Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Holyshoot posted:

Not really getting into this season. Is it just me or anyone else feel this way?

Yeah me too, maybe it's the lack of Vane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Yeah me too, maybe it's the lack of Vane

I was an idiot actually and stopped watching right when they took over the town and met the slave lady. I then finished it up a few days later and now I'm all in.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Holyshoot posted:

I was an idiot actually and stopped watching right when they took over the town and met the slave lady. I then finished it up a few days later and now I'm all in.

For how uneven the show can be episode-to-episode, the season finales have always been great. The season one finale, here:

I had such a sinking feeling in my gut watching this part, I loved it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I swear everybody but silver better die this season. I don't really care about seeing treasure island again but if they could do something fun with silver I'd totally be down with it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I just realized the series finale is 2 days after I'm moving and going to be completely away from a computer or TV for 6 months. :negative:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Hey you might get lucky, Starz shows tend to leak like all the cgi boats featured in the show.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Invalid Validation posted:

Hey you might get lucky, Starz shows tend to leak like all the cgi boats featured in the show.

I think this season's first episode leaked like at least one day early.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

George H.W. oval office posted:

I just realized the series finale is 2 days after I'm moving and going to be completely away from a computer or TV for 6 months. :negative:

If you have access to their on demand app you can see it the day of broadcast generally. Doesn't help if you're deployed or something and have no access period, but you're not entirely SOL.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Holy gently caress that was some of the most brutal poo poo I have ever seen jesus titty loving christ

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 13, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It would have been less cruel to push him into a literal meatgrinder.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
Oh gently caress that was graphic.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
The time it took was deffo a big factor in just how uncomfortable that was to watch. Cripes...

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Holy gently caress that was some of the most brutal poo poo I have ever seen jesus titty loving chis

It sure was. What a tough bastard.

Pretty good episode with only one annoyance for me. I don't understand why they had the fight between Rogers/Anne/Jack happen the way it happened. A captured pirate has a death sentence, Anne and Blackbeard were as good as dead, and Rackham was safely away in the Queen Anne's Revenge and couldve shot the poo poo out of Rogers ship, but surrender? Like ok its a tv show and they are trying to fit, loosely, how these people end up in history, but they should've had the ships fight yardarm to yardarm and then Rogers couldve taken both over that way and it wouldve made much more sense.

Also enjoyed Captain Berringer's little speech to Rogers at the beginning. Was great setting the tone for the whole episode.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Welp, Jack would've had to shoot not only at Teach, whom he'd idolized at that point, but also at Anne...and that is just not something that I think he could do, nor she at him. You can see Teach's utter dissapointment at this too lol! Maybe they counted on being all held captive long enough to escape, not knowing just what Rogers does if victorious, when pushed far enough. Really, Teach's mistake was to board the vessel in the first place and ultimately, that's another thing about this episode. Both sides had the opportunity to not make a fatal mistake and just loving end it, right there and then, but both gave in to their pride/bloodlust too much and lost it all.

Teach could've just opened fire, sunk the sloop and trusted that the intel was good and that Rogers was dead on board. But he had to try and make a trophy of him, so he got made a trophy of himself since that's exactly what Rogers was prepared and counting on.

And Berringer could've just literally acted upon the 'I win' card that Max and Eleanor handed him over...but he had to try and make a trophy of Silver, so he got made a trophy of himself since that's exactly what Silver was prepared and counting on.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 13, 2017

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Oh, so that's what keelhauling is.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Let's all pour one out for BlackBeard. That was one tough motherfucker.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

PlushCow posted:

It sure was. What a tough bastard.

Pretty good episode with only one annoyance for me. I don't understand why they had the fight between Rogers/Anne/Jack happen the way it happened. A captured pirate has a death sentence, Anne and Blackbeard were as good as dead, and Rackham was safely away in the Queen Anne's Revenge and couldve shot the poo poo out of Rogers ship, but surrender? Like ok its a tv show and they are trying to fit, loosely, how these people end up in history, but they should've had the ships fight yardarm to yardarm and then Rogers couldve taken both over that way and it wouldve made much more sense.

Also enjoyed Captain Berringer's little speech to Rogers at the beginning. Was great setting the tone for the whole episode.

