Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
The show continues to make the pirates too strong and 'noble'. Rackham didn't have a hero crush for Vane, he took his ship from him. Blackbeard died from a random cut to the neck, not in a 10-minute scene with a captive audience. And all this talk of a glorious revolution is just... ehh.

I'm fully expecting that next they will take Rodgers' successful defence of Nassau from Spain, and give it to Flint, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did you forget it's fiction?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

LemonyTang posted:

The rowing out, the "shock" that not everyone on the boat was dead, the unconditional surrender. This show is so loving predictable. The pirates never win. This episode tried so hard to be suspenseful and it fell so completely flat.

At least there was some rear end kicking at the end

I think the suspense of what happens in the very end is deffo not why I like to watch it, given there are 3 characters that you know will 100% survive at the end as per Treasure Island. And I also don't think they intended much suspense for that, and moreso for how the characters react to it. I mean...what suspense is there to be had as to that not everyone on the boat is dead, when literally at the start of this episode you see Rogers packing said boat like a clown-car with soldiers during the speech, and know that if Blackbeard ever boards that ship, he's playing right into his hands? Although I do agree that Rackham's surrender was shot p poorly and just comes across as weak poo poo, lol...still waiting for a gif of Blackbeard's look of utter dissapointment right then at that turn of events, since Ray Stevenson's face is like...an amazing conduit of communication.

It's also not much point to bet on suspense, since anyone can know well beforehand that Blackbeard, Vane, Rackham and Anne all died historically and the show's been pretty consistent in offing those types of characters in similar-style situations (see Blackbeard going down to p much the exact same tactic IRL).

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 14, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

No one knows what happened to Anne. Mary Reed got hanged.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

meristem posted:

The show continues to make the pirates too strong and 'noble'. Rackham didn't have a hero crush for Vane, he took his ship from him. Blackbeard died from a random cut to the neck, not in a 10-minute scene with a captive audience. And all this talk of a glorious revolution is just... ehh.

I'm fully expecting that next they will take Rodgers' successful defence of Nassau from Spain, and give it to Flint, or something.

I'm thinking that he'll defend Nassau but still get run off via the pirates and thus we have a nice little pirate paradise that sets up Treasure Island. It loosely correlates with history since he returned to England and was imprisoned for debt during his first run as governor and it wraps up nicely as a poo poo ending for the season antagonist and some sort of noble victory for Flint (who prob dies in the process)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What is with all the spoiler bars? Especially for the aired episodes, but even for the historical stuff. Look, without knowing anything specific, I'd bet that literally none of the historical pirates had happy endings where they retired to a cottage somewhere. And I'm pretty sure Nassau doesn't get taken over by the pirate rebellion, because I was there when I was ten and I'm pretty sure it wasn't ruled by a colorful gang of pirates and whores. My mother would not have been okay with that, for one thing.

Did it ruin Deadwood to find out the real Al Swearengen died penniless in the gutter? gently caress no, because that had nothing to do with the show.

meristem posted:

But that's the point! It's a loving television show, it borrows the bits from history that it likes and makes up the rest, because it makes a fun story. Blackbeard may have fallen for the same trick he did IRL because they thought it was a neat way to do it, but Ned Lowe died in wildly different circumstances. It doesn't matter what actually happened in the history books because we are not watching a historical recreation, we're watching a fun pirate action drama.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, Hornigold was lost in a shipwreck. I like that they're not following history very much at all because that's not what this show is about and it makes it interesting to watch.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I honestly did not know that many of these characters are based on historical figures. I thought this was just based on the characters established in Treasure Island, which I also did not realize featured people who actually existed in reality. Do you guys have any recommendations what books/resources I should look for to read up on how this all went down? It would be awesome if a writer like Erik Larson tackled the subject since his books read more like novels rather than dry, boring history text books.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It's funny that the fictional Treasure Island characters have plot armor since they supposedly want to come back for a Treasure Island movie, while the historical characters aren't tied to their actual historical roots.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

I honestly did not know that many of these characters are based on historical figures. I thought this was just based on the characters established in Treasure Island, which I also did not realize featured people who actually existed in reality. Do you guys have any recommendations what books/resources I should look for to read up on how this all went down? It would be awesome if a writer like Erik Larson tackled the subject since his books read more like novels rather than dry, boring history text books.

