Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hitman needs to steal this idea.

IIRC You already killed blond Hitler in Blood Money, his alias was Henrik Schmutz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I'm pretty sure you can tell Steam not to share when and what you are playing. It's still Steam, so whether or not it works is a different thing.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Doc Hawkins posted:

you can add tags to an ignore list, i do that with MMOs

Sure, but sometimes they are just tagged "Massively Multiplayer" instead, so you never know how many tags you need to ignore. And it isn't like the system treats tags as sub tags of others, so it's not enough to ignore " Card Game" you need all the subtypes like "Card Battler" "Trading Card Game" and so on.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

FirstAidKite posted:

In the wake of what happened elsewhere in the forums, I think it would be a good idea to reconsider sharing things on the basis of being not work safe.

What is this all about?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

repiv posted:

i remember MGS5 having "AI" which reacted to your strategies and deployed countermeasures (headshot everyone -> enemies start wearing helmets, etc) and people complained because they actually just want to brute force the same strategy for the whole game

I know a lot of players had the opposite experience , where they never noticed it existed because resetting it was so trivial and after a short while became the only missions that didn't take days to complete so they were what you set your crew todo if you didn't care too much.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

John Lee posted:

It's fantastic as a metaphor for the itself, i.e. the departure of Kojima and the response of the remaining team on the MGS series

I that you are one of the people left to die while your boss fucks off with his famous friends yes, but the more interesting thing is how it's a response to the mainline MGS series. The were told to make a game out of recycled assets and went all in on recycling and reuse as a theme, to contrast it with the main games where the overarching theme is repetition and recreation.

As mentioned the "enemy" is the main MGS nanomachines endlessly reproducing which you defeat by repurposing one of the two types of MGS 5 nanomachines.

They really went all in on recycling as a team, with you not mining or creating resources (outside of food and the rare piece of wood) but instead recycling or repairing them, you are even using your enemies as fuel.

But the funniest thing is Kojima complaining that zombies didn't fit the MGS universe and then he made Death Stranding which just copied one of the 3 types of zombies that existed in the mainline MGS universe before he left.

Survive has problems but it's made by a team of hosed over workers under a lot of pressure but it showed that a lot of the good parts of the mainline MGS came from them and not Kojima.

Hel fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 18, 2024

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

RatHat posted:

Death Stranding doesn't have zombies?

The standard BT encounters are just generic versions of the MGS3 Sorrow fight, which has what is functionally zombies dragging you down into the water. It's not that DS has zombies it's that MGS already did, and he just copied that for DS.

Which honestly is one of the biggest problems with DS IMO, a lot of it is just what if MGS thing but generic and without the context that made it work originally.

MGS 4 and 5 had different types of nanomachine zombies, which are probably closer to the MULEs, 4 especially, but that wasn't my point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well, it's not like he had the choice either way. One of the reasons auteurs having their creations ripped away from them sucks so much, they have to start over from nothing and all the context and previous work they had been building on is gone.

Sure there are some parts that require 4 games worth of context to work, like final boss of MGS4, which is why the end boss of DS that copies it doesn't work, but you that also wouldn't have worked for any series first game, regardless of if he was still at Konami or not. But the Sorrow fight builds up all the necessary context in the same game, because it's your kills dragging you down, not just any dead guys( it also only really works once or twice, and that's also a reason it's bad to genericise) . There are also stuff that just don't adjust to the story it's telling, like the codenames. They "work" in MGS because they are movie spy codenames, they don't work as well in DS because trucker callsigns are different would be a better fit for the theming. And that's not even getting into the overuse of the XMan naming pattern.

The core idea of Death Stranding is really good, it's just that there is stuff bolted on that drags it down, and most of that is the clear MGS repeats, rather than the new stuff. Which is why it's funny to compare to Survive, which has fewer things that copy MGS in that way, despite actually using the assets and world.