Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Man, how have I missed this thread? Just noticed it.

I'm going on my first snowshoeing trip in a few weeks, hopefully I get some good pictures and don't freeze to death.

Going up into the mountains in the middle of winter is kind of intimidating for someone that grew up in Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Lena Lake, Olympic National Forest. Clouds rolled in low once I got up to the lake so no good mountain views.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Marmot Pass, Olympic National Forest

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Lake Constance, Olympic National Park

Hardest day "hike" I've ever done. More of a climb than a hike.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Thanks guys!

A SOF Marine posted:

Are those recent? I haven’t kicked off hiking season yet due to access concerns. Did you summit either of the Buckhorns?

Also, gently caress Lake Constance and that trail forfuckingever.

Do Lake of the Angels / summit Skokomish for a good time.

Yeah they're recent. All of the trail heads I've been to have been easily accessible, I go out to the Olympics pretty often because its just 1.5-2 hours to get to the trail heads on the eastern side.

I didn't summit either of the Buckhorns, by the time I got up to the pass some crazy weather was coming through and wind was blowing pretty hard and I was freezing my rear end off.

This summer I plan on climbing as many mountains as I can. Eventually I want to work my way up to the more technical climbs and finally summit Rainier, though that will probably be next summer.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

A SOF Marine posted:

Also, gently caress Lake Constance and that trail forfuckingever.

If one of my friends gets a little overconfident about their athletic abilities I'm going to take them out to Lake Constance.

I did it with a friend that's into ultra marathons so we pretty much hauled rear end all the way up and back down. No breaks other than to drink a beer at the top. I've never been so thoroughly broken off in my life. Spent the next week recovering.

It's not even really a "trail", it's just following red tags up a mountain. The top portion was under snow and a couple times I thought I was going to fall to my death if I wasn't careful.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The marmot pass photos were from last August, I haven't been up this year. Just posted those because I don't think I had shared those yet.

The top part of the trail up to marmot pass I think probably has some snow still.

The others were this month though.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Awesome pictures! I got some snowshoes over this past winter but never got a chance to use them since the Army kept sending me out of town.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

There's no way in hell I'd ever make major, even if I was staying in. I work hard and get results which my immediate superiors have always liked but I never go out of my way to get "face time" with the colonels and when I do I don't slobber all over their dicks. If they ask me a question I'll give them a straight answer rather than telling them what I think they want to hear.

Half the 1SGs and SGMs I meet I'll almost immediately not get a long with.

I'm just straight up not commander material, or at least not the kind of commander that the Army would want.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Went backpacking at the Royal Basin, Olympic National Park.

Got rained on right when we got to Royal Lake but got some good pictures in the morning.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Olympic National Park is interesting in that it's not a park you can just drive into to see the sights. Well, other than like the Hoh Rainforest.

Otherwise you have to be willing to hike miles uphill to get the views.

I still haven't seen the center of the park because it would take multiple days backpacking to get there and I haven't had the time off to do a trip like that yet.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Beautiful country, awesome pictures! I need to head down to the Southwest for a long weekend one of these days.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

As a former Florida Man, I can't recommend any "trails" in the Everglades as nearly every single time I've been hiking in South Florida the trails were flooded however I have never had more fun on a kayak than I have in Florida. I'm not sure there's any place on Earth better for kayaking than Florida.

Whether rivers, lakes, or the coasts Florida is an incredible place to go kayaking/canoeing. So much aquatic wild life. Tons of birds, turtles, snakes, and of course gators and the occasional croc.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Great pics! I really want to get out into the mountains but have been staying in Tacoma since the lockdown. Apparently Mount Rainier (which is in my county) is sort of open as long as you use backcountry trails to get into the park since the main entrance and visitor centers arent open. Going to have to do some research since I've never used anything other than official trailheads.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Not yet, though I was planning on making it one of my primary destinations this summer. If my dad still comes out in July it's where I'm going to take him backpacking.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Same, wish I had gotten a chance to see some sea turtles in the wild when I lived in Florida.

So I just subbed for the Adobe Photography plan which gets you Photoshop and Lightroom. I grew up drawing and painting and in high school got into digital art with photoshop but for whatever reason as soon as I went off to college I dropped everything artistic until picking up photography in the Army.

I also bought a drawing tablet/monitor to make stuff with. Pretty psyched to get back in touch with my creative side.

Looking back on it now, my 20's seemed to just suck the life out me as I just focused on trying to be "succesful" as I let the things that made me happy fall by the wayside.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Well gently caress. One of my best Army buddies just died over the weekend on Mt Rainier. He spent nearly every waking moment in the outdoors, I'm sure he did everything right that he possibly could have. He was one of the first guys I met at my unit and got me started going out into the mountains.

Stay safe out there guys.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yep, that's him.

There's still 2 other dudes missing up there too.

I see Rainier nearly every day as long as there isn't too much cloud cover, it's strange looking at it now and knowing one of my friends died up there.

He spent all of his free time in the mountains though, I can't think of a place he'd rather be if it was the last thing he ever did.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Back country skiing, he frequently drove to various mountains to hike up them and then ski back down.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I went out to Mount Rainier a couple of times but didn't get any good shots, even during the week there was a ton of people.

This is a beach I go down to every day that's near my apartment. Can't get over the natural beauty of the PNW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Holy poo poo this thread wasn't even on the first page!

Who's getting outside this summer? I know the east coast is smokey and hot as balls but it's been great out here in the Pacific Northwest.

Green Lake is a pretty nice bastion of nature here in the middle of North Seattle, I come here nearly every day.