Of the main characters these are real people:

Charles Vane
Jack Rackham
Anne Bonny
Benjamin Hornigold
Woodes Rogers
Israel Hands
Blackbeard

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

A black sails adaptation of treasure island would be dope

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Put a coat on Flint the parrot!

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Phenotype posted:

But that's the point! It's a loving television show, it borrows the bits from history that it likes and makes up the rest, because it makes a fun story. Blackbeard may have fallen for the same trick he did IRL because they thought it was a neat way to do it, but Ned Lowe died in wildly different circumstances. It doesn't matter what actually happened in the history books because we are not watching a historical recreation, we're watching a fun pirate action drama.
But that's my point! My beef is not that the show changed history, it's how it changed it. Rackham going emo for Vane (and since now, presumably, Blackbeard) turned him into a stereotype of a daddy issues sufferer, which is especially painful because the historical Rackham didn't seem to care that much about either. Silver and Flint are now endlessly politically sermonizing. Boring *and* unnecessary, especially given that the historical pirates were not much for political foresight. (In fact, all this talk from Flint about "raising all the New World" stinks painfully of the show writers going, wink-wink, there will be a revolution in America within a century, so our Mary Sue will be vindicated then (ain't we clever).) And while Blackbeard dying without having achieved much was awesome, dying from a random neck wound could have been Khal Drogo level of fun.

It's not that they changed history, it's that history was more fun.

Inspector 34 posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations what books/resources I should look for to read up on how this all went down? It would be awesome if a writer like Erik Larson tackled the subject since his books read more like novels rather than dry, boring history text books.
Just read the General History of Pyrates, it's awesome and online for free.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'd find a modern edit of Pyrates. Makes it much easier to read. And honestly, pretty much anything written after that is just retelling the same information.

edit:
Under the Black Flag was pretty good too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

It's wasn't a lack of foresight that killed them, it was oversight.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

meristem posted:

But that's my point! My beef is not that the show changed history, it's how it changed it. Rackham going emo for Vane (and since now, presumably, Blackbeard) turned him into a stereotype of a daddy issues sufferer, which is especially painful because the historical Rackham didn't seem to care that much about either. Silver and Flint are now endlessly politically sermonizing. Boring *and* unnecessary, especially given that the historical pirates were not much for political foresight. (In fact, all this talk from Flint about "raising all the New World" stinks painfully of the show writers going, wink-wink, there will be a revolution in America within a century, so our Mary Sue will be vindicated then (ain't we clever).) And while Blackbeard dying without having achieved much was awesome, dying from a random neck wound could have been Khal Drogo level of fun.

It's not that they changed history, it's that history was more fun.

Just read the General History of Pyrates, it's awesome and online for free.

It's not based on history, it's based on Treasure Island, and Robert Louis Stevenson probably didn't know how most of the actual living pirates died or if the really truly lived. TI was written to romanticize the pirate era and its players, not to provide an accurate history lesson.

I thought Blackbeard actually died presumably from hanging on an island off the Carolinas, for instance. So what? Way more brutal to have him die from a shot to the head after being keelhauled three times and refusing to die.