I completely agree. I like this show, but it made 0 sense. There is no reason someone as smart as Rackham would basically doom EVERYONE to a death sentence when you have the threat of being able to literally annihilate the other ship. Easily the worst writing on this show, makes no logical sense.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 13, 2017

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Yeah, it's really stupid and it makes Rackham just about the worst pirate captain in history.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He didn't want to kill Anne

Badman ting, still kicking after a handful of keel hauls. :hist101: THIRTEEN!!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah the keelhaul sequence took like 15 or 20 minutes of the episode, they made you feel the dread and every barnacle of that.

I do need to down a Kraken and coke in honor of Blackbeard hanging in there as long as he did.

It's nice that they gave you a little catharsis afterwards with pirates kicking rear end in town though.

Good post earlier about how both Blackbeard and Berringer each hosed themselves by going after the perfect fatality.

I really like how the John Silver character has evolved from the smarmy wisecracking prettyboy in the first episode to badass leader of pirates. Luke Arnold has done a really nice job with the role, I hope he can be in some other stuff after this.

Definitely agree that Black Sails has the best opening credit sequence. Hurdy gurdy and scrimshaw skeletons for the win!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

savinhill posted:

Yeah, it's really stupid and it makes Rackham just about the worst pirate captain in history.

I mean....he kind of was. Well there were some phenomenally lovely ones, so that's not fair, but he was a bit of a gently caress up. I mean the way he went out in history as far as the story goes was he was drunk as poo poo, and only Anne and Mary Read were sober enough to fight, so he got captured and executed. His life was basically an alternating story of doing something amazingly bold and then colossally loving it up.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I feel like Jack's problem has always been exactly what Vane noted about him in the first season: "You're too clever for your own good, Jack." His original ideas and schemes are actually very good, and often worth carrying out...but then he always either overthinks them or convinces himself that leadership just boils down to outwitting the other person. It doesn't. Sometimes it really is just about how far you're willing to go and whom/what you're willing to sacrifice for victory. Rogers was willing to die along with all his men, if it meant Eleanor got to escape to Philadelphia and bring back the forces to win the war, maybe also if it meant taking out Teach. Jack, however, was not willing to see Anne and Teach die, even if it meant winning the war.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

That whole situation could've been avoided if they just didn't row out to the ship. That was just bad.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Also how did Blackbeard, one of the most feared pirates and best fighters, lose a fight to pretty boy privateer Woodes Rogers? When did he suddenly become amazing at fighting, did I miss something?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Looked like he got his rear end handed to him until his buddies with guns came to help.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
That was hard to watch. When you think about it, Rogers did that for himself. He had one of, if not the most notorious pirates in the world, alive. He should have shipped him to the colonies or back to England as quick as he could to hang him publicly. There aren't enough pirates running around anymore to offer much resistance, and no one knew where they were, or where they were heading. Instead he tortured him in front of a bunch of people he was going to hang anyways. I guess he was going to let one survive, but that still wouldn't be as impressive as Blackbeard hanging in England.

Unless it was hinting that Teach was the survivor from the story, which I kind of have a hard time making fit but I can work with it I guess.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 13, 2017

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Blackbeard stuff was great, he really only lost when he ran out of guns. Next time pack more guns!

But I gotta say Chris Larkin did a great job with Berringer, I thought. His physicality, barely fitting in his ruined uniform, alternating between his English civility and his Heart of Darkness-soldiering personas. I thought he did a lot with the role, given his time on the show.

I'm dumb and don't often notice or appreciate performances, but I liked his.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

That was hard to watch. When you think about it, Rogers did that for himself. He had one of, if not the most notorious pirates in the world, alive. He should have shipped him to the colonies or back to England as quick as he could to hang him publicly. There aren't enough pirates running around anymore to offer much resistance, and no one knew where they were, or where they were heading. Instead he tortured him in front of a bunch of people he was going to hang anyways. I guess he was going to let one survive, but that still wouldn't be as impressive as Blackbeard hanging in England.

Unless it was hinting that Teach was the survivor from the story, which I kind of have a hard time making fit but I can work with it I guess.

