Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Congratulations to the DSA on getting Democrats to end their support for the Gaza genocide through the power of phone banking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
It's an election year, so it's time for the DSA to set aside petty differences and get out there and phone bank for Joe Biden.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Al! posted:

does the dsa still do brake light clinics
our brake light guy got arrested for beating his wife

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Nothus posted:

It's an election year, so it's time for the DSA to set aside petty differences and get out there and phone bank for Joe Biden.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Al! posted:

does the dsa still do brake light clinics

it might be old but I saw a flyer for one near the NE Home Depot in DC lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nothus posted:

That would be pretty embarrassing, I think they'll probably just endorse no one. I could be surprised though lol

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Nothus posted:

Yep. This is the most important election of our lifetime. It is NOT the time to gently caress around.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

still baffled as to why the DSA needed to pay someone $30,000 per month to be a "national grievance officer"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
ernest hemmingway ten most dsa words in the english language

War and Pieces posted:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

bedpan posted:

still baffled as to why the DSA needed to pay someone $30,000 per month to be a "national grievance officer"

who else are you gonna defer to when your brake light guy gets arrested at the dsa sex worker pool party

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

aw frig aw dang it posted:

Yep. This is the most important election of our lifetime. It is NOT the time to gently caress around.

This poster gets it. Democracy is On The Ballot, and we all have to Do Our Part. After all, whatever you think of Joe Biden, the alternative is Much Much Worse.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

DSA don't start anything

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

War and Pieces posted:

thread title?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

its so funny that the dsa needs a breaklight guy its the most transferrable skill in the world

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

War and Pieces posted:

lol jesus christ

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i mean really how many dsa members does it take to change a lightbulb?

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

bedpan posted:

Well they’ve got a lot of grievances. Do you doubt that?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Al! posted:

i mean really how many dsa members does it take to change a lightbulb?

Depends on how many are Polacks op

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

bedpan posted:

I do a lot of mediation/grievance/arbitration stuff for my day job. Even if that person were handling real grievances non-stop for 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year, they were being paid almost double what they were worth. With the volume of grievances they probably were handling, it was the grift of the century.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

lol jesus christ

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

There's absolutely no way people are still stuck in dsa. Blink thrice if you need help leaving

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I am calling on the DSA to do the right thing and endorse the harm reduction candidate this election. The only anti war president of our lifetimes, the man who when economic stimulus was needed gave money to ordinary people, who got us a covid vaccine significantly quicker, a political outsider untainted by decades of political deals and obligations. It is time to break free of the shackles of the Democrat party and its rightward movement. The modern exemplar of pushing a party left. Donald J Trump.

khazar sansculotte posted:

I do a lot of mediation/grievance/arbitration stuff for my day job. Even if that person were handling real grievances non-stop for 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year, they were being paid almost double what they were worth. With the volume of grievances they probably were handling, it was the grift of the century.

$15,000 a month is still too much. Just get a kindergarten teacher to do it

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

At 3,744 hours a year, $180k is about $48/hour, which incidentally is about what a kindergarten teacher where I live makes per hour if they have an MA and 7 years of experience.

The "National Grievance Officer" was definitely making about $360k an hour though.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

fermun posted:

The last time DSA had the current number of members was in January 2020 and had 20 staffers, now we have 32. The last two NPCs have been a majority from what are now the two caucuses that hired the 12 extra staffers, including hiring 3 people a month before the 2023 convention. Those same two caucuses have proposed cutting sharing dues to local chapters and holding permanent weekly phonebanking calls to existing members asking them to increase their dues in order to make sure we can have 0 staff layoffs, because that fundraising is going to 100% be successful in raising the 1.5 million dollars a year that was needed.

It has been accused by the NPC minority that the current NPC majority want DSA to be a member-led organization instead of a staff-led organization so want staff layoffs to fund member-led initiatives instead of our very successful staff-led initiatives like the DSA 100k campaign, or phonebanking Dems to legalize abortion nationwide, or phonebanking Dems to pass the PRO act, or phonebanking Dems to end support for Gaza genocide

DSA is not a staff led organization. staff doesn’t lead anything. staff provides infrastructure, training, and support for membership to campaigns. i hear what the staff organizers do all day long and the vast majority is training for chapter leadership. also providing direction to try and help keep the amateur chapter membership from violating election law or creating other legal issues for themselves and the org at large. giving them access to national infrastructure, getting them set up with communication lists, helping them work through the process of getting bank accounts, dues share, and when they’re established doing trainings for their local campaigns, putting them in touch with resources for larger national campaigns, etc. membership has dropped and the current proposal leaves the remaining organizers with over 80 chapters each

literally the sort of infrastructural poo poo you need if you want to be anything more than a local book club.

gutting this just reflects the complete baby brain lack of perspective these loving internet posers have about this org.