The show is a historical fiction with liberties taken, based on a piece of classic literature that is a work of historical fiction with liberties taken.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

life is killing me posted:

TI was written to romanticize the pirate era and its players

To be fair, it really doesn't try to do that. Like Silver is a fairly ambiguous figure. He's kind of a bastard, but he also just sort of sees piracy as a job and plans to retire with his wife, and he's not particularly cruel or anything, but he will absolutely gently caress over anyone in any situation if it benefits him. And the other pirates are worse, lacking even his basic humanity. Jim in the beginning of the novel is certainly the type of lad to buy into all that adventure bullshit, but by the end he's all "Yeah there's totally silver still on that island, but gently caress if I'm going back for it. Land rocks, the sea sucks a hobos rear end in a top hat.". The story of pretty much all it's invented pirates not Silver is "Died of drinking too much, couldn't manage their money worth a drat" or "Brutally murdered". It's very much about the end of the age, and I don't know that it particularly spices up or romanticizes the lives of pirates. It's just told so well and Silver is such a powerful figure that it changed the consciousness in spite of that.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 16, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I loved Treasure Island as a kid. I have no idea how it isn't mandatory reading in school but the Scarlet loving Letter is. That book is a garbage fire of boredom and dated story telling. I refuse to believe it was ever held in any esteem out side of disconnected educators, even in its own time.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
this episode answered the age-old question for me of "What if Yukon Cornelius was an assassin"

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Oh you crazy Eleanor.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!
I hope Anne is okay, but if not what a way to go.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Nouvelle Vague posted:

I hope Anne is okay, but if not what a way to go.

I kind of read the scene as she saved everyone (who was left, anyway) by being a badass and sacrificing herself. Looked to me like she breathed her last in Jack's arms.

Having the serial cage matches was like the Black Sails equivalent of leaving James Bond to die in some kind of elaborate Rube Goldberg machine but not sticking around to watch it happen. A bad idea.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Were Jack and Anne really that infamous, though? I think as far as the British were concerned, it was Edward Teach and a bunch of random pirates. So if you've got this big hulking dude who wants to fight pirates and smash 'em with a hammer, let him go nuts, whatever.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I skipped seasons 2 and 3 and it doesn't seem like i needed them.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Season 2 was the best one though.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Season 2 was the best one though.

The cannon-loving of Charlestown by Vane's cronies was :sotw:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Were Jack and Anne really that infamous, though? I think as far as the British were concerned, it was Edward Teach and a bunch of random pirates. So if you've got this big hulking dude who wants to fight pirates and smash 'em with a hammer, let him go nuts, whatever.

Nah, "Calico" Jack Rackham is one of the big pirates of the era. Remember, he was the one who actually stole the Urca gold.

Speaking of which, it was kind of funny how last week had that bit where they just hand waved away last season's subplot about the Spanish attacking the island if they didn't get the money back.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

I skipped seasons 2 and 3 and it doesn't seem like i needed them.

That is strange.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don't need a story to see people getting brutally killed. I just fast forward the talking parts.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I actually fast forwarded through the parts in the last episode with only Max in it.

She just

talks

so

slow.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

She's also an uninteresting, trifling, long-winded character with an inflated sense of self-importance and always seems to be trying to reach above her station in everything. She constantly over-estimates her importance to others as well, and then it blows up in her face when she finds out she's not as important to whomever as she thought she was.

She's fun to look at but damned if I don't think she should've been killed off early in the show because ugh. It's not the actress at all; she's good except for the accent. It's the character.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
She's an important character because she's the only representation of Nassau's merchants/non-pirate residents, but yeah the character hasn't really been doing much for like 2 seasons.

I don't understand where in the past 2 seasons LJS's character became The Pirate King. I know when he lost his leg his crew started liking him more, but when did he became this pirate messiah character?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SHOAH NUFF posted:

She's an important character because she's the only representation of Nassau's merchants/non-pirate residents, but yeah the character hasn't really been doing much for like 2 seasons.

I don't understand where in the past 2 seasons LJS's character became The Pirate King. I know when he lost his leg his crew started liking him more, but when did he became this pirate messiah character?

He stomped a guys face in and then Billy concocted a wholesale propaganda word-of-mouth campaign to mythologize him. This then peaked with him presumably getting the credit for the pirates winning the season 3 finale.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Eleanor never bothered me until this last episode where they added MORE CLEVER ELEANOR PLOTTING for her, I just dont care for it. Really I think Silver shouldve said LOL gently caress YOU FLINT because the money is the ultimate motivator for the pirates, moreso than just having Nassau to themselves (only to be taken over again).

