Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Ah yes. Featuring the writing talent of Zach S, one of the shittiest people in RPG's and that's saying a lot.

Holy poo poo, did he invent FATAL or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Just burn all the anime

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

How is Valve even organized now? The response to this whole thing on Steam seems very confused. Don't tell me they're still doing that stupid We Have No Hierarchy setup they talked about years ago.

(And haven't made a game since they made a big deal about that, just sayin)

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

And that's why Half-life 3 will never be made. Unless it's some kind of weird knife sculpture smelling of weed.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Gynovore posted:

From what I remember, when HL2 and Steam came out in '04, Valve made a million trillion dollars and could do no wrong. They embarked on some hippy-dippy "employee empowerment" thing where everyone was their own boss and employees worked on whatever struck their fancy, which was great except that nothing got done.

I'm having trouble finding it, but there was an interview years ago with Gaben to the effect of "It's impossible to find enough people with the drive to make HL3 AND can talk literally everyone else into supporting them" with the interviewer adding his own written conclusion "... And because we have no hierarchy, no one can enforce discipline."

A more recent article discussed a former valve employee talking about how things had turned into a high school cafeteria. With no structure everyone just forms cliques and things stall.

They just don't seem to have the grit to force themselves to do it, or the structure to soldier through. Hierarchies and organizations exist for a reason, after all.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Klyith posted:

Anything valve does is gonna gently caress over the legitimate livelihood of somebody. Only an incredible pollyanna would think a human review of all new games wouldn't crush some number of games with bad or mistaken judgements of quality.

As far as the developers that make the games, the current system is probably the most fair you can get. Nobody is actually losing sales to trigger simulator or whatever other dumb poo poo. They're losing visibility, but even without the poo poo games there is just too much competition to have "my game is on steam" be your only source of visibility. And for those who have no budget or pull to get visibility elsewhere, at least you can throw the dice and hope your game gets organically discovered.

Valve should have let the post-greenlight shitwave keep rising for longer than they did. When they floated out the proposal for a deposit fee to put games on steam, the internet hot take machine attacked it as unfair rather than welcoming it as a savior from the shitphoon. so then valve puts it at the minimum from their spread and it's pretty ineffective.

"You can't charge money for developers! That's classist gatekeeping!" And then everyone died in a deluge of raw sewage mixed with anime.

Boy, I'm sure glad there were no barriers to entry.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Valve's goal for 2018 is to make Origin and the Microsoft Store look good, I see.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I just wish I could have been a fly on the wall for how this response was formed by the "no one has any authority" utopia system. Like how does something that tepid get put out by a supposedly brilliant group of people?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Alas, you had the insane notion that they would in fact take an interest in something besides tf2 hats and Dota money and show some loving signs of life. We've all been there. Sadly that will never be.

E: Actually now that I think about it, what the gently caress does Valve even do now? Not making games, obviously. But also not doing any kind of QA, or serious overhauls, or anything. What do they do all day? What goes on there?

Quicksilver6 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 7, 2018

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

They're collecting 30 percent off the top of a huge fraction of the entire gaming market, and occasionally releasing tech or demos that effectively become the foundation of a generation of game designs. Great work if you can get it.

I believe you when you talk about the tech and demos, but I'm really struggling to think of what the last big thing was from them... SteamVR? The Steam Controller? Steam Link? It's all kind of hazy to me after Portal 2... Is there like new system architecture or game engine tools they've been doing?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Just curious, can you defend yourself at all in Agony or is it yet another "You can't defend yourself because that's what Outlast did even though it makes no sense here" horror game?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Old Boot posted:

It's Outlast, up until the point that, yes, you can possess a demon. I don't know how early on you can manage that, though (I get the sense you're locked out of that particular feature in the first hour or so?-- I didn't watch for that long, only for long enough to form an opinion, and we've seen more or less how that ended).

Well that makes the game even more confusing to me - it's a power fantasy with no power but a lot of misogynistic overtones instead? Odd mix.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

All I know is that Umberto Eco wrote The Name of the Rose that got made into a movie starring Jesuit Priest Sean Connery

also there was a game inspired from that work called the Abbey of Crime available for free. Very much not a terrible game... though it uses dated game design elements like isometric perspective.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

It's not on Steam, but I recently saw some kind of import at a somewhat distant arcade that might fit here.

