Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

raditts posted:

Wait, this actually came out? I remember reading a thread about it here back in like 2004, but I never saw or heard anything about it ever again so I just assumed it was never completed.
I guess that fact is a testament to its quality.

It was literally the first non-Valve game released on Steam. I remember people getting pissy about other developers getting on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mizuti posted:

Does reporting for IP theft accomplish anything? Guessing not.

Steam probably doesn't care unless the IP owner contacts them.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Well, then I stand quite corrected.

Back when the first AssCreed came out I rented it via Gamefly for the 360 and did all the flag collecting poo poo for the achievement. Well, almost. I did all but something like three of them before saying, "Well this is just a drat waste of my time collecting a bunch of poo poo for a stupid achievement!" I have since realized I should have had come to that conclusion after finishing it.

To make it even worse, when AC1 eventually came to PS3 trophies didn't exist yet so those flags did literally nothing.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

I don't know if they've even got anyone left who can write story or code games these days. Do they even license out the HL2 engine any more?

In theory? Yes. In practice no one other than Valve wants to use the Source engine these days, and even Valve has used Unity rather than Source for a few of their smaller VR projects lately.

The last company to licence Source that I know of was Respawn for the first Titanfall and they apparently did enough work on the engine for that game that they got upset when people talked about it running on Source, or something like that anyway. No idea if Titanfall 2 still has it's roots in Source.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

https://twitter.com/_watsu/status/1119648516513632257?s=19