Felt real worried for Anne Bonney, it was a good scene though. I didnt think Jack Rackham would actually just start choosing pirates to fight, seemed cold blooded to me but shows he has some iron in him.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

life is killing me posted:

She's also an uninteresting, trifling, long-winded character with an inflated sense of self-importance and always seems to be trying to reach above her station in everything. She constantly over-estimates her importance to others as well, and then it blows up in her face when she finds out she's not as important to whomever as she thought she was.

She's fun to look at but damned if I don't think she should've been killed off early in the show because ugh. It's not the actress at all; she's good except for the accent. It's the character.

Yeah all of that too.

muscles like this! posted:

Nah, "Calico" Jack Rackham is one of the big pirates of the era. Remember, he was the one who actually stole the Urca gold.

Speaking of which, it was kind of funny how last week had that bit where they just hand waved away last season's subplot about the Spanish attacking the island if they didn't get the money back.

PlushCow posted:

Felt real worried for Anne Bonney, it was a good scene though. I didnt think Jack Rackham would actually just start choosing pirates to fight, seemed cold blooded to me but shows he has some iron in him.

Quoted both cause they're related. Jack might be a famous pirate now, but what about in the show though? I'm trying really hard to think of his accomplishments but I'm really not recalling anything. His claim to fame basically amounts to having been a pirate under Vane and on a "first name basis" with him so to speak, though I'm not really sure what his 'ranking' was among the crew. He stole some gold and then kind of ruled over(?) Nassau but I also remember he had a really hard time finding a crew. Blackbeard didn't seem to respect him as a pirate, just respected the fact that he was close to Vane. He certainly didn't respect his combat abilities.

I dunno, it just seems to me that the surviving crew really have no reason to follow or accept his leadership. I would have thought he would have been thrown overboard immediately. He was a captain, but he wasn't "their" captain. I'd bet that Blackbeard's crew had the utmost 100% loyalty and fanaticism towards Blackbeard himself and Jack picking someone to basically die for him doesn't seem like it would go well at all. Especially cause there was absolutely no hesitation on Jack's part. And then he did it again, and again, and again. I thought Jack lost the crew the moment he didn't stand up to fight (and die) for himself because that's what Blackbeard would have done, and his crew just watched Blackbeard literally refuse to die.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
To add to your point, you would think that there would be a seething, murderous resentment towards him from Blackbeard's crew even before this episode's events due to Jack's choking under pressure while in captaincy of Queen Anne's Revenge, placing his emotions and personal feelings above thoughts of his crew's best interests/survival and delivering all of Blackbeard's men up for execution by Rogers with his totally unnecessary and easily avoidable surrender of the Queen Anne's Revenge.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Yeah I'm not really sure why he did that, probably entirely for Anne though. Do you think Anne would have done the same? I mean yeah they care about each other but Anne's not stupid and even said in the last episode that the only ending for them would be a public hanging in London. If she knows that then I'd imagine either herself or Blackbeard, if they were the captain on board, would have chosen to blow their ship apart and save some of the crew (and live to rebuild) rather than getting them all captured and killed.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I really liked this show awhile back. The "revelation" with Flynn was pretty interesting, and everyone had their particular goals, but now it's all mixed and hosed up in a not-cool way where the motivations of each character don't make sense anymore. The girls are the worst, and I'm a girl and was routing for all the pirate girls in a silly way ( I mean, they are like 20-1 as far as main characters) and now, out of the 3,
one is probably dead,
and literally the only other two are traitorous or semi-traitorous to the pirate" cause, turncoat jerks,

and the pirates are who you kinda who you want to win? right?
I mean, who is watching and routing for the British? :laffo:

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I edited that so poorly that it turned into mush, but I think I my point stands. Sorry though! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I think at this point you kinda have to laugh at Jack for not killing Rogers last season.

"Everyone you ever cared about is dead because you didn't kill this one guy when you had the chance."

• Locked thread