Apparently there's some kind of AKB48 House of the Dead esque lightgun game? At least it had the letters AKB48 pasted all over the cabinet. I can't read Japanese so I couldn't tell much besides the demo seeming to show the player characters were shooting zombified schoolgirls, whilst also being schoolgirls themselves, and I think it was supposed to be cute..? But it wasn't and just made me rather confused.

Lightguns + Idols seems like an odd mix, to say the least.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

This is the weirdest adaption of Videodrome I've ever seen.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Can't wait for the next bioware rpg to offer the options rear end GAS GRASS Mass effect style

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I am willing to accept busy work quests in exchange for artillery strikes, which the Minutement do indeed provide. As long as there are explosions involved I can be persuaded to do most anything.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

but that game's not awful? I mean it's Chasing the Dragon, the video game, but I seen worse.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I find Leisure Suit Larry being tall and recognizably human to be intensely disturbing, as is the notion that a fake Tinder app would not be used as a throw away joke to show what an idiot he is instead of a gameplay element.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Deadguy2322 posted:

The obviously-going-to-betray-you character

How loving dare you, Spider was a true American hero cut down by a madman. You apologize to his wife and son and tell them he died for his country right now, drat it.

Also, why in the name of everything we as sentient beings hold sacred does the LGBT Battlegrounds have high ratings? Surely there can't be that many imbeciles who actually think that's funny?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Like what the gently caress was even happening in that scene for the term for an entire type of sea life to be used

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Under what category should I be reporting that godawful NPCs game?

“An affront to everything we as humans have ever valued”

E: also “Gabe, please stop counting your money and try to care about something again.”

Quicksilver6 fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 16, 2019

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I don’t understand why Va11halla (or whatever) is so beloved when all of its dialog seems awful and it has heinous poo poo like the cheerful robot prostitute designed too look like an underage girl, who the player is supposed to find wackily endearing and not creepy/annoying as poo poo

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

And it has like a loving 98% rating along with a sequel. I know people love garbage but how can they love garbage this passionately?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Yes, an overwhelming consensus of people and websites praised it for its emotional story and dialog

Both of which were vomited from the depths of an anime convention

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

It literally has George loving Costanza appear and do a goddamn Seinfeld routine. Not like a copy or parody, it’s just him. It’s been like 20 loving years, maybe the writers could have done some fresher material.

QUICKSILVER’S GETTING UPSET.

Bee Movie would have been a more timely reference.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Really Pants posted:

Bee Movie but "bee" is replaced with DeviantArt OC background dumps

And it has a higher rating score than Half-life 2, Psychonauts and Witcher 3

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

On the other hand, holy poo poo did Lisa: The Painful RPG live up to its name AND provide excellent satire of most modern martial arts dojos and Wrestling!

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I liked the random monsters and thought papyrus was sweet. Sans, horrible anime dinosaur and war crime goat dad I didn’t click with.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Oh my god in heaven the walk cycle

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Well... at least it wasn't Fear and Hunger.

E: VVVV or that

Quicksilver6 fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 30, 2019

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Pico’s school was in fact a prediction of schoolplace violence and in fact was a wholesome attempt to warn us of the perils ahead

At least compared to whatever the hell these games are

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I mean, I feel like “Origin actually looks good now” is a pretty good summary for how far Steam has fallen

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

CrazyLoon posted:

Doesn't make it any less yucky tho.

Never has your avatar's facial expression been more relevant than now.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

sunken fleet posted:

I try to imagine what kind of person pays actual money to buy a sliding block puzzle where the reward is a risque .jpg of an anime girl and my mind just stalls and draws a blank. It seems like there are much better sources of sliding puzzle games and .jpgs out there but what do I know I guess

As everyone knows, sliding block puzzles are the horniest form of puzzle. Except for maybe Towers of Hanoi.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I assume the rating is partially due to "intense feelings of second-hand shame and embarassment at this things existence"

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Terrible awful games: “Watch out, those titties have a knife!”

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

So it’s every modern shooter?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I believe this will explain everything

Hell, same.

Adbot