Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

I just noticed the new thread name and thought I'd share some photos of my most recent backpacking trip. Went to Medicine Bow National Forest, WY and State Forest State Park, CO in early September.

Edited to fix my wonky imgur links

MonkeyWash fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The Rat posted:

Aw poo poo that's my neck of the woods, are you from around here?

No, I lived in Colorado from 2015-2017, I am now in Kansas, unfortunately. I just go back as often as I can. Usually go to the Grand Lake area in the spring for the baby moose and the fall for the elk rut. My wife and I have a Promaster Van that we converted into a camper, and we travel as much as my back will let me.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The Rat posted:

Aw dang, Kansas.

Your middle image doesn't seem to open up when u click on it on my phone. Nuts to thumbnails, drop those in full resolution! They look gorgeous.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I legit want to try and stalk elk and try and take photos of them

The National Elk Refuge near Grand Tetons NP is a great place to catch them, they migrate through in the spring

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Icon Of Sin posted:

So I just discovered this thread, and have some underwater pics to share.

Those are really neat! I'd love to see more

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Went to the salt marshes in Quivira National Wildlife Refuge, KS today. There were thousands of sandhill cranes and snow geese pass through. Also saw quite a few bald eagles. The eagles would spook the geese and wait for a collision and then feast, was fun to watch.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Great picture! I love that area, but have never been in the winter!

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

I love those Glacier pictures. Its on my list for next year. In April I'm going to head to Big Bend NP, then head north through New Mexico and Colorado. Probably do Glacier in late summer, early fall. I really miss the mountains.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yea looking at an early May trip during the week.

My wife and I spent a week in Moose, WY near Grand Teton NP in Spring 2017. We were there the last couple of days of April, first of May. Jackson Hole was in the off season and wasn't very crowded. Most of the trails were still snow covered. We did see a lot of wildlife, grizzly, moose, elk, etc. The park wasn't crowded and there was plenty to do.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The Rat posted:

I'm not at all familiar with the west side, so I can't comment there.

I'm familiar with the West Side. There are some great trails there as well.

Adams Falls is a short hike on the North Side of Grand Lake that is still in the park, The falls are nice and you can continue on the trail for 7 miles past more falls to a lake with consistent moose sightings.

LuLu City is a trail leading to a ghost town but there aren't really any structures

Tonahutu Creek Trail is a 13 mile trail that loops around forest and meadow, have seen quite a bit of wildlife on this trail

Great question. No idea. Trip isn't till July. Any suggestions?

Are you camping?

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I realize most people here are dudes but does anyone have recommendations for womens hiking pants? My wife gets really frustrated looking for hiking stuff because most brands don't take into account hips. Currently my wife has to use running tights

My wife usually hikes in running tights with a hiking skirt for pockets. There a few brands out there, my wife likes craghoppers. Seconding REI and Sierra Trading Post. Women's outdoor clothing is a bit of a poo poo show though, especially for off sizes and if you need pockets.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Went to Bosque del Apache a couple weeks ago and caught the Sandhill Cranes passing through.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Shelldon is a v good boy.

Got my America The Beautiful pass in yesterday. So far for the year the following parks are a go:

Joshua Tree
Grand Tetons
Yellowstone
Rocky Mountain

That's great! I have the Lifetime Pass and it's so worth it. Usually go to Rocky Mountain twice a year, but with all the snow this year, I may have to push my first trip back to July. Trying to figure out which parks I want to go to this year.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Glacier, for sure

Glacier is definitely on the list! The Rat, a couple years ago I went to Moab and hit Black Canyon on the way back. I went in April and nothing was terribly busy in either the parks around Moab or Black Canyon. Last summer I did a lot of hiking in Wyoming, mostly in Medicine Bow. Love the area, Wind River would be amazing. So much to see out there!

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The Rat posted:

Thanks for the burger place recommendation, I'll keep an eye out!

Other potentials for me this year are western South Dakota, the Tetons and Yellowstone and maybe SW CO.

Longer trips are still more up in the air.

Early April we're hitting Capitol Reef and Canyonlands. Have all trails and drive times plotted out. Hoping for good weather and solitude for more pics.

