Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The game is apparently releasing audio as DC.

Free DC but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t know if community colleges are a thing in Japan. As most of those games basically only work with Japan’s high School structure.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It suddenly occurs to me that while like every other anime is set in high school, I can't think of a single one offhand that takes place in college.

There are some but the ones set in schools tend to be aimed at school kids so it’s like how a lot of teen programing tends to be based in school life

You do something the main audience can relate to

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I just automatically assume all anime is squarely aimed at unemployed men in their 20s with disposable income to spend on figurines

There are certain anime’s that are aimed there but anime as a whole has no real unifying appeal. It’s like saying movies appeal to people.

Ironically in in the west the biggest groups are various minorities and women.

I think people forget that anime isn’t meant to appeal to Westerners first and was actually made......for the Japanese

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean yeah you don’t have to actively say it on screen to still let people feel represented. Comics did it all the time and for a lot of readers they still loved the representation even if they couldn’t be open about it. Just because something isn’t perfect doesn’t mean you have to cancel it. You should know this you like persona 4

It also doesn’t help that at least Japan is doing something. The west doesn’t really cater to that group outside of a side character here and there

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 22, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Thuryl posted:

He could also be thinking of Nanoha. Kinda says something that there are multiple distinct anime that fit that exact description, huh?

Well I mean the sailor moon thing was only in the west at least

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean the game is horribly unrealistic in a lot of ways so it was always a dumb argument.

Granted they are in mostly nit picky ways but using realism as a defense is gonna make that more glaring

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Not a meme

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Quicksilver6 posted:

Citation needed

What? That’s objectively true. There are a lot of articles about it. It’s mainly nitpicks that only matter because of the argument itself

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean all fiction is trapped in whatever is popular.

How many western RPGs take place in generic Tolkien fantasy

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

You very rarely have unique characters and settings you just don’t go looking for the sheer amount of generic fantasy settings and tropes out there.

The Japanese didn’t invent the idea of stock characters. Companies are going to always chase trends if it’s not schools it will be something else

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 10, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The overall point is that the chase for profit tends to push fiction towards similar tropes. You can rationalize how these overdone tropes I like are good while the ones I don’t are bad but that misses the point

It doesn’t actually apply to anime but that’s because anime is a catch all term for a lot of different poo poo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Most forums posting is pretty formulaic and just sticks to tropes, not bothering to explore any new ideas or take risks. Occasionally something really good will come out of it though.

I feel like this is an attempt at a joke but it’s also accurate

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Is that an anime thing.

I think it’s universal.

It’s the most talked about thing in a Game of thrones as an example

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It’s just a power fantasy genre that’s more direct about being a power fantasy

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Calling it nerd intel power fantasy is honestly insanely reductive and seems more like a way to validate the kind of power fantasy you find palatable

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Honestly I’m surprised the hate They get as a genre. Like there are individual ones that do really bad things but people treat the concept of a power fantasy as some dirty thing when like most media is a power fantasy of some variety.

Hell action movies are usually the exact same power fantasy at their cores.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Are they hated? I've never been bothered by them unless they're full of irredeemable garbage like Shield Hero.

They do here but that’s because goons and maybe people in general can’t get passed I don’t like it and won’t watch it and instead turn into culture war bullshit.

You see the same thing with sitcoms like BBT when that was popular

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Shoehead posted:

I was gonna compare the genre to Thomas Covenant and woah I guess I was more right than I thought???

(Or Gor, oh Jesus)

Any fiction will eventually devolve into the authors kinks. Sometimes it’s feet and sometimes it’s rape.

That’s why you never read or watch something without some info beforehand

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That might be the most separation between text and gameplay UN this thread.

Which is impressive

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I looked at the website and it doesn’t mention any romance options.

And there are other games on the site that does mention it has one. It liked like a generic slice of life game so I don’t think they are hiding it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Wait so the romances don’t actually involve the player character?

Huh don’t know why that wasn’t on the site

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

Didn't Anne Rice also have a creepy (this part may be redundant) take on a child vampire?

Anne rice technically did the adult in a child’s body first.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I for one respected your moral stand against bad car games

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

When the kids who grew up playing then come to power.

Same reason retro is a thing

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean and hear me out here, you don’t have to read threads you don’t find funny anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah because they are the type of people who are against crony capitalism. Which is the bad parts of capitalism just existing in the corner