Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
This season is especially amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Spookyelectric posted:

Hey thanks, that's a pretty thoughtful motivator. Anything in particular you like? The guests, the games, us just be being "on" more this time around? Always curious.

YouTube Link

Getting close to the end of guest episodes. I think there's like. . . 5 more? Kinda depends on how we break them up. But anyhow, this is the last week of Dan & Croix, who purportedly broke up with one another 3 days after recording this. I don't know what the circumstances were, but I can't help but believe that MCIHAD ruined a few more lives. Also, vidme is shutting down in a few weeks, and I think it's because the creators of the site liked us over there. Oh Well!

Arabian Fight was a game made by Sega to directly compete with Arabian Magic. Both incredibly inspired names, obviously, which is why they are so memorable and everyone has heard of these games.

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

You are the wailing clock maker.

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

At first I thought "hey, didn't these chuckleheads already play this game?" but then I remembered that no, actually. It was me. I was the chucklehead who had played this game. Oh, the monsters I have mauled...

Anyway, would it have killed the devs to like, locally source their monsters? Norwegian Dragon, sure, Deep Sea Fungus off the coast of Bermuda, okay. Everything else is just sloppy. Even the akuma mother fucker could have made sense if his name hadn't been Spanish.

This all makes me wish there was a game like this, but with roguelike elements and maybe some X-com poo poo mixed in, where you send teams of specially trained monster wrestlers all over the world to battle mythological and supernatural threats. And, also I'm envisioning an expansion where the threats become less supernatural, and more existential. "The War at Home!" which sees your elite monster wrestlers do battle with regret, ennui, and the lasting psychological trauma of being suplexed through a table by a drop bear. How will men fight monsters when they risk becoming the monsters themselves? And also, how do miss an 80% hit chance off-the-turnbuckle frog splash on a wendigo that's right the gently caress next to you?! Goddamn rookies deserve to have their legs torn off with that kinda bs.

I would lose money to a Kickstarter for that. The emotional aspect could be like Darkest Dungeon, where your dudes might turn on one another and fumble med kits when their teammate gets bitten by the Jörmungandr because they've stolen the spotlight too many times and damaged the relationship between them. If the one wasn't such a ham, they could have teamed up for a combo move and finished it off before Ragnarök kicks off and survived another day.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Spookyelectric posted:

D'aww thanks guy.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Part 2

It's part 2 of Arabian Fight, and the final Dan & Croix game! Yay?

AMovieReference fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 6, 2017

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

YouTube Link

Behold in all it's glory, Primal Rage II. The fabled game that never seemed to be released, although completely finished. All the animations and everything work, but they just never put it out. Until a few years ago that is, when Galloping Ghost Arcade in Chicago got a copy of the board, and someone dumped it as a rom. Then some nerd made a custom version of MAME to play the game. So check it out!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

AMovieReference posted:

I can't help but believe that MCIHAD ruined a few more lives.

Homewreckers. Does this mean either of them are free agents now? I'm enjoying the guest episodes, and the change of pace they bring. Especially since Keith gets weirdly belligerent about the show sometimes. Not that I don't enjoy that lovable scamp and his antics, of course, it's just nice to calm things down once in a while, and have a different quality of shrieking.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Not that I don't enjoy that lovable scamp and his antics, of course, it's just nice to calm things down once in a while, and have a different quality of shrieking.

Seperate, but equal.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

YouTube Link

The last episode with Johan in it. It's Spawn: In the Demon's Hand, which was on the Sega Naomi arcade system. It was. . . a game.

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Homewreckers. Does this mean either of them are free agents now?

I would imagine that makes them both free agents.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Seperate, but equal.

Separate but equal shrieking is the battle cry of an entire generation, as evident by the current state of YouTube.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

YouTube Link

So Harry works on a lot of wrestling products. At one point even the WWE, so we made him play a wrestling game and talk a bit about it with us.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

YouTube Link

Alright, it's Tekken 3, and we introduce the "Mokujin Challenge", which is surprisingly not already a thing? I did a quick google search, and didn't find anything, so I assume we're the first.

In case you don't know, Mokujin changes his move set each round, and you have no idea who you are playing until you try some of the moves. It's pretty fun.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Yep, that's the video. I think if you follow or watch us, we show up on top, but for anyone else, they are first.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

YouTube Link

Knuckle Bash. I think we had a pretty good time playing through this one. It was pretty loving rad.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Part 2

poo poo, I forgot I hadn't put this up yet. Here ya go.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

YouTube Link

Hammerin' Harry. Man, we suck at platformers, especially Keith.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
With Hammerin' Harry you're now up to five games this season that I was thinking about requesting for next season. I'm going to have to dig deeper!

When you all eventually get tired of this and decide to move on, you should finish with The End.

Edit: I'm still catching up, but I wanted to say I was pleasantly surprised by how much you guys enjoyed Arabian Fight. It plays kinda janky, but I can't help but love that game, because holy poo poo just look at it!

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 22, 2017

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

Rollersnake posted:

With Hammerin' Harry you're now up to five games this season that I was thinking about requesting for next season. I'm going to have to dig deeper!

