Mechanicus insignia. At least, the one I found that would be easy to stencil out. There's no way I could do the versions with all the ornate circuitry.

This thing isn't even done yet. Still waiting on an offset Aimpoint Micro and a Surefire Ultra Scout.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Aero Precision upper and lower
Magpul SR25/M110 buffer tube
Magpul SL-S stock
Vltor A5H2 buffer and recoil spring
Brownells lower parts kit w/o trigger or grip
Magpul MOE-K grip
Geissele G2S trigger
Blue Force Gear Vickers sling
Ballistic Advantage 14" Hanson barrel
Surefire muzzle brake (suppressor mount type, pinned/welded in place for NFA compliance - I'm not blowing a tax stamp on a gun of this size)
Geissele Mk14 rail
Magpul MLOK handstop kit, type 2 rail panels and QD sling socket
Trijicon TAO1NSN ACOG

Still waiting on:
Surefire Ultra Scout
Magpul MLOK offset light mount
Aimpoint Micro T1 2MOA
Larue LT-724 offset Micro mount

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Got those parts I was waiting on, and the scope for my 16" gun.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Near instant transition between a zoom optic sight picture and a close range red dot. All I have to do is rotate the rifle slightly in my shoulder either way and I'm there. Don't have to take my left hand off the gun to work a magnification ring like on a scope.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

It doesn't necessarily ruin a close range sight picture, but it's definitely going to be slower than a red dot. And I'm a huge gearqueer sooooo :suicide:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

That's an option too. I didn't go that route because you have to change your cheek weld in order to shift between them. With the offset, I keep the rifle exactly as it is, cheek on the same spot on the gun, and rotate a little.

Either way the downside is cost. You can get offset irons for a lot cheaper too, but I hate shooting irons in general, let alone in a quick shooting kind of scenario like that.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Did a two day 3-gun match this weekend. 3 stages afternoon, 2 stages at night, 3 more stages the next day (two of which were the stages we had shot at night, but in daylight for comparison's sake.)

The biggest impact on night shooting performance for most guys (beyond basic fundamentals etc) was how bright their flashlights were. Lots of guys had jerry rigged flashlights onto their shotguns, cheap lovely ones that barely reached at all. As a result, they had to search a lot more for the targets. A couple of the lights kept going back and forth between normal, strobe, and SOS mode with each shot, since they weren't built to take recoil. poo poo was like being at a rave. One guy even duct taped one of those old school D-cell maglites onto his shotgun.

tl;dr have a good loving light on your gun if you want to shoot at night.

I'm tired as gently caress today as a result of all this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giqWXdxiaTs

I tried to do some shooting with nods on the night stage with rifle, but given the overcast skies and total lack of starlight or moonlight, it really sucked.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yup! And it still didn't help when trying to hit 8-12" targets out to 75y, or full size silhouettes at 100. Without any other light source, there was no visible shadow or contrast behind the steels with which to identify them.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

This is the story of a canyon.

And a rifle.

And madness

This is from an overlook, looking down on the long draw route. Do you see?

This is the kneeling camel. Do you see?

This is from the bottom of the SOB draw route. 1.75 miles one way, 1800 feet elevation difference.

My mandate also includes weird bugs.

Those weird bugs flew all around above the river like dancing fairies, giving the place a very ethereal, otherworldly feel.

Looking down the SOB draw. Photos don't convey one bit the sheer amount of drop. One must be very mindful where every step goes. As I was coming up, I heard climbers above yell "ROCK!" I looked up, saw a plume of dust coming from the canyon walls, and heard a shattering echo rolling down. I had enough time to duck and cover behind a large rock while several other rocks clattered and cannoned overhead.

But wait, keep your fork, there's PIE. This is from the bottom of the long draw route. 1 mile, 1800 feet elevation difference.

Looking straight up from the bottom of the long draw.

Looking down the long draw. This route is more straightforward than the SOB draw in that there's only maybe 50-60 feet between the walls. Nowhere to go but down or up. The picture still doesn't convey the steepness at all.

Exclamation point, just past sunset.

The dragons of the painted wall before sunrise. Behold, glory given form, carved from the very flesh of the earth by eons of chaos.

This morning I drove around to the south rim to try and hit the Gunnison route down, only to be told that all the permits had already been taken. I was somewhat disappointed, but my legs were secretly relieved.

This is me right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v8seRt_cSI

And tomorrow will be even worse, because it's always worse the second day after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Two Finger posted:

yo rat those are some good-rear end pics

Thanks, glad you like them. Definitely wasn't easy, especially doing both of those hikes in the same day. Today the fronts of my thighs feel massively sore, but strangely enough not the squatting muscles. Guess the downhill wore me out more than the uphill, which is surprising.