Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I never understood why anyone would desire to see anything past the first Sharknado. You saw the gimmick, ha ha wow what a crazy thing that the tornado is throwing sharks, good for a laugh.

What are they up to now, Sharknado 5? Awful.
how did the thread get to this point without talking about any of the Syfy original movies? every last one of them are the epitome of forcing "so bad it's good" and each new one that comes out is worse than the one that came before it

edit: even the titles of the Sharknado sequels scream "hey, see this? yeah, you know we made 'em bad!"

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The best part of a movie like jaws is its sincerity. The movie had the simplest premise possible but, because it was made way back when, there were no dumb "self-aware" quips or other such hallmarks of this class of film. They needed a back story for "guy who really hates sharks" and instead of something over the top and silly you get that extremely raw, chilling monologue that ends up as one of the most tense scenes in the movie. The off-handed joke that "monsters in movies keep getting more outlandish", as lampooned by Sharknado, completely misses that the emotional core of such movies - the raw expression of human terror.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurolimal posted:

It really depends on if they actually like the stuff they're spoofing and/or have something to say about it. Black Dynamite was great about this, while Kung Fury was like "heres stuff vaguely related to the 80's. They're good, i guess?"

Yeah, parody usually doesn't work unless there's some fondness for the material it's parodying.

• Locked thread