When you all eventually get tired of this and decide to move on, you should finish with The End.

Edit: I'm still catching up, but I wanted to say I was pleasantly surprised by how much you guys enjoyed Arabian Fight. It plays kinda janky, but I can't help but love that game, because holy poo poo just look at it!

We'll chalk all the prescient picks up to good taste.

Arabian Fight wasn't the most nuanced brawler we've played, but it was too bonkers not to see through to the end. I'm glad you liked it!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

Dirt Wizard posted:

I would imagine that makes them both free agents.
Snap up that talent before some other big name LP studio does!

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

YouTube Link

Merry Christmas, fiends! We're taking a little break with all the holiday madness consuming the country, but we wanted to take a moment to wish a good one to you and yours, and let you know that we'll be back for more!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Nick, nooooo. You have so much DDR to live for.

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

You dare mention that horrid game this close to my passing? Even now, my corpse spins in its grave, drilling its way closer to Hell.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Just so you all know, we're still here, well maybe Nick is dead. . . But we're still doing stuff, the holidays are just a pain in the butt and we'd been busy and poo poo, but we expect to resume putting our stuff out on the 8th.

Meant to start that yesterday, but I was in the hell that is Atlanta, so it didn't happen. Anyhow, I think we're gonna try to start posting our podcast on YouTube and the other places as well (the patreon one). We used to have it as a patreon tier a long while back, but we eventually made it a patreon subscriber (any tier) and you could listen. We're still gonna release them on patreon as like a "early access" sort of deal, and then put them out later for the public version. If we can get our poo poo together, it'd be cool to do a different podcast deal, and have bonus episodes on the patreon.

Anyhow, more MCIHAD starting next week.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

YouTube Link

Alright, we're back, sorry about that. We started doing some online session poo poo, to try and pad out our log, since Keith is stuck in California forever (at this rate). Anyhow, this was requested by "Thiswayliesmadness". I'm surprised that I'd seen this tons of times in the arcades, but I never once tried to play it. It was actually pretty decent as far as the Alien mythos is concerned.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Glad I could provide a fun game for you guys to try! And possibly inspire your fun somethingawful names discussion. This game was in almost every arcade I went to as a kid, doesn't get too munchy on your quarters, and works well in 2 player mode. I don't think I've ever seen anyone make it past the elevator part without having all the cables snap.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

YouTube Link

My friend always tells me how great the PS3 game "Journey" is. I've refused to play it, because I'm a dick. So instead, we played the 1983 game "Journey" about the band "Journey" (band from the bay).

It's something.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014
I'm glad to hear you appreciate my exquisite username.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

YouTube Link

Oh man, I really wanna do like an exposé on the Korean black market rip-offs of other games during the arcade era. There are so many, and it's kinda interesting. The target this week? Tetris.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

YouTube Link

Here's something, a game called search and rescue, where it seems like neither of those loving things are happening at all. Seems to be a theme going on with playing games about aliens recently.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

YouTube Link

I don't recall much about this one, I hope it was an okay episode. All I remember is that Nick was not having fun, so much like all his illegitimate children, he sought to abandon it as soon as he could. It was still an enjoyable game for what it's worth.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

YouTube Link

Resident Evil, the arcade game. That's right, they had an arcade game, and it was based off the Code Veronica game. Interestingly, they made it into an FPS style game, which they only recently made a full game similar to with RE7. It's not too terrible, but it doesn't let you aim down or up.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

YouTube Link

Thunder Hoop. To be fair, we picked this game, because it looked like it might be some sort of ripoff of a Dragon Ball. As far as the main character, it seems to be the case, but everything else is. . . mostly unique. Except all the other monsters, and everything else.

Also it gets impossible at some point, as most these games do.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

YouTube Link

So this is one of the Sega games where you sit on an actual vehicle and drive it game. I don't think the emulator was done 100% as I was never able to win a race.

AMovieReference fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 24, 2018

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

YouTube Link

Another vehicle game, we didn't really mean for them to come out together. This one didn't really make any god damned sense to me, you pick up people who seem to disappear after a while, and then get into horrific car accidents.

Also, I think a bunch of young children found our video "Booby Kids" and have been down-voting it in disappointment.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

YouTube Link

Oh boy, this one was a lot of fun. We do a lot of poo poo talking to one another, and the game is also fairly similar to New Zealand Story, so it's good in that aspect.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

YouTube Link

Oh more Liquid Kids! So, I think we originally wanted to play this game, because we thought this would deal with more children becoming turned into some type of vapor. I guess we got this instead.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

YouTube Link

We tried our hand at another Bluth-like game. It actually in comparison to the others out there, is playable without having memorized everything. It's Time Gal.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Went and watched the last few weeks in one go, good stuff as always guys! Hope Keith's situation has stabilized by now. Keep putting up the good fight buddy, when life hits, you never cease to amaze by how hard you hit back. Grit those teeth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

YouTube Link

Terminator 2, we've all seen it in the arcades. It was actually packaged with Aerosmith's Revolution X, and you could switch between both of them, if you had the right cabinet. But that's not important, what is important is that we had THIS made:

Enjoy your new desktop background.

• Locked thread