The ship Rogers was talking about in his story was a Spanish galleon, so I doubt it could have been Teach who was I believe from England. I don't think Teach was supposed to be in the story (if he was I doubt he'd have let himself be taken alive after seeing Rogers' approach to things). The point of the story was for Rogers to explain his preference for a prolonged bloody torture spectacle in such situations to strike fear into his enemies.

Dudikoff
Mar 30, 2003

They were tracking the ship for days, no doubt keenly watching the men on board, yet when they board the ship, they can't figure out where everybody went? Or that they could be playing hide & seek. Hiding in the recesses of a ship waiting to spring an attack is possibly the most obvious, basic strategy ever. That's Seafaring 101. It cheapens Jack and Teach to make them so dumb. Pretty good episode though.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Invalid Validation posted:

Looked like he got his rear end handed to him until his buddies with guns came to help.

Yeah, I liked this fight because it felt like Rogers didn't get to be some amazing swordsman just because he was a protagonist. There were a couple times where Teach would have run him through if he hadn't gotten knocked around by the other random fights going on, including where his sword gets knocked out of his hand right before he was about to stab him.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Zwabu posted:

The point of the story was for Rogers to explain his preference for a prolonged bloody torture spectacle in such situations to strike fear into his enemies.

And contrast that to the Blackbeard keelhauling, where Rogers actually lost his appetite to continue his methodical torture-killings because Blackbeard survived so long.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Yea Jack should have shot the other ship and killed Anne and Blackbeard to win. As a side note I love Blackbeards sword/gun fighting style.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dreylad posted:

But I gotta say Chris Larkin did a great job with Berringer, I thought. His physicality, barely fitting in his ruined uniform, alternating between his English civility and his Heart of Darkness-soldiering personas. I thought he did a lot with the role, given his time on the show.

I'm dumb and don't often notice or appreciate performances, but I liked his.

It's one of the main reasons I love this show I think. A lot of the side characters, even ones that don't last for too long, have some really good actors behind them. Similar to Chris Larkin was Langley Kirkwood as Captain Bryson in S1. Just about everything about him screamed of a coldhearted and cunning man. And he was around for only 3 episodes I think, but he left a really chilling impression on me. Or hell, Ned Low in S2 didn't last very long, but his first introduction to Eleanor in her own bar is still a very good way to introduce a complete psychopath.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 13, 2017

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Ned Low was loving great even if he was on for so short a time. He was so vicious and crazy his death was a great boost to Vane's character.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

unlawfulsoup posted:

I completely agree. I like this show, but it made 0 sense. There is no reason someone as smart as Rackham would basically doom EVERYONE to a death sentence when you have the threat of being able to literally annihilate the other ship. Easily the worst writing on this show, makes no logical sense.

Because that would be lovely TV. Lmao.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Holyshoot posted:

Because that would be lovely TV. Lmao.

I dunno, I thought it was lovely for them to just run up the white flag, no questions asked. I'm not expecting Rackham to have gone "beep boop, survival chances maximized by destroying other ship," but there were better ways to have done it suggested in this very thread. Another small fight scene where the marines storm onto Rackham's ship would have worked, for instance.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BurtLington posted:

Also how did Blackbeard, one of the most feared pirates and best fighters, lose a fight to pretty boy privateer Woodes Rogers? When did he suddenly become amazing at fighting, did I miss something?

Its how Blackbeard was defeated IRL. Not Woodes Rogers but the whole thing with the guy he was fighting tricked him by just holding all his men under the decks until after they boarded.

Also laughing like hell that the Japanese pirate is still around.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
The rowing out, the "shock" that not everyone on the boat was dead, the unconditional surrender. This show is so loving predictable. The pirates never win. This episode tried so hard to be suspenseful and it fell so completely flat.

At least there was some rear end kicking at the end

LemonyTang fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 14, 2017

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

LemonyTang posted:

The rowing out, the "shock" that not everyone on the boat was dead, the unconditional surrender. This show is so loving predictable. The pirates never win. This episode tried so hard to be suspenseful and it fell so completely flat.

At least there was some rear end kicking at the end

They have to keep finding ways for the pirates to lose and they keep getting more and more ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Note to self: Avoid ever getting keelhauled.

• Locked thread