Western South Dakota is great. I spent a week in Custer State Park a couple years ago. Had a bison stampede right next to the campground, it was an amazing experience. Visited Wind Cave, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Deadwood, the Badlands, and hiked Black Elk Peak. Custer was a great place to stay.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The Rat posted:

Yup! Been there twice before and liked it, it's about perfect for a 4 day weekend. Would easily put Custer state park up against any national parks. Definitely more hiking there than Badlands.

I did prefer Jewel cave to Wind cave though.

This is what we woke up to one morning at Custer.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Those are great shots! Is that dream lake in RMNP? My wife and I were hoping to go somewhere different this year, but now it looks like that won't happen. We are heading to Colorado in a couple of weeks to help her friend move. Going to try to hit up RM Arsenal for the baby bison and burrowing owls. Then our usual stuff in Colorado Springs. I'm hoping to go back to Leadville and the Twin Lakes area in the late summer to summit Mt Elbert and Mt Massive again. It's hard to travel right now, our dogs are elderly and have anxiety.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Went to Great Sand Dunes National Park, Colorado last week. Watched the spring surge come in Medano Creek

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Pictures I took a couple of weeks ago in the San Luis Valley, Colorado

Deer in front of Great Sand Dunes NP

Elk

Crestone, Colorado

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

anyone here kayak?

I do, mostly kayak fishing now though. I am using one of these right now:

https://paddling.com/gear/pelican-international-bounty-100-angler-kayak/

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The Rat posted:

Lake Agnes at the blue hour.

Lake Agnes at night. Not sure how much I'm enjoying the night photography thing. It's a lot of setup and getting ate by mosquitoes while waiting, plus I rolled my ankle on the way back to my car. Plus post processing feels like a weird nut roll compared to normal light pictures. Was gonna do another hike this morning, but with my ankle still feeling out of whack I didn't think it would be a good idea to toss another 12 miles on top of it. :mad:

Great pictures! I was just there over the weekend, spent 4 days in State Forest State Park and then four days near Grand Lake. I brought my dogs so I didn’t get to hike much.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

I love the random yaks! That must have been so bizarre. When I was near Gould/Walden last week my wife and I spotted the wolf that's been around. No pictures since it passed so fast. It was a large black wolf with a tracking collar.

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2019/07/09/colorado-wolf-sighting-could-first-state-since-2015/1683487001/

Also like the columbine pictures, great shots!

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Anyone hike in West Glacier NP? I'm headed there the 9th-13th of September. I'm staying at a place that allows me to kennel my dogs so I'm open to day hikes.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Yea I was in that area last September. What do you want to know?

Looking for some day hike suggestions on the West Side. I haven't been able to hike in a year due to health issues, so hikes under 7 miles. How was the weather and crowds in September?

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Thanks for the information. Will definitely be hiking early, I like to see wildlife, not people. I use All-Trails but their rating system isn't that great. I've done some moderate hikes that were difficult and some hard hikes that were easy, that's why I was hoping for some personal experiences. Definitely appreciate the suggestions. I'll be staying in Columbia Falls.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Also High Line is a great test if you’re unaware of having a fear of heights.

Angel’s Landing in Zion is an even better test.

I'm not afraid of heights but I learned the wife is while we were hiking some rock fins in Arches, she froze up. Zion is on my list for next year. I've taken my wife gym climbing since then so hopefully she's not as afraid of exposure.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll post pics when I get back. I'm hitting Eastern Yellowstone on the way back. Hoping to photograph wolves in Lamar Valley.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

I convinced my wife to leave a couple days early so now we are going to hit up Grand Teton NP on the way to Glacier. Spent our anniversary there a couple years ago on May 1st. We were the first to drive the road to Jenny lake as it opened for the season, was pretty cool having the place to ourselves. We stayed at a B&B in Moose, WY last time, this time we are staying in a Conestoga wagon. She's worried about bears, I figure if I get eaten it's just the circle of life, I've had a good run.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Great photos, I love the waterfall. Thanks for the cave suggestion, I will be going by it so will definitely stop.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Thanks all for the suggestions fro Glacier earlier this year. I went to Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier back in late September. It was my first time in Glacier and it' was just stunning.

Obligatory Mormon Row, Grand Tetons

Avalanche Lake, Glacier

Lake Mcdonald, Glacier

Same lake the next day

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Great shots, as usual! I made reservations for State Forest State Park, Colorado in July for a week. Missed the moose babies in RMNP this spring, hopefully I can catch the Elk rut this fall.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The Rat posted:

Awesome! Make sure to hit up Lake Agnes while you're there, especially if you have reservations. The short trail there means that it's easy to get golden/blue hour shots.

