Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

You done hosed up, Silver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Well we certainly waited years for the unsheathing of that particular sword. drat.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I was hoping for Flint to give him some sort of speech. "We've sailed together for years; remember when I found you... "

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Joji :( .This whole series, I was afraid he was going to say one word, which would seal his fate as a redshirt and get himself killed. He died mute anyways.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dessel posted:

Well we certainly waited years for the unsheathing of that particular sword. drat.

It was a pretty good fight at least.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dessel posted:

I'd like to imagine that this was always the plan.

Also, man were there many dead long-time extras in this episode. I re-watched seasons 1-3 recently and this show really strives to keep the background actors around right up until the point where they die quick and horrible deaths. :(

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 27, 2017

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

nooneofconsequence posted:

I was hoping for Flint to give him some sort of speech. "We've sailed together for years; remember when I found you... "

Yeah was expecting at least one of them to jump ship. It seems weird that no one sided with Flint over this.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Flint did nothing wrong

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Dessel posted:

Wait really? He's never used his katana before?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
As always with this series the bookends of the season are always the best.

The whole freedom stuff seems to trying to call forward to the American Revolution especially since it's railing against British rule. That feels hamfisted, even if that's not what the writers intend.

It's worth noting that regardless of how silly the pirate revolution feels, it is going to fail horribly and never really gets off the ground so it's not like they're trying to portray this as some kind of incredible moment for freedom in history.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Dreylad posted:

As always with this series the bookends of the season are always the best.

The whole freedom stuff seems to trying to call forward to the American Revolution especially since it's railing against British rule. That feels hamfisted, even if that's not what the writers intend.

It's worth noting that regardless of how silly the pirate revolution feels, it is going to fail horribly and never really gets off the ground so it's not like they're trying to portray this as some kind of incredible moment for freedom in history.

You know multiple colonies rebeled in the Carribean before the American Revolution right?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm so mad RE: Joji

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm so mad RE: Joji

4 seasons. 4 god damned seasons. At the very beginning he's sharpening that damned sword. Is it too much to ask that he use it to slash through half the British empire?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

that sword sure did make a lot of sounds. I didn't know metal could be so noisy.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Baronjutter posted:

that sword sure did make a lot of sounds. I didn't know metal could be so noisy.

Assuming people are not firing guns, yes banging swords is really noisy.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

You know multiple colonies rebeled in the Carribean before the American Revolution right?

yeah but I'm not really expecting that kind of historical depth from the show. maybe I'm being too harsh!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

unlawfulsoup posted:

Assuming people are not firing guns, yes banging swords is really noisy.

Sounds kinda dangerous.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Flint did nothing wrong

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

MiddleOne posted:

Sounds kinda dangerous.

I wish I were joking, but I have filmed people doing it and have participated myself. I have also been around re-enactors who get very into swinging said swords.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

unlawfulsoup posted:

I wish I were joking, but I have filmed people doing it and have participated myself. I have also been around re-enactors who get very into swinging said swords.

After banging them? Sounds kinda gross.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
Well I stayed up stupid late to watch this early. It was super satisfying.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

MiddleOne posted:

After banging them? Sounds kinda gross.

Well you have to have bonded after smashing your steel together, amirite. Frankly blanks are worse because gently caress tinnitus.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Fauxshiz posted:

Jack and Anne continue to be the absolute best part of this show.

Glad that Silver had the insight to finally call Flint's little war for the nonsense act of blind rage that it was. Also glad that cooler heads prevailed in the Maroon camp. I wish Flint suffered for all the people who had died following his stupid ideas, but the show at least made the effort to convince me that at least this way, there are no martyrs.

Best part, no freedom-fighter pirate ideologues anywhere in sight.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Fauxshiz posted:

I thought it was satisfying as well, and they did a good job of ending it while maneuvering people into their historical or Treasure Island lives. Ending it with Jack and Anne, along with their new crewmate worked really well.

This show could be uneven at times but they always did a great job at the finales and the series finale is no exception. :yarr:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Flint :unsmith:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha poor Billy. Anyone mind steering me in some direction on how to watch/read/listen to Treasure Island?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

A library

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MiddleOne posted:

Haha poor Billy. Anyone mind steering me in some direction on how to watch/read/listen to Treasure Island?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILRjSDD_vLQ
This is the best version of treasure island.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I just assumed that there's a Frankenstein situation here with right and wrong ways to go about it since the only context I've ever heard about it outside of this show is in reference to US lit classes. :v:

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

MiddleOne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4VQUVd7RPU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ok I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love my "dead" gay pirate captain.

Everything turned out as nice as possible. Last episode I made a list of demands to my wife saying how I wanted the show to end and if anything the actual ending was even more optimistic. I'm very happy for my nice beard guy and his new post. Not sure why silver is going to go off and search for that treasure though.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Nice call on giving Rackham closing honors.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Great finale. As noted everything was super satisfying. Seeing Rogers get publically humiliated was a very fitting end to his arc and much better than if he was just killed off during the fight.

Flint's end was good, and I liked that they threw in a little drama with Silver and Madi to keep you guessing if they'd have a happy ending until the last scenes.

Ending with Rackham was excellent him continuing his adventures with Anne and Mark Read was fantastic.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

Ending with Rackham was excellent him continuing his adventures with Anne and Mark Read was fantastic.

Loved the eye roll Anne gave when Read told her her name was Mark. Calico Jack's logo is still best one, a classic.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Really glad this show stuck the ending. Absolutely loved the way they resolved everything.

For some reason it didn't seem too sappy that Flint not only wasn't shot, but got a happy ending of sorts with William. Going into this I wouldn't have thought I'd buy an ending where Flint didn't end up dead, but I still thought that felt about perfect.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My seasonal allergies got really really bad when flint was reunited with his love.

Also during the ending montage when we see what's her name finally back home with her 2 kids, I wonder if that was actually their 2 kids? They've got 2 daughters about that age.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 3, 2017

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Sooo was Flint sold into slavery basically or was Thomas bought for his freedom?

Fantastic ending to a fantastic show, in any case. Toby Stephens loving killed it.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
That was a really satisfying conclusion. They did a pretty good job.

Crap now what, this filled the role of Spartacus for me and now its over. Is there another historical fantasy show in the pipeline other than that white princess thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Roman Reigns posted:

Sooo was Flint sold into slavery basically or was Thomas bought for his freedom?

Fantastic ending to a fantastic show, in any case. Toby Stephens loving killed it.

I think it was basically a minimum-security prison colony in Savannah that the upper-class in Britain used to send away people that they couldn't have in public, like their gay son who had unacceptable ideas about pardoning the pirates of Nassau. I imagine it's a mix of well-to-do political prisoners and crazy/gay relatives of wealthy families.

• Locked thread