the majority NPC appears to want to dismantle the existing staff union infrastructure so they can direct funds toward their caucus dictated priorities like preserving the health insurance and paid salaries for the 1099 independent contractor npc co-chairs. its loving starve the beast conservatism in action

co chairs on an npc that can’t seem to produce a budget with actual numbers on it and instead want to drive ahead with firing 8 people (approx 4 more than required to hit their previously requested budget deficit). no target budget number presented in negotiations. these are not professionals in any sense of the word, they are literally just moron internet brains.

this clusterfuck of a committee is consistently self admitting to negotiating in bad faith with the union, committing numerous nlrb violations, and somehow thinks this isn’t going to bite them.

co-chair loving crying on twitter about how hard this has been for her. outrageous. it looks like the plan is to bust the union to gut staff and give jobs for their caucus deep state friends

like i am constantly thinking back on union meetings when i was a teamster and contrasting it with the sort of poo poo the self proclaimed left gets up to and it’s incredible. we are doomed.

i’m trying to imagine if i had a job where different people with zero competence or understanding of my industry got to come in every two years and make a bunch of proclamations and then were tasked with trying to balance a budget (but also they dont know how to count past 10 with their shoes on). loving depressing.

not to say that the cspam internet communists dont have a lot of great advice to give in this thread, but fermun you dont know what youre talking about and this thread is just a spectacle for this reactionary cesspool to jack off to drama in.

maybe don’t post like you know how any of this poo poo has gone or have any sort of valuable perspective to add, unless youre gonna leak new behind the scenes caucus deep state chats?

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

lol

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

still lolling that DSA has a union at all

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

jarofpiss posted:

DSA is not a staff led organization. staff doesn’t lead anything. staff provides infrastructure, training, and support for membership to campaigns. i hear what the staff organizers do all day long and the vast majority is training for chapter leadership. also providing direction to try and help keep the amateur chapter membership from violating election law or creating other legal issues for themselves and the org at large. giving them access to national infrastructure, getting them set up with communication lists, helping them work through the process of getting bank accounts, dues share, and when they’re established doing trainings for their local campaigns, putting them in touch with resources for larger national campaigns, etc. membership has dropped and the current proposal leaves the remaining organizers with over 80 chapters each

literally the sort of infrastructural poo poo you need if you want to be anything more than a local book club.

gutting this just reflects the complete baby brain lack of perspective these loving internet posers have about this org.

the majority NPC appears to want to dismantle the existing staff union infrastructure so they can direct funds toward their caucus dictated priorities like preserving the health insurance and paid salaries for the 1099 independent contractor npc co-chairs. its loving starve the beast conservatism in action

co chairs on an npc that can’t seem to produce a budget with actual numbers on it and instead want to drive ahead with firing 8 people (approx 4 more than required to hit their previously requested budget deficit). no target budget number presented in negotiations. these are not professionals in any sense of the word, they are literally just moron internet brains.

this clusterfuck of a committee is consistently self admitting to negotiating in bad faith with the union, committing numerous nlrb violations, and somehow thinks this isn’t going to bite them.

co-chair loving crying on twitter about how hard this has been for her. outrageous. it looks like the plan is to bust the union to gut staff and give jobs for their caucus deep state friends

like i am constantly thinking back on union meetings when i was a teamster and contrasting it with the sort of poo poo the self proclaimed left gets up to and it’s incredible. we are doomed.

i’m trying to imagine if i had a job where different people with zero competence or understanding of my industry got to come in every two years and make a bunch of proclamations and then were tasked with trying to balance a budget (but also they dont know how to count past 10 with their shoes on). loving depressing.

not to say that the cspam internet communists dont have a lot of great advice to give in this thread, but fermun you dont know what youre talking about and this thread is just a spectacle for this reactionary cesspool to jack off to drama in.

maybe don’t post like you know how any of this poo poo has gone or have any sort of valuable perspective to add, unless youre gonna leak new behind the scenes caucus deep state chats?

Hell yeah

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

jarofpiss posted:

co chairs on an npc that can’t seem to produce a budget with actual numbers on it

i’m trying to imagine if i had a job where different people with zero competence or understanding of my industry got to come in every two years and make a bunch of proclamations and then were tasked with trying to balance a budget (but also they dont know how to count past 10 with their shoes on).

I can count pretty high so I got asked to participate in DSA budget committee meetings (which is why I started paying attention to DSA drama again). I haven't said yes or no yet. Does the DSA budget committee do useful work, or does some CFO type just go through slides and try to keep people from asking too many questions? Sorry if you don't know any of this.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Voting owns. Love to bring about incremental.change through voting. Here's an automated email about funddaising

piss guzzler 420
Dec 25, 2022

dsa ate my balls

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

jarofpiss posted:

cspam needs a grievance officer (paid) to meditate this

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

jarofpiss posted:

lol

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

The hotter, the wetter, the better

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

i read all of that

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

i read all of that

Any grievances?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i read all of that

Same here.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sounds like the dsa needs better hr

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

jarofpiss posted:

"Baby brain"? Can you please go back and reword this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Honky Mao posted:

"Baby brain"? Can you please go back and reword this?