Thanks, been there a few times, it's my go to during the busy season, that or out towards Lake City. Away from the crowds

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Went to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone NP a couple of weeks ago. It was my fourth trip to the area and I camped in Colter Bay this time. I had reservations in Yellowstone for a few more days but I saw little social distancing and few masks at Yellowstone so I cancelled. Grand Tetons is my favorite park for wildlife. Saw several brown and black bear, and the usual elk, moose, and bighorns.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The Rat posted:

Last time I was around the Chambers lake / Cameron peak area was 18 Jul when I took this one: https://i.imgur.com/wesiHMI.jpg

That area was stuffed with people, both car camping and hiking. Lots of the car campers were just pulled off the dirt road and had set up their tents right there, having fires and drinking beer and whatnot. There was even some group selling firewood right off the highway, despite the fire ban. I remember thinking as I drove by that was loving stupid.

I hope the fire doesn't spread much cause I love that area, but who the hell knows. :(

I love that area too and was actually just there on Wednesday. I went up on the road that goes North from Michigan Lake to the Moose Overlook/Horse Corral. There was hardly anyone in the area, mostly cows. Actually saw my first ring tailed cat in the area. My wife and I ended up leaving early because of the fires and smoke. It sucks to see it, we had even remarked on how dry the area is and with beetle kill too, it's terrible.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Great pics as always and I am actually surprised at the haze, it's not as bad as I was expecting.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

That is amazing, I am jealous lol! I have seen the wolves there a couple of times but they were being lazy

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

I'm thinking of taking off before the election and doing some BLM camping. Covid is uncontrolled where I live and I need a break from people. My wife and I are thinking of heading to the Cortez, Colorado area for a couple days and then on into Bears Ears and Grand Staircase. Maybe passing through Zion and Bryce on the way home.
I'd like to camp as much as possible. I have a 4 season tent, -20 sleeping bags, and a Mr Heater. Has anyone been in the area in November, are there any must see area I should go to?

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The Rat posted:

Yeah I have a bunch as far as the Utah stuff goes, I can type up some recommendations when I get home and have a keyboard in front of me. What length of hike do you prefer?

Oh, that would be great. Much appreciated. I can't hike too far due to health issues, also have two dogs, so short hikes, 4 or 5 miles max. I have been to Moab, Canyonlands, and Dead Horse SP in the past. Hoping to see some more remote areas that are camp-able in November.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

That's a great write up, thank you so much! I appreciate the tips and thanks US Berder Patrol, I missed that route on my last trip to Moab, that looks sweet!

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Internet Wizard posted:

I spent a night in Cortez when we swung through Mesa Verde this august and masks and distancing was not the norm there, if that’s a concern for you.

Speaking of nearby fires, the CalWood fire started about a 15 minute drive from me. Took a couple pictures the first night it was going. I’m hoping to be able to get up there this weekend and maybe take some pictures of the aftermath.

I will be wearing a mask and staying away from people. I know there are some risks, but unfortunately no one in Wichita is taking it seriously as the numbers climb. They just voted to open the schools up tonight. Part of the reason I want to get out to nowhere,

Those fires break my heart. I have spent a lot of time in Roosevelt NF, and in Medicine Bow. The Cameron Peak and Mullen Fires are insane. Stay safe, hopefully the front coming through will help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The Rat posted:

Looking at the Inciweb map of the fire spread, it's made its way down Spruce Canyon and hit Spruce Lake and Fern Lake.

Not at all surprised at Spruce Canyon going up at first opportunity, it was dense and full of deadfall when I went through it a couple months ago. I just hope Sprague glacier doesn't get melted from the heat :(

Looks like the towns of Granby and Grand Lake are getting proper hosed up too.

I listened to the scanner from Grand County on Wednesday night when the fire exploded. The local firefighters basically made a heroic stand and saved the town of Grand Lake with just the resources they had. The bigger crews weren't there yet. The winds were favorable for the town last night and it's ok so far. The fire was north of the town and went through Kawnauchee Visitors Center and the campgrounds (my favorite) around little columbine creek and columbine lake.

You've been there and seen the beetle kill, the fuel was just overwhelming and the fire ran twenty miles overnight. It's crazy.